Author Topic: Edward Ellis look up please (Glyn Ceiriog possibly)  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Jacrista

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Ellis look up please (Glyn Ceiriog possibly)
« on: Thursday 06 September 12 15:27 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any info, look ups, or anything about Edward Ellis, he has a son George, born 1826 in Bakewell derbyshire, George later moved to Chesterfield, George did I think start out as Taylor, his mothers maiden name, I've found all of George's children, census etc but his father Edward remains elusive, I hope someone can help.
I found a bit about him in a 'Settlement Examination' that says he is a miller living in Bakewell born Glyncarrick Co Denbigh, (I wonder if this should be Glyn Ceiriog) I can't find any records of him at all, he married Mary Taylor in 1828 with whom he had a child before marriage, I assume it to be George, I don't know what year Edward was born, died, his parents names or anything, so any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks

Offline redrose27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Ellis look up please (Glyn Ceiriog possibly)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've also been trying to find out about this Edward Ellis and having seen the copy of the Settlement Examination, like you, wondered if his birthplace could have been Glyn Ceiriog.  Anyway, I've checked the baptisms in the Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog parish registers and there is an entry for 28 August 1794 which shows an Edward (Humphreys) Elliis as base-born son of Edward Humphreys and Elizabeth Ellis.  There are very few others with the name of Ellis and none of those match.  Obviously, this may not be him but it's a possibility.  He's quite an elusive chap, isn't he?!!
Best wishes
Theresa

Offline LWEllis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 12 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, i'm so glad someone else is trying to research Edward and George Ellis. George Ellis is my X4 great grandfather. I believe George Ellis died 28/10/1892 in Chesterfield Union Workhouse. On his marriage certificate to Elizabeth White his father is indeed down as Edward Ellis, listed as a miller. The censuses on ancestry aren't very helpful for George in 1841 and can't find no trace of Edward either. I believe this is the right Edward from Glyn Ceiriog and that he did marry Mary Taylor. I also have the settlement extractions. Would love to find out what info you have and how you are related.

Leigh Ellis

Offline redrose27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 October 12 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Leigh
Edward Ellis was my 3rd ggg grandfather.  My grandmother was Mary Winifred Ellis who was the daughter of Edwin Ellis who was the son of Samuel Ellis (son of Edward).  The only information I have on Edward is from the Settlement Exam. and his date of marriage to Mary Taylor.  Samuel's marriage certificate of 1858 shows his father as Edward Ellis, occupation miller (like George's).  It didn't show father as deceased so it seems that Edward was still alive at that time and still working as a miller.  However, I've not been able to find anything on the census records that really point to 'our' Edward (or Mary).  I don't really know for sure if they had anymore children together, whether they stayed together or just managed to avoid all the census returns!

Anyway, I'll keep searching re-post if I find anything.
Theresa

Offline LWEllis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 October 12 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Theresa,
thanks for replying. Edward and Mary are really elusive on the censuses. I didn't even know that George had a brother called Samuel. What year was Samuel born? and who did he marry in 1858? I really hope we have the same family tree connection in Edward. My lineage is Edward, George, James 1852-1930, Harry 1875-1947, Leslie 1911-1980, Leslie David and Steven Ronald. I have George Ellis marrying Elizabeth White and having the following children, Henry, John, William, Edward, Mary A and Maria. Is this the same on your tree.

Thanks

Leigh

Offline redrose27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 October 12 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Leigh

Samuel was born in Bakewell to Mary and Edward in September 1832 and married Hannah Taylor in Sheffield in 1858.

I think we do have the same tree as I also have George Ellis who married Elizabeth White.  I believe he was the child 'born before marriage' as mentioned on the Settlement Exam. and was originally George Taylor?

So far, these are the only two children that definitely seem to share the same parents.  Ancestry have a few trees that show there was also a Henry Ellis born in 1835/6 but Family Search only show a Mary Ellis as mother, with no mention of Edward, so I'm not too sure if it's the same Mary.  So many possibilities with nothing really conclusive!

Best wishes
Theresa

Offline LWEllis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 October 12 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Theresa,
Thanks for the info. Im pretty sure now then that we have the same George. It is annoying we seem to have hit a dead end with Edward. If I find anything else out i'll let you know.

Leigh   

Offline Lynn S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 March 16 17:26 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old post but Im hoping someone may still be interested. I have been trying to trace this family for some years as my son is the 5xgt-grandson of Edward through his son Samuel born 1832. On the notes I have about the settlement it states 2 children born before marriage to Mary Taylor. George was born 1826 so there is poss another child to discover & I am trying to tie in an Edward Ellis who Ive found on 1871 census born around 1821 living in Wales with a wife called Elizabeth who was born 1832 in Brampton Derbyshire. Also Henry Ellis born 1836 in Bakewell is living in Brampton in 1851 with Mary Ellis a widow born 1798 who is a housekeeper. This Henry is poss the one who on his burial in 1885 in Sheffield has been living at the same address as his brother Samuel who dies in 1887. I haven't been able to find anything about this Mary who is a housekeeper in 1851 or about Edward born around 1792. Would anyone have any up to date info on this family.
Lynn