Author Topic: James Hopkins Born 1879 County Carlow - Hopkins Family Tree  (Read 36181 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Hopkins Born 1879 County Carlow - Hopkins Family Tree
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 24 August 17 08:29 BST (UK) »
for reference some birth's
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kkv/

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline kierandoody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 14:56 BST (UK) »

I just joined this site so bear with me.  My father was John (Jack) Hopkins and brother of James Hopkins.  Their parents were Nicholas and Margaret Mc Williams Hopkins.  My Father joined his sisters in America in 1907.  I remember hearing about his brother Jim who disappeared one night leaving his wife Anna .  I don't know how many children they had but know they had a daughter Lucille .  They lived in Napanoch NY near where we lived but the family later moved back to Chicago after he disappeared i think that was about 1942?  I was a very small child when he disappeared and don't remember him. One thing I do know is my father never heard from him again or knew what happened to him.  My father died in 1963 and my sister Peg (Margaret)Hopkins died in 2001.  I am hoping I can learn more about my ancestors and also other relatives.  Do I have any Hopkins kin in Tullow?  I know I probably have relatives in Rochester NY where my Aunts settled. Am wondering when my Gradfather Nicholas Hopkins died?  My Father hoped he would live to be 100 like his Father. Unfortunately he didn't make it.

Linn Hopkins Ardner in Temecula, CA

:o :o :o

If this turns out to be the same James Hopkins (my great grandfather) then the following may be a shock to you...
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Carlow/Tullow/Cross_Keys/1044450/

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 21 October 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
I saw the information from Linn Hopkins Ardner regarding James Hopkins of Tullow.   He was born Sept 25 1878 and was married to a Mary Toole on May 11, 1900 at Tullow.   They had a number of children and are listed on the Irish Census of 1901 and 1911.   I know nothing of him going to the US or having a wife "Anna"

Would be interested in any clarifications.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 21 October 17 22:51 BST (UK) »
This would be a obvious case for DNA.

From what I can see. James of the 1901 census in Tullow was a cooper and there is indeed a cooper called James Hopkins, married, from Tullow, father Nicholas, estimated year of birth 1880, going to Rochester on the Teutonic in 1908.

I don't see James on the 1911 census in Ireland. Was he staying elsewhere?

'A' James, father of Lucille, married (about 1916 or 17) to 'Annie' appears on the 1930 Federal census in Chicago. He has five children, including Lucille. This man does not have a trade, or at least is not working as a cooper, rather peddling vegetables.

The same James appears to be in the 1920 Federal census, (Chicago) with Annie and three sons. He works as a labourer.

The 1920 James gives his naturalisation as 1917.

A James Hopkins is naturalised and his documents list him as from 'Carlow'.
His date of birth of the naturalisation documents is given as 27 September 1879.
In the petition (1918) he lists himself as not married.
In the declaration (1921) he lists himself as married to Anna and with a number of children, including Lucille.

Most interesting. I suppose the thing to look for would be a marriage cert. in the US for this James Hopkins and his Anna - to rule things in or out. The main thing I would find unusual is that a skilled man like a cooper took work as a labourer (if indeed they are the same person).

**edit A search for one of the sons, Terence Francis Hopkins, shows a mother's name as Anne Dunn.

There is a marriage in Cook County Illinois between a James Hopkins and an Annie Dunne on 3 Sep 1918. I guess that would be the cert to chase up to see if parents' names are mentioned.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 23 October 17 10:40 BST (UK) »
Saunders News-Letter 1866
------------
on the 23rd Aug at Mount Vernon Westchester New York
by the Rev. Mr Coffey
Isaac Haddock of New York to  Sarah Ann, daughter of Mr John Hopkins
Clonegal Carlow
===========================
Irish Times 1962
----------------
The engagement is announced between
William John-elder son of Mr and Mrs W Hopkins, Nurney Carlow
and Phyllis Elizabeth Mary
eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs T Salter, Raheen House Ballon Carlow
======================================
Jack

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hopkins Born 1879 County Carlow - Hopkins Family Tree
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting note on Sarah Hopkins, daughter of John Hopkins of Clonegal.

If she married in 1866, I would guess she was born circa 1846.

The only John Hopkins I can find in Clonegal at that time would be John Perrin Hopkins, born 1831.   I was told he had only one child...a son.

Any further information would be most appreciated.

Offline Tojo65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 03 November 17 00:09 GMT (UK) »
I was just reading through the last few posts & was thinking that if James Hopkins sailed for New York on the “Teutonic” in 1908, then that might explain why I can’t find him on the 1911 census or anywhere else.

Perhaps he left his wife Mary and their children & went to try his luck in the USA & didn’t return. He might have pretended that he wasn’t already married & then married Ann(i)e Dunn(e) in Illinois in 1918.

This is just speculation of course.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading  the posts about the descendants of my great-great-aunt Margaret McWilliams & her husband Nicholas & would very much enjoy to hear more about their children which settled in the US.

Tony McWilliams, Frankfurt, Germany