Author Topic: kyles-coyles donegal -kilsyth-fife  (Read 10745 times)

Offline SS1857

• RootsChat Extra
  • https://www.sherryancestry.com
    • View Profile
Re: kyles-coyles donegal -kilsyth-fife
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 November 15 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for trying Joe - they did tell me in Ireland that I'm lucky to have got as far back as I have so maybe I'll just have to leave it there. I imagine all their children would have settled in Scotland but I just wondered if Bridget Shiels had siblings who stayed in Ireland.

Hi Brenda

My mums family were from Kilsyth and my dad was from the neighbouring village Croy. I have never heard of the surname kyle in kilsyth but know  Coyle families both in Kilsyth and croy. If you go to scotlands people there are Coyle families in cencus for 1871 onwards. There were infact 2 Coyle families that i dont think were related. Both Coyle families had members that moved to Croy. My brothers best friend was a James Coyle .

Marguerite

Hello Marguerite
My  grandfather had a brother called James, born in Kilsyth in 1870, but I imagine that's  going too far back. I don't know how many of the family settled in the Kilsyth area - I know some settled in the area of High Spen/Durham which was where my grandmother was born & where my grandfather met her.

Your brother's friend might have been a descendent but I don't have any details of how the family spread out. I know there are a few Coyles on the War Memorial in Kilsyth but can't seem to tie them in to my family tree.

I'll keep looking in the hope that some more information appears.

Thanks very much to you both for your help.
Brenda

Hello,

I am related to the Coyles of Kilsyth, however I believe that there were two separate families.   My ancestors were Francis Kyle/Coyle ( 1834 - 1887 ) who was married to Sarah Starrs (1841 -1901 )

On the Burngreen War Memorial, William Coyle, ( 1883 - 1915 ) and Francis Coyle (1889 -1917) are from this Coyle clan.

There was talk in the family that the original name was Kyle, but a distant relative informed me that it was originally Coyle.

Sherry, Coyle, Mallin, Leonard/Lennard, Drummond, Scott, McFadyen, McSherry, Montague, O'Donnell, Haggerty, Sharp, Starrs

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 November 15 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I would say there were three Coyle families in Kilsyth.All of them had relations that ended up in Croy..There was a fred Coyle that lived next to me .He had a son Francis.Then there were another two families .At the moment kilsyth cemetery is putting fences around unsafe gravestones.I noticed one was a James Coyle wife Mary Mckeown.There are people on the old Kilsyth photos Facebook who are looking for coyles from Kilsyth.One of them is on here to.Maybe they are related to your Coyles..
Have you researched your starrs family line.The Starrs family lived in Croy .Wull starrs was a great accordian player.
Marguerite.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 02 November 15 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peggysus,
     In Reply 12, you say William Kyle was born 1855 in Kilsyth. 1855 Certificates, the 1st year of official registration in Scotland, carry a lot of extra information that was discontinued by 1856. (Forms were taking too long to complete)
     An 1855 Birth Certificate should give, the date & place of William's birth, father's name & mother's maiden name. It should also give ages & birth places of both parents. The number of children the mother has given birth to, whether male/female & living/deceased. It should also say how long they have lived in Kilsyth, which might help pinpoint when they left Ireland. A gem of a find and well worth using a few credits on ScotlandsPeople to view.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline SS1857

• RootsChat Extra
  • https://www.sherryancestry.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 14 August 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
Im still at a brickwall with the Coyle/Kyle side of my ancestry.   3rd Great Grandparents James Kyle/Coyle & Mary McKearns/McEarns/McCairns.   

Mary's mother was Agnes Crosier/Cosier

Very frustrating!!
Sherry, Coyle, Mallin, Leonard/Lennard, Drummond, Scott, McFadyen, McSherry, Montague, O'Donnell, Haggerty, Sharp, Starrs