Author Topic: James Hopkins Born 1879 County Carlow - Hopkins Family Tree  (Read 24906 times)

Offline Tojo65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Hopkins Born 1879 County Carlow - Hopkins Family Tree
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarah, I knew that Nicholas was a widower when he married Margaret McWilliams but it never occurred to me that he might have had children from his 1st marriage.
Do you have his wife's name & when they married? It looks like her first name was Jane if my research is correct.

I have found the following birth/baptisms:
Robert, b. 26th March 1861, bap. 14th April 1861, son of Nicholas (a Cooper) & Jane, Tullow
Rebecca, b. 18th April 1863, bap. 10th May 1863, dr. of Nicholas (a Cooper) & Jane, Tullow
Mary Jane, b. 26th July 1865, bap. 13th Aug. 1865, dr. of Nicholas (a Cooper) & Jane, Tullow
Charlotte, b. 5th Sept. 1867, bap. 13th Oct. 1867, dr. of Nicholas (a Cooper) & Jane, Tullow

Are these people your great grandfather & great-great aunts?

I found the death of a Jane Hopkins in County Carlow, aged 34, 1870, 4th Quarter, Vol. 18. P. 295. That would place a birth around 1836.

I would be interested in any information you can add.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Hopkins Born 1879 County Carlow - Hopkins Family Tree
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 29 March 18 18:24 BST (UK) »
In Hackestown cemetery is a headstone..

erected by William Hopkins in memory of his brother
Guard Benjamin Hopkins, died Easter Saturday Holy Year
his father-Thomas Hopkins-11/8/1936
his mother-Bridget-2/7/1939
William Hopkins-Eagle Hill-20/1/1977 (aged 80)
=================================

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hopkins of Eaglehill buried Hacketstown 1936
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 19 May 18 22:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the long delay in responding and thank you for the tombstone inscription...

erected by William Hopkins in memory of his brother
Guard Benjamin Hopkins, died Easter Saturday Holy Year
his father-Thomas Hopkins-11/8/1936
his mother-Bridget-2/7/1939
William Hopkins-Eagle Hill-20/1/1977 (aged 80)

Thomas Hopkins of Eaglehill was born circa 1852...his father was a Benjamin Hopkins c1817-1883 and his mother was Margaret Unknown c1817-1882.
Benjamin and Margaret also had daughters Margaret circa 1837 and Elizabeth circa 1838, neither of whom were married in 1901, when they lived with their brother Michael at Eaglehill.

Thomas married Bridget Whelan Feb 1 1898 at Hacketstown RC

If anyone has any information on this family and how they were connected with the other Hopkins (mostly Protestant) of Co. Carlow and Co. Wicklow I would be most interested.