Author Topic: The Falcon Public House History (woore)  (Read 5840 times)

Offline evad13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Falcon Public House History (woore)
« on: Friday 07 September 12 17:18 BST (UK) »
Are there any good resources on pub histories throughout England?

I am researching a relative who is listed as the publican of the Falcon in Woore around 1850 and was wondering if the current Falcon in Woore would be the same Falcon as linted in 1850
Collier - in Cheshire / Shropshire
Blakemore - in Staffordshire

Offline Black Night

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Wife's Cat Guinness
    • View Profile
Re: The Falcon Public House History (woore)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi evad13
As far as I know the picture you have is the original Falcon I am lead to believe it was built in the early 19th century. You will see the Brewery that own the pub is Marstons ,from Burton upon Trent  I have lived in this area for over 40 years and it in that time has always been a Marstons pub. There is a chance that Marstons may have a record of ex Licensee's  their address is; Marstons Brewery, Shobnal Road, Burton upon Trent, Derbyshire. England. I was a licensee for Marstons in this area for many years and wife  is a Woore girl, her family come from Woore. Woore is quite a small country village where everybody knows everybody.  do you know if you still have relatives in the area , if so tell me their name and I could possibly look them up for you. Can you tell the name of your licensee relative.  Are you looking for anything specific about pubs in England or just the Falcon. BN.

Offline evad13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hi evad13
It's Dave ;-) 

There is a chance that Marstons may have a record of ex Licensee's  their address is; Marstons Brewery, Shobnal Road, Burton upon Trent, Derbyshire. England.
I will have to contact them, even if just to see if it was the original Falcon

I was a licensee for Marstons in this area for many years and wife  is a Woore girl, her family come from Woore. Woore is quite a small country village where everybody knows everybody.  do you know if you still have relatives in the area , if so tell me their name and I could possibly look them up for you. Can you tell the name of your licensee relative.  Are you looking for anything specific about pubs in England or just the Falcon. BN.
Thanks for replying,  I am sure there must be some distant relatives still around Woore.

I am looking at my Mothers side of the family, so far I have got back to Charles Collier (1815-1888) who was married to Sarah Edgeley (1817-1876) (My mother was a Collier)

1815 Charles was born in Woore
1851 we find him in Nantwich, a victualler and Butcher The other side of my mothers family, the Whistons come from the Natwich Area
1861 we find them in Stapeley with Charles listed as a "Butcher"
1871 and he is back in Woore as the Publican of the Falcon and Farmer of 21 acres
1881 still publican of the falcon
he dies in 1888 Leaving behind John, Alfred, Emma, Henry Edwin and Levi.

Right through until my Grandmother died in 1961 there were always Colliers and Whistons around the Nantwich/Crewe area.
My interest was in if it was the same building.  The census form just lists the address as the Falcon, Woore.  His son John ends up in 1891 moving out of Woore as the publican of the Elephant and Castle in Wybunbury.   Must have happened sometime around the same time as the death of his Father.

We moved to Canada back in '71, so now trying to keep the family history alive on this side of the pond.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 10:54 BST (UK) »
You can see the location of the Falcon Inn in 1880 -

"old maps"    http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html

Click on link. Enter co-ordinates    373114   342362
When maps finished loading, click on "Enlarge map 1880 Shropshire".
When loaded into main window, click on main window

regards

Offline evad13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 13:10 BST (UK) »
You can see the location of the Falcon Inn in 1880 -

"old maps"    http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html

Click on link. Enter co-ordinates    373114   342362
When maps finished loading, click on "Enlarge map 1880 Shropshire".
When loaded into main window, click on main window

regards
Thank you so much...   based on that map it is safe to say that the present day falcon is at the very least on the same plot and most probably is the same building.

--
Dave

Offline Black Night

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Wife's Cat Guinness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 September 12 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave.
My genealogy mind has been working over time. I spoke to my mother in law today regarding the Falcon Woore. I asked her if the name Collier rang a bell. Before I mention the Falcon she said there was old Mrs Collier who lived in the cottage by the shops(as they are now) that is opposite the Falcon. Jean my M.i.L. remembers her from when she was a young girl in the fifties. her daughter Amy married a Chap called Brown (she doesn't recall his first name) they had children Gordon, Geoffrey,Boys And a daughter called Evlin,( Jean said it wasn't Evelin). Working out how old Jean was at the time and Amy's children I estimate old Mrs Collier would have been around 70 to 80 years old being born around 1870 to 1880.  would her Husband who we believe was  dead then been your relations son?.  Jean worked in both the Falcon and the Swan in Woore in the  1970's and 80's Gordon Brown who she knew well also worked in those two pubs. The Earliest  Landlord she remembers of the Falcon was a Harold Bourne his wife Janet. Harold's father, Billy, was a Baker and his Shop and Bakery was, would you believe , next to old Mrs Collier's cottage.  Jean is curious as to who you are and if you lived in or around Woore. Her single name was Timmis , her father being Joe Timmis. She married Derek Woodcock he came from Onnerley.  Up until the early 1990's she lived in Woore, now living in Market Drayton. she was 70 this year. I would be interested to know if any of this means anything to you. I'm sure Jean would too. Happy hunting Dave.  Just one last thing Jean believes that at one time there was a postcard of Woore showing Old Mrs Collier, with, a white apron on, the cottage in the back ground.    

Offline Tryingtotrace1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 November 16 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace my father's ancestors who are Colliers.  We have just travelled to see the Falcon Inn in Woore, where my great great grandfather was the landlord in the 1880's and also farmed some 20 acres.  His son, John, was my great grandfather, who then went on, with his wife Elizabeth Bentley, to manage the Elephant and Castle in Wybunbury.  Their children, Frank, Emily and John, then went to live with their maternal uncle and aunt, George and Emily Lindop in Brook House, Basford.
If this information ties in with your family, please let me know.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 November 16 19:34 GMT (UK) »
End of an era?

The Wellington Journal, 3 April 1886
POLICE COURT - Saturday

Transfers - On the application of Mr Onions, the license of the Falcon Inn, Woore, was transferred from Charles Collier to John Wilding.

Offline evad13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 November 16 14:21 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace my father's ancestors who are Colliers.  We have just travelled to see the Falcon Inn in Woore, where my great great grandfather was the landlord in the 1880's and also farmed some 20 acres.  His son, John, was my great grandfather, who then went on, with his wife Elizabeth Bentley, to manage the Elephant and Castle in Wybunbury.  Their children, Frank, Emily and John, then went to live with their maternal uncle and aunt, George and Emily Lindop in Brook House, Basford.
If this information ties in with your family, please let me know.

Just sent you a PM..