Author Topic: Building a new database website.  (Read 4522 times)

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Building a new database website.
« on: Thursday 13 September 12 05:55 BST (UK) »
Hello

As I recently found myself looking for a new employer and not wanting 'get stale' I decided
to teach myself PHP. (This is not a sob story!)

I have made some progress and so I have embarked on a rather ambitious project concerning UK
birth certificates.

Basically what I have done is created a database containing the details from all the birth certificates that I have ordered. I have also front-ended the database with a search screen that will allow you to search on surname and first names of the child(ren), registration county, district, year, quarter etc.

Prehaps the main difference from FreeBMD and FindMyPast is that it also has a way of searching on mother's maiden name.

The details that are listed include all the details from the GRO index plus the details from the birth certificate itself.

No actual birth certificate images are displayed, just the details from them.

I would really like to grow it from the small number that it contains now, to a larger database but that would heavily rely upon people contributing to the database....which hopefully some will.

I basically got fed up with not knowing the mainden name of the mother on pre-1912 births.

The website is totally free to use and can be found at

http://www.abbydalesystems.com/Ancestry/BCHome.php

This is still a work in progress and suggestions and contributions would be gratefully received. I am in the process of revamping a couple of the reports you can produce and will update the website when these are done. I am also searching the internet for more birth certificates to input.

Best regards
Kevin

Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries