Author Topic: kyles-coyles donegal -kilsyth-fife  (Read 10726 times)

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: kyles-coyles donegal -kilsyth-fife
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 September 12 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hello -

I know that there is a Kyle family living in Tullyillion, Burtonport, but I wouldn't know anything about their history.

craggagh.

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 November 12 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, with so little information it is really difficult to trace a name in Donegal also as the birth is long before the beginning of civil registration of births(1865) only some church records exist mainly for the established church (Church of Ireland)
If you follow rathmore's link then you will see that there were quite a few Kyles living in the parish of Inver in the 19C.

I did a search of records for the whole of Donegal for the birth John Kyle 1815 +/- 5 years and found 1 record

John Kyle  baptised Inver CoI church in 1819, father William Kyle, mother Margery, without further evidence it would be taking a leap to suggest that this is your John but it may give you something to go on

Regards

Joe

Hello Joe
I'm just back from a visit to Donegal and we passed through Inver so I've decided this one is my ancestor  ??? :)

No I'm keeping an open mind, but how did you find this information? I can't seem to find it on the Donegal site and I'd like to look into it a little more closely - from the phone book there don't seem to be many Kyles in Donegal, particularly Catholic ones.  Do you know if he was baptised as a Catholic or a Protestant - presume he could have been born Protestant and changed religions if he wasn't at birth? There only seems to be one church there now which I think is Church of Ireland?

Loved Donegal - the people are charming, Donegal Town was great and we had a trip to Derry which was fascinating. Might well go back, particularly if I get some more concrete information.
Thanks for your help
Cordialement
Brenda

Warmly & Sincerely

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 November 12 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi the John I got the information on was COI (Church of ireland) Protestant, batised at the church in Inver, the birth record was taken from Donegal Ancestry site.

Glad you had a nice time in Donegal, Inver is a beautiful part of the world as I remember, lovely beach!

Regards
Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 November 12 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Joe
I'm wondering if I can call on your help again - can't seem to get to grips with the Donegal site although I managed to trace the other side of the family on FamilySearch back to 1560.
Have had another look through my documents and it appears that the John Kyle born circa 1815 was the son of John Kyle & Helen McIntyre (so possibly not the same one you found). He died in Kilsyth in 1878. However, he seems to have married Bridget Shiels in Ireland and had the following children in Donegal :
James Coyle born 1839
Hugh Coyle born 1841
Catherine Kyle also born 1841
the next one was William Kyle born in 1855 in Kilsyth so  they might have  lost children (probably during The Famine?) before leaving Ireland. After that there was a John and a Margaret. Their name on the 1861 census was spelt Coil. The differences in the spelling of the name are quite confusing - not sure if they were already called Coyle in Donegal or whether it's how they were registered on the Scottish census. I presume they went to Scotland from the port of Derry but I don't expect there would be any records between Ireland and Scotland as I only found out during my visit that the Irish often went to Scotland to do seasonal work.
If it's not asking too much, can you see if you can find something on them?
Or perhaps I should put this on the Look Up section?
Only got a quick look at Inver from the coach ..... maybe next time I'll be able to investigate more - I'd love to go back.
Thanks for your help & bon dimanche
Brenda

Warmly & Sincerely

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 November 12 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brenda

My mums family were from Kilsyth and my dad was from the neighbouring village Croy. I have never heard of the surname kyle in kilsyth but know  Coyle families both in Kilsyth and croy. If you go to scotlands people there are Coyle families in cencus for 1871 onwards. There were infact 2 Coyle families that i dont think were related. Both Coyle families had members that moved to Croy. My brothers best friend was a James Coyle .

Marguerite

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 November 12 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brenda,

Sorry I can't help you any further with the birth records for John Kyle and Bridget Shiels, there are no records for offspring of  the names given or similar on the Donegal Ancestry site from that time period, the records may not exist or have not been transcribed

Joe 
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 November 12 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for trying Joe - they did tell me in Ireland that I'm lucky to have got as far back as I have so maybe I'll just have to leave it there. I imagine all their children would have settled in Scotland but I just wondered if Bridget Shiels had siblings who stayed in Ireland.

Hi Brenda

My mums family were from Kilsyth and my dad was from the neighbouring village Croy. I have never heard of the surname kyle in kilsyth but know  Coyle families both in Kilsyth and croy. If you go to scotlands people there are Coyle families in cencus for 1871 onwards. There were infact 2 Coyle families that i dont think were related. Both Coyle families had members that moved to Croy. My brothers best friend was a James Coyle .

Marguerite

Hello Marguerite
My  grandfather had a brother called James, born in Kilsyth in 1870, but I imagine that's  going too far back. I don't know how many of the family settled in the Kilsyth area - I know some settled in the area of High Spen/Durham which was where my grandmother was born & where my grandfather met her.

Your brother's friend might have been a descendent but I don't have any details of how the family spread out. I know there are a few Coyles on the War Memorial in Kilsyth but can't seem to tie them in to my family tree.

I'll keep looking in the hope that some more information appears.

Thanks very much to you both for your help.
Brenda
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 November 12 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brenda

If you private mail me with some of your coyle names i might be able to help you .Did your grandfathers brother James Coyle stay on in Kilsyth .

Marguerite.

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hello - this is my grandfather, born in Kilsyth - is it possible to tell his WWI regiment from what he's wearing ?
Thanks
Warmly & Sincerely