Author Topic: Frederick SALMON & Martha SELWOOD Completed  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Frederick SALMON & Martha SELWOOD Completed
« on: Tuesday 11 September 12 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have just found on FindMyPast a marriage in St Laurence, Market Place, Reading of a  Frederick Salmon, a blacksmith, and Martha Selwood,  in 1844. Both of full age.
Frederick's father was Thomas, a shoemaker and Martha's father was Alexander, an aglab. Now, the only Alexander that I know of in that area in that time frame with a daughter Martha was my 3rd great grandfather in Englefield and  then Bradfield.

I cannot find anything forward for Frederick Salmon and Martha on the censuses for an age or  birthplace verification. The only possible clue I have is from the BBI which has a Martha Salmon of Thames Street buried in Reading in 1862 age 44. This is a bit old for my Martha Selwood who was bap in 1813 Englefield.
However, it might well be her as ages are often distorted at death and burial and over time. 

In 1841 there is a Martha Selwood age 20, a laundress in the Royal Berks Hospital  born Berkshire, but that is not of much help. The 1861 shows a Martha Salmon age 40 married (no husband present) with a 15yr old daughter who matches the address of the Martha in the burial. No sign of any of them in 1851 or a birth reg for Louisa.

Can anyone find my Frederick and Martha Salmon, please, or give me some advice as to where to look next if they cannot be found on the census. Until I am more sure this is the right person, I am loath to speculate on buying the Reading RD 1844 unnamed female birth cert in the hope that it is Louisa, and that her father is Frederick Salmon and mother is Martha nee Selwood.

Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Online HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick SALMON & Martha SELWOOD
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicwinann,

Found them using the BFHS 1851 census CD:

Listed as SAMMOND - shows Martha as born Englefield and Frederick as Fred.

verified they are on FindMyPast 1851 census as well.

Regards

Harry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicwinann,

This may be a long shot but, the IGI has this marriage which may be the parents of Frederick;

26-12-1807 Thomas Salmon to Elizabeth Houlton Wokingham.
Batch No. M01860-1
source film number:   88477, 88478

Also on the IGI there is Elizabeth Selwood bapt. 19-3-1809 Englefierld d/o  Alexander & Elizabeth.  Presumably you already have this baptism.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 11:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you both,
I thought that I had used all the name and spelling possibilities but I did not think of Sammond.  Now found them on the Berks fhs and it looks as if I was on the right track with my Martha burial.  I will do a bit more scavenging around to see where Fred was in 1861 and hopefully by then, he will know where he was born.  The children give me something else to go on as well.

Yes, I did have the Elizabeth Selwood baptism, Alan. I think I have them all of Alexander and Elizabeth.  It is the marriages that seem to be difficult.
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;