Author Topic: KENNY family: Fermanagh to Gatineau, Quebec, Canada in1830.  (Read 41454 times)

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KENNY family: Fermanagh to Gatineau, Quebec, Canada in1830.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 21:41 BST (UK) »
thanks don i did hear that some catholics coverted so they could get jobs with english land owners .i all ways thought they came over because of the famine.this branch i would love to get further because its my name ive done a lot more on my mams side because of parish records the reason i think my kennys were catholics is because my dad was a catholic,.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline donkenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Garvary:
This is wonderful stuff! I think probably that you have found my Fermanagh Kenny’s.
Two of Ralph Kenny’s son’s were named Thomas and George W. and a daughter was named Letitia. This was the second of three Letitia’s, the third being my Aunt Lettie.
The Letty that you found is buried in Sombra County, in S-W Ontario. We have been going on the belief that she was born in 1818, not 1817. (This will be something to re-check closely, but one year does not mean that it is a different person, of course.)
I am working with Bill Kenny, Prestwick, Scotland, as we are DNA cousins, and feel that there is a good chance that he is closely connected here as well.
We will be organizing, planning our next moves, and getting back to you sometime soon.
With great appreciation, I thank you.
Don.

Offline donkenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 April 10 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Garvary:

There are two “Tattinbarr” place names. The first is where you originally had it placed, in the area in which we are most interested, being east of Maguiresbridge and just north of Knocks. The second one is a little south of Rosslea, near the border, as you pointed out.

I came across a record (using Google chrome) for:

Thomas Kenny, born Aughavin, Fermanagh. He served in the Royal Artillery, and was discharged at age 36. His military record covers the period 1796 to 1814, a period of 18 years. I assume he joined at age 18, which would make his birth year 1778, and one year older than Alice.

I could not find “Aughavin” at first try, but will give it another go. There was no other information on line, but I feel this is certainly another line of inquiry worth pursuing.

Thanks again,

Don.

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 April 10 04:18 BST (UK) »
Could it possibly be AUGHRIN as no Aughavin comes up in a search!.

AUGHRIN is on thw Sligo road and located about 1.5km from the Fermanagh/Leitrim border.

The 2003/4 Infodisk shows no Kenny at Aughrin.

Mike.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline Garvary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 April 10 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Donles, this is probably a mispelling of Aghavea which would cover the Maguiresbridge to Lisnaskea area. I don't know of any Kenny's of this branch that were on the Sligo Road side of Enniskillen at that time.

Offline Garvary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 April 10 11:10 BST (UK) »
My own interest in the Kenny name in Fermanagh is to discover its origins. It is a Gaelic name in general but has had several branches or septs that had their name anglicised to 'Kenny'. It is a name in Galway, Donegal, Clare and in Down. The Fermanagh clan are difficult to work out. There is no obvious root of the family in Fermanagh (I think). My suggestions on their origins are:
1. The are an native Fermanagh family but were so small and insignificant they were not recorded. (see Livingston's History of Fermanagh). The ancient bardic Breslin family history does mention Kenny's as relations.
2. They are a part of the Fermanagh 'McCanny' or 'Canny' family. They are native to Fermanagh. It was common for names to change spelling slightly or drop 'Mc' or 'O' of necessary. If there was a change of religion from Catholic to Protestant this also might happen.
3. Since they are near the border with Monaghan they may be 'McKenna' or 'Kenna' stock. The name McKenna in Irish is MacCionaoith. Kenny in Irish is O'Cionaoith. Some Kenny surnames have differing Irish roots.
4. They may be a family that came from Donegal which have Kenny as a native family name. This may be supported in that these Kenny's worked for the landed English family and landowners the Brooke's. This family owned estates in Donegal and Fermanagh and it would not be uncommon for landowners to offer work and tenancy  in their other estates. The Brooke's owned land in North Donegal were many Kenny's came from.
5. They may have completely different origin such as in Kenna, Kenney, Kinney etc. I don't think the name in this case has an English origin as with some of the Galway Kenny's.
That's my thoughts anyway. No proof I'm afraid, just conjecture having done some study.

Offline Garvary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 April 10 11:22 BST (UK) »
Methodism in the 19th Century was probably better represented in Fermanagh than in other Northern or Ulster counties. This was because the Church of Ireland (Anglican) was stronger here than in other northern counties were Presbyterianism had a strong representation among Protestants. John Wesley was an Anglican priest and found greater favour for his teaching with people who were Anglican to begin with. He visted Fermanagh several times in the 18th century (but not always well received). Methodism almost became the the 'evangelical' wing of Anglicanism until its break from that church. Many Fermanagh Protestants who were pious were attracted to its small group meetings, its prayer and its fervour. Obviously some Kenny folk were religious and pious people who left the Church of Ireland in favour of this church. In Fermanagh today Methodistm Free Methodism and Independant Methodism are still well represented.

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 April 10 12:52 BST (UK) »
hi garvary this is a intresting post on the kenny name.
thanks neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline donkenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 April 10 18:57 BST (UK) »
Saddles:
Thank you for the “Aughrim” suggestion. There is also an “Aghalun” place name on route A4 about 3km NE of Maguiresbridge. And of course, Garvary’s suggestion of “Aghavea” fits our pattern very well.
I’m linguistically challenged when it comes to Irish names, so I’m particularly pleased to have all this help. Some of my McDiarmid ancestors spoke Gaelic as their first language, but this talent did not follow down to me. Here in Eastern Ontario, our last first language Gaelic speakers died off about 20 years ago.
Don.