Author Topic: Robert H and Jane Wilson  (Read 7054 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert H and Jane Wilson
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 September 12 02:45 BST (UK) »
Hello June

Recently got an alert to another thread where you'd asked the question about the Robert and Jane WILSON buried at Kaiapoi.   But I had made a note of the Robert Hamilton WILSON (and wife Jane) you were searching for when I next visited the library (to check place of death of Robert Hamilton WILSON, died 1914).

Beg has just beaten me to posting the Addington burials for your couple ...  :D  .

However, some further info ...

It appears that there is an M/I (headstone inscription) for Robert Hamilton WILSON (and possibly also for Jane), at Addington Cemetery.

Robert Hamilton WILSON
d. 1914  -- aged 70 years
Addington Cemetery, Christchurch  - M/I
Reference (microfiche - Addington Cemetery burials) Q10.01

I did try to find this, but my library appears to be missing the particular microfiche (or as often happens - the fiche had been mis-filed).  ::)

So if you have access at your local library to the NZSG Cemetery microfiche, then you should be able to find it with the above reference number.

~  Lu

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 September 12 09:44 BST (UK) »
Here is a possible marriage for a Samuel marrying an Elsie
Year   1918
Surname   WOODHAM Given Names   Elsie May
Spouse   Samuel WILSON

Bye
Althea

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 September 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Althea. I see in the Four Ships project that someone has a write up under Thomas Wilson, son of Robert and Margaret.  Papers past has the death of Margaret Wilson wife of Robert Wilson, aged 56 in the Press on 4 march 1876. There is also a marriage announcement of Wiliam Marshall youngest son of the late Mr Robert Wilson of the Seven Mile Peg, North Rd to Margaret Hanna on 18 November 1890. I am thinking that the Robert Hamilton Wilson that I am looking for may have been second generation to NZ.

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 September 12 11:18 BST (UK) »
Canterbury 1st Four Ships Records

Name
WILSON Robert
Date 16 Dec 1850
Age 35
Occupation Labourer
Accomodation Embarked at Plymouth
Ship Charlotte Jane
Embarkation Plymouth

Margaret was 32, Thomas infant, Sarah 4, Samuel 6

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 September 12 11:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Althea, I have just ordered death certificates for R H Wilson dod 1914 and Jane Wilson dod 1945. (The couple who are buried in the Addington cemetery.) Hopefully these will be the right ones and may lead me back.  Regards, June

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 09:46 BST (UK) »
Death Certificates have arrived.

Robert Hamilton Wilson, Farmer DOD 31 Oct 1914, aged 70. where died North Rd, Belfast. Father William Wilson, Mother, Margaret Wilson formerly Hamilton, Prof of father, Farmer. Where buried, Addington. Where born, Cty? Down Ireland, How long in NZ, about 55 years. Married 1). Chch aged about 23, Margaret Moffat, 2). Chch aged 40, Jane Wilson. Living issue at date of death 1) 1 male 44, 2 Female 43,41. 2). 2 males, 27,23, 5 females, 28,26,24,21,19.

Jane Wilson, widow, dod 21 Oct 1945, aged 85. Address 778 North Road, Belfast. Father John Wilson, Mother Margaret Wilson (Dunlop), Prof of father, Labourer. Buried Crematorium Bromley 23 Oct 1945. Where born County Down, Ireland, how long in NZ over 61 years. Married in CHch aged 24 to Robert Hamilton Wilson. Issue living m, 60,53. F 61,58,56,51,49

They appear to be the couple however the ages of the children are slightly out of alignment. Perhaps the family member reporting Jane's death had a faulty memory? Interesting that there is a plot for Jane at Addington. Off to the crematorium society next.  Regards, June

Offline Bruce B Barker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 June 14 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there. My great grandfather was Robert Wilson with Jane Mackie as his wife. There were a few Wilsons in the Kaiapoi area and is confusing. The above were from Scotland - Castle Douglas and Dumfries. They emigrated to Lyttelton on the "Joseph Fletcher" July 1856. (I have the embarkation order) Robert's brother was William (Cabbage" Wilson who was first mayor of Christchurch in 1868.

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there. My great grandfather was Robert Wilson with Jane Mackie as his wife. There were a few Wilsons in the Kaiapoi area and is confusing. The above were from Scotland - Castle Douglas and Dumfries. They emigrated to Lyttelton on the "Joseph Fletcher" July 1856. (I have the embarkation order) Robert's brother was William (Cabbage" Wilson who was first mayor of Christchurch in 1868.

Thank you Bruce. You will be able to find a lot of information on the general family. I was lucky enough to be gifted a copy of the book "The Seven Mile Peg" which is quite detailed on my husbands ancesters brother and family. There was also a wrong turn in getting a death cert for Jane Wilson buried at Kaiapoi, husband Robert. She was Jane McConnell. So many Jane and Robert Wilsons! Thank you for the history of the Joseph Fletcher, I had viewed this list and not ruled it out. Kind regards, June

Offline paul tobeck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 October 14 06:39 BST (UK) »
Robert Hamilton arrived lyttleton chch on .21.2.1856 aboard sir Edmund Paget.with his mother and brothers samuel and Johnny,sister agnes.his father and brother william arriving earlier.he initially married Margaret Moffat,producing William,Mary,and Margaret.upon.her death he married Jane,having  7 more children.violet born 1884 m Arthur buckley.1885 robert hamilton.nm.agnes 1887 m Robinson? Sarah b 1889, samuel (my grandfather) b1891 m Elsie may woodland.Annie b 1893 m j.murfitt,and finally Amy in 1895. Unsure where the Hamilton came from but at least two in each generation have that middle name.violet had 5 children Jean,Arthur.Ella,Leila,and Nancy. I have complete family tree of r.h.Wilson's descendants researched by my aunt some 50 yrs ago .