Author Topic: assumed arms  (Read 18150 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: assumed arms
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 13:01 BST (UK) »
 ;D  Dugless!

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 13:10 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that the Royal College of Arms created the arms for the Middleton family. As the family had no heraldic history, they were constructed from scratch using elements from the family names etc.  However they could only be used by Kate and Pippa as they were specifically designed for an unmarried (using a ribbon as a crest) woman (being vaguely lozenge shaped).

Thus for Kate they became inapplicable once she was married.

Actually I'm not sure Pippa can take her sister's coat of arms - I think unmarried daughters can bear their father's arms with a bow but Kate's arms are probably exclusive to her  :-\

I’ve delved into this a bit more and the coat of arms isn’t exactly Kate Middleton’s but the Middleton family’s, so of course Pippa can bear them.

That will teach me to write off quickly when I’m at work and trying to be discreet on the net ….. ;)

It’s a bit confusing though when they keep saying they talk about Kate’s coat of arms …..

Warmly & Sincerely

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
;D  Dugless!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Douglas

non no the Duglesses have had a tartan for agens .....  ;D
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 13:24 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that the Royal College of Arms created the arms for the Middleton family. As the family had no heraldic history, they were constructed from scratch using elements from the family names etc.  However they could only be used by Kate and Pippa as they were specifically designed for an unmarried (using a ribbon as a crest) woman (being vaguely lozenge shaped).

Thus for Kate they became inapplicable once she was married.

Actually I'm not sure Pippa can take her sister's coat of arms - I think unmarried daughters can bear their father's arms with a bow but Kate's arms are probably exclusive to her  :-\

I’ve delved into this a bit more and the coat of arms isn’t exactly Kate Middleton’s but the Middleton family’s, so of course Pippa can bear them.

That will teach me to write off quickly when I’m at work and trying to be discreet on the net ….. ;)

It’s a bit confusing though when they keep saying they talk about Kate’s coat of arms …..

It might be just me, but unless there is some history behind the arms, I really don't see the point of inventing one. I haven't seen it, but that Middleton one with bows sounds pretty 'tacky'.  :P Just my opinion.  ;)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 13:34 BST (UK) »
The bow is by no means tacky, it is the standard "crest" for an unmarried woman.  To be pedantic, it isn't actually a crest but a replacement for the helm (helmet) but I can't remember the precise term.  Where it occurs in an inherited coat of arms there may sometimes be a crest on top of the bow.

What is intreguing about the Middleton grant is that it seems only Kate and Pippa were entitled to use the coat of arms. 

However it should be noted that royal coats of arms have traditionally broken heraldic rules that apply to their subjects. 
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 13:37 BST (UK) »

I'm not sure who would actually tell you that you have no right to bear arms.

I thought that Scottish Law still makes it illegal to use arms, where no right exists?
The rights are granted by the Herald in Scotland - Lord Lyon?

The law in England & Wales is less stringent!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 13:50 BST (UK) »

I'm not sure who would actually tell you that you have no right to bear arms.

I thought that Scottish Law still makes it illegal to use arms, where no right exists?
The rights are granted by the Herald in Scotland - Lord Lyon?

The law in England & Wales is less stringent!

Even under English Law you have to be careful about using an existing coat of arms to which you are not entitled, although there is no evidence of anyone, except those with a commercial interest, having taken action in recent years.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 14:30 BST (UK) »
I always fancied a coat of arms for the car door but the thought of The Lord Lion coming down my street in a tabard, and kicking the door in, has sent me homeward tae think again.
Ah well!

Skoosh.