Author Topic: Ellen Bohan/Bohen/Bowen  (Read 4748 times)

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen Bohan/Bohen/Bowen
« on: Thursday 13 September 12 03:20 BST (UK) »
Im looking for information on my fathers ancestor Ellen Bowen who was born about 1825 in Kilkenny to parents John and Mary Bohan..as you can see there are variations on the spelling of the surname ..I think that this occurrred because Ellen was illiterate and various officials ,perhaps not understanding her Irish accent,just wrote what they thought she said.
She married in N.S.W Australia,in 1843, to John Jackson,a recently freed transported convict and they moved to Qld,I don't know if Ellen was a convict too or whether she came to Australia with her family...Ellen died in 1881 in Queensland Australia....any information on her Irish family would be very appreciated
Kasden
N.S.W
Australia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Bohan/Bohen/Bowen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 12 12:23 BST (UK) »
You usually require a more detailed location to start a search, such as the name of the town or parish your Bowen/Bohan family lived, particularly when early records like this are involved.

Do you have Mary's maiden name on any documents relating to Ellen - e.g. marriage or death cert ?

see :  Introduction to Irish Records
         My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Slightly later than your Bowen/Bohan family (c1850), there are a number of households with this surname and it's variations listed on Griffith's valuation that could be related.

see : Griffiths valuation (AskAboutIreland)

Note: Co. Tipperary is listed as several sections - North Riding, South Riding and a section for Tipperary town.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane...unfortunately I have no further information on Mary Bohan/Bowen (her maiden name ect) other that what I have provided,..and even that was difficult to access because of the various spellings of the surname over the years.
I will check out the sites you mention though in the hope that something else may come to light.
Cheers
Kasden

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 September 12 20:42 BST (UK) »
just realized I mentioned Tipperary when you asked about Kilkenny - no idea why I thought Tipperary was involved.

The links still apply - e.g. here are the Griffith's listing for Co. Kilkenny - just two as Bowen - Kilkenny  and none as Bohen or Bohan, but maybe they had died out in Co. Kilkenny or emigrated by then.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline PaulJqckson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Ellen died in Rockhampton QLD, I have her death certificate and marriage certificate. Her father John was a stonemason. Her youngest son was my great grandfather.

Paul Jackson

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul
I would love to have photocopies of the certificates if you feel comfortable in doing so, I have been documenting the family tree for quite some time now and have gathered quite a history on the Jackson side even though I am not 'blood-related' to them myself.
I think that you and I must be  step çousins of a sort ...my father (step father actually but raised by him since I was a toddler) was Reg Jackson, son of John and Ellen Jackson nee Black and I am guessing that you're the son of one of his brothers. I think that my sister might actually be your God mother?
Would you like to swap and share other family history?
Cheers
Karen

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Paul
After checking out my family history program I see that George and Ellen Jackson nee Bowen's youngest son (as far as I know anyway) was George Jackson jnr born 8th May 1865, the 1oth of 11 children but I may not have his complete tree......anyway, if this man is your great grandfather then you are not the same cousin Paul that I was referring to...however the Jackson's were a prolific lot and I am sure that there is more than one Paul Jackson on the tree  :)
The Paul that I thought you may have been has parents Clem and Inez....if this is not you then you're still a kind of step cousin ,but one more distantly removed  :)
Karen

Offline PaulJqckson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 January 16 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,

I'm in Brisbane - you can find me by googling Paul Jackson financial adviser at avery gibson.

Happy to send scans of death & marriage certificates.

George McKenzie Jackson (born 1865 on the banks of the McKenzie river near Rockhampton) was Ellen's 2nd youngest child and moved west from Rockhampton to Clermont and married Sarah Catherine Doonan daughter of a policeman called Philip Doonan. George was 20 and Sarah was 15 and pregnant. Both their first two daughters died as infants, probably influenza or measles...

They moved further west to Winton where he was a Rabbit fence Inspector based at Wirribi Gate just outside Winton. My grandfather Duncan Wilford Jackson was also 2nd youngest born in 1900 at Winton. George died on 1906 (aged 41) of heart valve disease and placed the family in serious trouble. The oldest kids worked, but my grandfather ended up in Neerkol orphanage. I remember my great uncle Martin Cornelius (AKA Paddy) Jackson who died in Blackall around 1987. Sarah later moved to Hughenden where she died at age 45 of uterine cancer. Pretty sad story. I grew up in Blackall a few hours this side of Winton and went to school and Uni in Brisbane.

Regards

Paul

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 January 16 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul
all of the information you have provided is very interesting....your great grandfather George had a brother John and it is from this man that my stepfather (although I can only ever think of him as my dad) descended. John Jackson had ,among many children, a son named after himself (i.e John George Jackson) and it was this son, John George ,that was my dad's father.
John George married twice...he had 4 children with his 1st wife, and after her death he married again and had a further 9 children with his second wife Ellen Black....my dad was at the younger end of this second family. His mother ,Ellen Jackson nee Black, also died at a young age and the 3 youngest of her children, my dad included were then raised by her spinster sister, Olive Black...lots off sad stories attached to these years too.
Dad died several years ago and I never met any of his Qld family..he was born and raised in Mackay...but I heard many tales of the redoubtable Aunt Olive who, it seems , was something of a dragon and much respected (I would say feared !) by the Jackson siblings.....do you know any of this branch of the family?
Karen
P.S Will try to locate your work email.