Author Topic: Thomas Bradley marriage look-up  (Read 4826 times)

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Bradley marriage look-up
« on: Sunday 09 September 12 21:34 BST (UK) »
I'm still searching for answers on the Bradleys!!!
There is a marriage on the GRO of Thomas Bradley and Elizabeth Burrell registered in Bingham in the Dec quarter of 1852.
I would be grateful for any other information on this marriage from a parish register.

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bradley marriage look-up
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 September 12 22:44 BST (UK) »
Unless there are any local transcriptions - to lookup a marriage in the parish records you have to supply details of which church it took place in

Here are all the areas covered by the Bingham registration district

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/bingham.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 September 12 05:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric,

From the GRO index - Marriages Dec qtr. 1852
BRADLEY, Thomas, Bingham, 7b/635
BURRILL, Elizabeth, Bingham, 7b/635

Unfortunately, they married in a register office (or perhaps a nonconformist church), so it is impossible to check in the parish register. We know this because the Bingham registration district marriages in December quarter 1852 range from pages 603-635(*). Marriages are arranged in the GRO indexes alphabetically by parish and church name (e.g. for Bingham district, Aslockton comes first, then Barkestone, etc.). After the Church of England marriage pages come the nonconformists and register office marriages. Since Thomas and Elizabeth appear on page 635 (the last page), they were almost certainly married in a register office. Unfortunately this means that the only way you can get the information is by purchase of the certificate.

(*) for page mappings see http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/district-page-map.pl?file=Bingham.csv

Regards,
Alexander

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 September 12 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Carole and Alexander
Thanks for the replies.
 I should have said that the marriage was probably in  Colston Bassett or Easdt Bridgeford, but it looks as though that wouldn't have helped.

The information on the GRO numbering system explains why the GRO numbers I find often didn't seem to have a "time sequence"

Looks like I shall have to spend some more money!!!!!!!!!

Eric

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 September 12 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric,

I found a notice of their marriage in a newspaper, showing they married 6 Oct 1852.

Lincolnshire Chronicle (22 Oct 1852)
"At Bingham, on the 6th inst., Mr. Thomas Bradley, of East Bridgeford, to Miss Eliz. Burnell, of Colston Bassett."

Since it just says "at Bingham", I think that it is highly likely they married in Bingham Register Office.

Cheers,
Alexander

Offline Kenman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 22:57 BST (UK) »
Has anyone obtained the marriage certificate, and been able to establish the details of the marriage in this thread between Thomas BRADLEY and Elizabeth BURRILL in Q4/1852? It's doubly complicated because of the way the BURRELLs seemed to change their name to BRADLEY (and back again) for no particular reason that has so far been established, and I'd like to know if they fit into the BURRELL/BRADLEY family below.
I note that in the 1851 census (Pc-2139_Fo-347_Pg-9) and living on Chancery Row, Colston Bassett are Thomas (age 51) and his wife, Elizabeth (age 50) BRADLEY and their daughter, Harriott, age 14.  Harriott/Harriett married Thomas CHAPMAN at East Bridgford on 25 December 1860. They are my great-great grandparents.
The census entry immediately above this is Thomas (age 22) and his wife, Harriott (age 20) BRADLEY. Thomas's age would fit with him being the son of Thomas (age 51) and Elizabeth BRADLEY, and FreeBMD suggests that they are the Thomas BURRELL and Harriett STANLEY who married in Bingham RD in Q2/1850.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 June 15 09:52 BST (UK) »
Baptism Colston Bassett Source NFHS
8-6-1828 Thomas son of Thomas and Elizabeth BURRELL abode Colston father a labourer

11-8-1822 Mary Ann  ditto
20-12-1826 James Ditto
18-7-1830 Ann Ditto
8-7-1832 John ditto
Baptism Colston Bassett
27-3-1835 Elizabeth dau of Thomas & Elizabeth BRADLEY abode Colston Bassett father a labourer
28-8-1837 Harriott  ditto

Marriage C B
26-11-1821 Thomas Burrell and Elizabeth Gun.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Kenman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 June 15 11:42 BST (UK) »
I managed to piece together some facts regarding Thomas BURRELL/BRADLEY, born around 1800, from the various posts on Rootschat. I've not checked any of it yet with the original sources, but here goes:

Thomas Burrell was born about 1800, according to the 1851 and 1861 Censuses. A likely contender hasn’t been found yet.  He married Elizabeth Gunn (or Gun) in Colston Bassett NTT on 26 Nov 1821.
Thomas and Elizabeth (Gunn) had one daughter baptised Mary Ann Burrall (or possibly Burrill) on 11 Aug 1822 at Colston Bassett. She died on 12 Aug 1824 (Source: Family Search. Possibly this is the burial date, or she was buried on 13 Aug 1824).
Thomas’s wife, Elizabeth (Gunn) died In June 1823, and was buried 2 July 1823.
Thomas married again, to Elizabeth Whitaker on 27 April 1826 in Branston, Leicestershire. The parish register says that Thomas was a widower from the parish of Colston Bassett.  Banns at Branston by Belvoir 27-Apr 1826, have Thomas Burrell Colston Bassett NTT Wid., Elizabeth Whittaker OTP Spin.
Thomas and Elizabeth Burrell had four children baptised at Colston Bassett:
James Burrell. Baptised 20 Dec 1826 at Colston Bassett (Source: Family Search). Died in infancy. Buried at Colston Bassett 25 Dec 1826.
Thomas Burrell. Baptised 08 Jun 1828 at Colston Bassett (Source: Family Search).
Ann Burrell. Baptised 18 Jul 1830 at Colston Bassett (Source: Family Search).  Died in infancy. Buried 31 May 1831.
John Burrell. Baptised 08 Jul 1832 at Colston Bassett (Source: Family Search).  John Burrell & Harriett Cotteriell married on 05 Dec 1853 at Langar, St Andrew. They had 2 children baptised in Langar. On one of them the father's name is given as John Burrell and the other as John Bradley or Burrell.
Thomas and Elizabeth (Whitaker) then had two children baptised at Colston Bassett under the surname Bradley:
Elizabeth Bradley. Baptised 27 Mar 1835 at Colston Bassett (Source: Family Search)
Harriot Bradley. Baptised 28 Aug 1837 at Colston Bassett (Source: Family Search)
A further child, William Bradley, was born 1839 but his baptism is not recorded on Family Search, and hasn’t yet been found elsewhere. His mother registered the birth and gave her name as Elizabeth Burrell and the father as Thomas Burrell, but the censuses record him as Bradley.  A copy of William’s birth certificate shows his father‘s and mother’s names as Thomas Burrell and Elizabeth Burrell, maiden name Witacre (sic).
In the 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses, Thomas and the members of his family still living with him are recorded with the Bradley surname. 
The 1841 census records that Thomas Bradley was born in Nottinghamshire.
The 1851 census records that he was born in Scampton, Lincs. The 1851 census also gives Elizabeth’s birthplace as Broughton, probably Nether Broughton, Leicestershire, a bit nearer to Branston that Broughton Astley
The 1861 census records that he was born in Lincoln.
Elizabeth, Thomas’s wife, died in November 1853 and was buried on 6 Nov 1853 in Colston Bassett as Elizabeth Bradley, but her death certificate gives her name as Elizabeth Burrill.
Thomas BURRELL of Radcliffe on Trent was buried at Radcliffe-on-Trent on 17 Dec 1862 - (no age in index).  Radcliffe is close to Colston Bassett.  There does not appear to be a gravestone, but Thomas was an agricultural labourer so it is rather unlikely that he would have a gravestone.
Thomas used the Burrell surname for both of his marriages and for the baptisms of his first 5 children, born before 1837. Thereafter he used the name Bradley.  This could it have something to do with the introduction of compulsory registration of BMDs in 1837?  It may have something to do with illegitimacy but what is confusing is that not only did Thomas keep changing his surname, but several of his sons and even their sons carried on doing it.
The Scampton parish records have an entry which gave the name Burwell and with a note after it to say that it was pronounced Burrill.

That seems to clarify the life of Thomas BURRELL/BRADLEY, born around 1800, but I'm still trying to sort out the remaining details regarding the later lives of his children. There are too many Thomas's and Harriett's with BURRELL and BRADLEY surnames!

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 June 15 16:15 BST (UK) »
As you see I haven't given up on this family!!!!!!!!
I didn't buy the marriage cert. for the Bradley/Burrill marriage in 1852, but I see from my notes that the marriage was on 22 Oct 1852. In the 1861 census there is a family of Thomas Bradley and Elizabeth living in East Bridgeford. Thomas is 50 and his wife Elizabeth is only 26. It says Elizabeth was born in Colston Bassett. This I think is the couple.

I am sure she was the Elizabeth Burrell, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth and born in 1835 in Colston Bassett.
Interestingly!!!!!! this Elizabeth was the last of the children of Thomas and Elizabeth to have been baptised with the Burrell name!!!!!!! Thereafter the children were baptised as Bradley!!!!!!

Eric