Author Topic: James Hopkins Born 1879 County Carlow - Hopkins Family Tree  (Read 36019 times)

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Hopkins Born 1879 County Carlow - Hopkins Family Tree
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 20 August 15 01:55 BST (UK) »
Is anyone making any progress on these lines?

James Hopkins C1836) married Ellen Smith in 1864.   Who were his parents?

Are there any direct male Hopkins descendants who have done a DNA test?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Tojo65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 03 January 16 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am related to Margaret McWilliams who was the sister of my gggrandfather John Heny McWilliams who moved to Birkenhead, Cheshire some time in the 1870's (I am also a McWilliams). I have a copy of her marriage from the Irish records:- Margaret married Nicholas HOPKINS on 20th May 1872 in the Church of Tullow, Tullow, County Carlow, Ireland according to the Rites & Ceremonies of the Church of Ireland. Information from the marriage certificate:-

Margaret McWILLIAMS, of full age, spinster, a Servant, living in the Parish of Tullow, daughter of Robert McWILLIAMS, a Post-Man &c, married Nicholas HOPKINS, of full age, widower, a Cooper living in the Parish of Tullow, son of Ben HOPKINS, a Farmer.

The marriage was witnessed by John CARROLL & Richard MEREDITH.

I also have copies of the birth/death entries of their 10 children. This is the entry for James: James HOPKINS born 23rd September 1878 in The Mullawn, Tullow, Carlow, son of Nicholas HOPKINS of The Mullawn, Tullow, a Cooper, & Margaret HOPKINS formerly McWILLIAMS, registered by Margaret HOPKINS, mother, residing in Tullow on 25th October 1878.

The baptism from the church records: James born 25th September 1878, son of Nicholas and Margaret HOPKINS. Abode: Mullawn, Tullow, Carlow; father’s occupation – Cooper. Baptized 12th January 1879.

I have the following marriage from the Irish records:

11th May 1900 at St. Columba’s Church, Tullow, County Carlow, Ireland according to the Rites & Ceremonies of the Church of Ireland.

James HOPKINS, of full age, bachelor, a Cooper, living at ?, Tullow, son of Nicholas HOPKINS, a Cooper, married Mary TOOLE, of full age, spinster, living in Clure Street, Tullow, daughter of Timothy TOOLE, 4 Sergeant R.I.C.?

The marriage was witnessed by James HOPKINS & Margaret HOPKINS.

And this concerns Timothy Toole: Timothy TOOLE, born in Queens County, married, enlisted in the Royal Irish Constabulary in 1866, aged 19.
(Source: The Royal Irish Constabulary 1816 – 1921 on the Ancestry.com website).

Queens County was the former name of County Laois.

Looking at the 1901 census, taken on 31st March 1901, for Crosskeys, Tullow, James & Mary were living in Mary’s father’s household:-

Timothy TOOLE   Head   Roman Catholic   56      Police Pensioner RIC   Queens County
Johanna TOOLE   Wife   Roman Catholic   54      House Keeper      County Tipperary
Timothy TOOLE   Son   Roman Catholic   19y 6m      Labourer              County Carlow
Thomas TOOLE   Son   Roman Catholic   17y 3m   Labourer              County Carlow
Michael TOOLE   Son   Roman Catholic   14y 6m   Labourer              County Carlow
James TOOLE   Son   Roman Catholic   10y 4m   Scholar         County Carlow

James HOPKINS   Head   Church of England   22      Cooper         County Carlow
Mary HOPKINS   Wife   Roman Catholic           24      House Keeper      County Carlow
Mary HOPKINS   Daur   Roman Catholic           2y 1m                County Carlow

In 1911 James wasn’t at home but Mary was not a widow either so perhaps he was working elsewhere, perhaps England.

The 1911 census for Barrack Street, Tullow, taken 2nd April 1911:-

Mary HOPKINS      Head   Roman Catholic   36      Seamstress   County Carlow
Mary HOPKINS      Daur   Roman Catholic   11      Scholar      County Carlow
Margaret HOPKINS   Daur   Roman Catholic     9      Scholar      County Carlow
Sarah HOPKINS   Daur   Roman Catholic             8      Scholar      County Carlow
James HOPKINS   Son   Roman Catholic             6                County Carlow
Annie HOPKINS   Daur   Roman Catholic             5                County Carlow
Nicholas HOPKINS   Son   Roman Catholic     3                County Carlow
John TOOLE      Broth.Roman Catholic   34      Labourer      County Carlow

Mary had been married for 12 years with 7 children born alive, 6 of which were still living.

I hope this helps with your search.

Tony McWilliams

Offline Andy D

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 April 16 19:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Tony, this confirms that I traced the correct family.

I wonder where James was in 1911 then?

Regards

Andy
West Cornforth War Memorial
Denholm/ Denham - East Lothian
Denholm - Fife
McKenzie - East Lothian
McKenzie Redcastle, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland
Hudson - County Durham
Hudson - Worcestershire & Staffordshire.
Smart - Worcestershire & Staffordshire.
Sidaway - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Parry - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Billingham - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Dowler - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Hall  - County Durham and North Yorkshire
Gorst - Liverpool
Gorst - Cheshire Wales

Offline kierandoody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 April 16 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy, I am a descendant of James's first daughter Mary, I believe James left Ireland following his  brother to the USA. I have copy of passenger list supporting this but never succeeded in finding out what happened to him.

Offline Peggy Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 26 February 17 08:11 GMT (UK) »

Uncle Jack Hopkins came to America to join his older sisters  Sarah, Anna, and Margaret Susan Hopkins, my grandmother. The sisters came to Rochester, New York. Uncle Jack became the first State Trooper of New York State. I can send you a picture. My grandmother Margaret Susan, born in  1885 in County Carlow, took the Oceanic to New York in 1903.  I was named after both my grandmother, Margaret, and my great-grandmother, Margaret McWilliams.
There are several other descendants in the Rochester area who are interested in the genealogy. One of them started a group in the nineteen-nineties called "The Daughters of Margaret".
My sisters and I are traveling to Ireland, and Carlow, in late June and early July 2017. We hope to find the house at 7 the Course, Tullow, where the family lived. We hope to find the grave of Margaret McWilliams and Nicholas Hopkins.

Offline Peggy Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 February 17 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Margaret McWilliams was my great-grandmother. Her daughter Margaret Hopkins left Ireland as the third of a chain migration in the early nineteen hundreds. Her brother Jack Hopkins was the first state trooper of New York state, he liked to say, since he was the first man sworn-in of the first graduating class of New York State troopers. As a wee lass I loved to hear the siblings talk in their lilting brogue. Uncle Jack had two wives, also, and his first daughter, Peggy Hopkins drove cross country in the nineteen-fifties through the Columbia Gap to become a social working in Tacoma, Washington. I enjoyed her stories and family tales before she died a few years ago, in Tacoma.

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 03 July 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I am sorry that I am so long in following up, but I have not been too active in this branch for a while.   Yes Peggy, I would be most interested in getting in touch with your family in the New York State area.   For starters, could you fill in the lineage that takes you back to Margaret McWilliams.

My records show that her husband Nicholas Hopkins was born in 1828, and that he had been previously married.  His father was a Benjamin Hopkins who was a farmer.   Does anyone know where his farm was?  Does Wexford or Garryhasten ring any bells?  Did Nicholas have any siblings?   A Benjamin Hopkins was baptised at Clonegal in 1801...parents Robert Hopkins and Jane Gough...could this be Nich's father?

My specific interest is to find out how your ancestor Benjamin would possibly be related to the larger Hopkins family who were centred in the County Wicklow area, but had Carlow relatives living at Ballybit north of Tullow near Rathvilly.  They descend from a William Hopkins (c1765???) who I "believe" was a son of a John Hopkins of Strathnakelly near Shillelagh.

If anyone can add further light on the Carlow Hopkins/Wicklow Hopkins link it would be most appreciated.

Are there ANY LIVING MALE HOPKINS who would be interested in doing a DNA test.   This would prove the link and maybe help us identify at which generation it was .

Please post replies to this link to keep the stream going but I would appreciate getting an email copy at (*)

Good hunting

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Jacqueline Hopkins Ardner

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 24 August 17 03:29 BST (UK) »
I just joined this site so bear with me.  My father was John (Jack) Hopkins and brother of James Hopkins.  Their parents were Nicholas and Margaret Mc Williams Hopkins.  My Father joined his sisters in America in 1907.  I remember hearing about his brother Jim who disappeared one night leaving his wife Anna .  I don't know how many children they had but know they had a daughter Lucille .  They lived in Napanoch NY near where we lived but the family later moved back to Chicago after he disappeared i think that was about 1942?  I was a very small child when he disappeared and don't remember him. One thing I do know is my father never heard from him again or knew what happened to him.  My father died in 1963 and my sister Peg (Margaret)Hopkins died in 2001.  I am hoping I can learn more about my ancestors and also other relatives.  Do I have any Hopkins kin in Tullow?  I know I probably have relatives in Rochester NY where my Aunts settled. Am wondering when my Gradfather Nicholas Hopkins died?  My Father hoped he would live to be 100 like his Father. Unfortunately he didn't make it.

Linn Hopkins Ardner in Temecula, CA