Author Topic: James Hopkins Born 1879 County Carlow - Hopkins Family Tree  (Read 36122 times)

Offline Tojo65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Hopkins Born 1879 County Carlow - Hopkins Family Tree
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarah, I knew that Nicholas was a widower when he married Margaret McWilliams but it never occurred to me that he might have had children from his 1st marriage.
Do you have his wife's name & when they married? It looks like her first name was Jane if my research is correct.

I have found the following birth/baptisms:
Robert, b. 26th March 1861, bap. 14th April 1861, son of Nicholas (a Cooper) & Jane, Tullow
Rebecca, b. 18th April 1863, bap. 10th May 1863, dr. of Nicholas (a Cooper) & Jane, Tullow
Mary Jane, b. 26th July 1865, bap. 13th Aug. 1865, dr. of Nicholas (a Cooper) & Jane, Tullow
Charlotte, b. 5th Sept. 1867, bap. 13th Oct. 1867, dr. of Nicholas (a Cooper) & Jane, Tullow

Are these people your great grandfather & great-great aunts?

I found the death of a Jane Hopkins in County Carlow, aged 34, 1870, 4th Quarter, Vol. 18. P. 295. That would place a birth around 1836.

I would be interested in any information you can add.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 29 March 18 18:24 BST (UK) »
In Hackestown cemetery is a headstone..

erected by William Hopkins in memory of his brother
Guard Benjamin Hopkins, died Easter Saturday Holy Year
his father-Thomas Hopkins-11/8/1936
his mother-Bridget-2/7/1939
William Hopkins-Eagle Hill-20/1/1977 (aged 80)
=================================

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hopkins of Eaglehill buried Hacketstown 1936
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 19 May 18 22:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the long delay in responding and thank you for the tombstone inscription...

erected by William Hopkins in memory of his brother
Guard Benjamin Hopkins, died Easter Saturday Holy Year
his father-Thomas Hopkins-11/8/1936
his mother-Bridget-2/7/1939
William Hopkins-Eagle Hill-20/1/1977 (aged 80)

Thomas Hopkins of Eaglehill was born circa 1852...his father was a Benjamin Hopkins c1817-1883 and his mother was Margaret Unknown c1817-1882.
Benjamin and Margaret also had daughters Margaret circa 1837 and Elizabeth circa 1838, neither of whom were married in 1901, when they lived with their brother Michael at Eaglehill.

Thomas married Bridget Whelan Feb 1 1898 at Hacketstown RC

If anyone has any information on this family and how they were connected with the other Hopkins (mostly Protestant) of Co. Carlow and Co. Wicklow I would be most interested.

Offline Peggy Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 20 May 19 04:14 BST (UK) »
This is Peggy Lynn Sherrell (Hopkins) checking in with the Hopkins clan of Tullow, County Carlow. Since 2017 there have been transatlantic meetings of these kins. Linn actually located some descendants of the elusive James, and included them on Facebook. Still many mysteries to solve.

Offline RufyGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 13 June 19 21:29 BST (UK) »
I have some more information about Nicholas Hopkins, cooper of Tullow, James' father that I pieced together when reconstructing all the Hopkins families around Clonegal.  I used the St. Fiaac's parish registers (see http://issuu.com/churchofireland/docs/clonegal_ferns) to trace all the baptisms, marriages and burials for Hopkins in the area and found the following evidence for Nicholas Hopkins [1826-1913]

Nicholas was baptised under his mother's maiden name on 27 AUG 1826 a week before his parents, Benjamin Hopkins of Garryhasten and Mary White married on 3 SEP 1826. 

Nicholas was also linked to his father by a shared profession - cooper - and also by the fact that I believe one of Nicholas's daughters (with wife Margaret McWilliams), Mary Jane Hopkins born in Tullow 1858, died (probably whilst visiting her grandparents at Garryhasten) in 1861 as she was buried in St. Fiaac's graveyard in Clonegal. 

Nicholas appeared to have moved to the parish of Tullow away from his Garryhasten siblings.  There may have been other Hopkins family connections in this area as the name is prevalent in the parish registers and there was another man - James Hopkins - working as a cooper in Tullowbeg.  It is possible that the Nicholas Hopkins I've found in Tullow could have been a sibling of this man, but for the time being, I'm persuaded by the other evidence I've found that there is a good connection between this man and the Garryhasten Hopkins.

Nicholas also appeared to have been a prolific sire - fathering 17 children with 2 different wives (1. Jane Gregg and 2. Margaret McWilliams) between the ages of 28 and 65(!) given his presumed 1826 birthdate.  However, later evidence for him (censuses and presumed death certificate) has his birthdate wandering quite alarmingly over nearly a 20 year period!
- 1901 census has him aged 60 and ba 1841 in Co. Wexford - this record corroborates him being a widower and cooper living at the Course, Tullow with 2 of his children by 2nd wife, Margaret.
- 1911 census has him aged 89 and ba 1822 in Co, Carlow, yet still living at the Course and as a widower cooper with his youngest daughter, Barbara.
- 1913 death candidate has him aged 76 and ba 1837, widower cooper dying in Tullow.

It could of course be 2 different men named Nicholas Hopkins who happened to be coopers in the Tullow area but I think the other corroborating evidence makes it more likely it is one and the same man.

Given I think he was the son of Benjamin Hopkins and Mary White of Garryhasten, I have also gone back a few more generations as follows (full citations recorded but some of the evidence is circumstantial e.g. shared graves, as the records for St. Fiaac's only date from 1792.)

I think that his father Benjamin Hopkins [1801-1884] was the son of Robert Hopkins [1762-1839] and his wife Jane (no marriage found yet.)  Benjamin was one of 7 siblings, two of whom had Gough as their middle name so this is perhaps a clue to their mother's maiden name - I haven't proved this yet?  Benjamin, like his son, also married twice - secondly to Margaret Doyle in 1842.  He had 3 sons with Mary White and 7 further children with Margaret Doyle.

Robert Hopkins was the son of Nicholas Hopkins [?-1787] and his wife, Sarah Brown [1735-1802] and was buried with them in St. Fiaac's churchyard.  I descend from Robert's presumed sister, Susannah Hopkins [1773-1844] who married a William Hopkins [1768-1809]  According to William's will, he had 2 brothers, Benjamin and Edward Hopkins both of Ballard Co. Wicklow, so perhaps she married a cousin?
Kayes & Hopkins (Wicklow), Jones & Empson (Carlow & Kilkenny), Riddell, Turnbull (Scotland)

Offline Peggy Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 14 June 19 05:53 BST (UK) »
Thank You Rufy G. I will have to dig out the Eire map and locate these places. The names, of course, are familiar. We grew up with the jests that our great-grandfather Hopkins was a prolific sire. Actually that came from my Dad, not a Hopkins. In the conformity of the post-war fifties, the ideal of nuclear family with one spouse for life held sway. Some realists were wont to poke some holes in that rigid stereotype.

Offline ismiseanseo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,

As I stated I am interested in tracing the children of Nicholas and Mary Dooley.

Regards

Hi Andy D.

I have some new information which may be of interest to you about the children of Nicholas Hopkins and Mary Dooley. I have tried to reach you privately via message. I would really appreciate your response.

Many thanks

Ismis

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 19 November 23 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I have just revisited this thread and am wondering if it is still "alive".

Everyone please respond and I will add some new "mysteries" about the name "Gough".

This is a bit jumbled but maybe we will be able to make some sense of it?

In St Fiaacs 1800 there is a baptism  of William Gough, the parents being Robert Hopkins and Jane alias Abbott. " This from the online transcription of the Register.  Although the child is listed as "William Gough" in that transcription, and the father is still listed as Robert Hopkins, the mother being Jane Gough (alias Abbott”).  This would suggest that the couple were not married, and that Jane had the maiden (or married) name of Abbott.   Perhaps William was a son of a previous marriage. of Jane or perhaps he was illegitimate

William  Hopkins was born at Raheengraney in Clonegal Parish to Robert and Jane Hopkins.  Raheengraney is next to Garryhasten.  Robert and Jane baptized 2 children while at Raheegraney and then appear to have moved to Clonegal, where they baptized 2 more children.

I have lost my notes, but I "believe" Jane might have been a Gough.

Offline ismiseanseo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 19 November 23 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Still "live" 😊