Author Topic: Woodbine history  (Read 4708 times)

Offline yvan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woodbine history
« on: Saturday 15 September 12 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am from France and doing genealogy researches for my own.
Traditionally, my family keep in mind they came from Ireland (probably Kilkenny) to France in the 15 or 16th century (I found ancestors in France in 1595 but not earlier).

They were named Woodbine but I found no records in census.

I saw a Woodbine avenue but could not find any information about the reason why.
Is there anybody having some or able to give me some clues ?

thanks a lot

Yvan

Offline yvan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Woodbine history
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 12 20:18 BST (UK) »
Nobody has some information?
I spent many jours on the Internet and did not find anything but may be is there here some people from Kilkenny knowing a few ?
It would be really helpful for me as I am stopped in my researches.

Yvan

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 September 12 20:43 BST (UK) »
Are you sure about the spelling of the family name?  I did a quick search on the Ancestors part of the Irish Times website (link below).  It says no Woodbine households in 19th century Ireland.

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/

I also did a quick search on rootsireland.ie , the website of the Irish Family History Foundation.  It returned zero records for the surname Woodbine.

Sorry I haven't better news for you. 
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline yvan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 12 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Thank you for your answer.
Yes, I am nearly sure of that spelling. I found a few Woodbine in 19th century around Dublin but not in the Kilkenny area. But i found a Woodbine avenue in Kilkenny (near the castle center) and hope there is a local reason for that.

I also found some information on Woodbine saying they came from scotland and settled in Ireland (http://surnames.meaning-of-names.com/genealogy/woodbine/ ).

About my ancestors, they surely came to France in 15th century (last found in France is now from 1560....) so Iwon't be able to find a lot on them.
But if they were enough illustrious may be I may have some chance...
That is the reason I look for information about that Woodbine avenue, its reason and some clues to pursue my researches.

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 September 12 10:52 BST (UK) »
I think that basing your search on places with Woodbine in their name may not be very fruitful. There are a lot of placenames in Ireland with Woodbine in them.  You can search for them on the following link

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer

I believe a lot of those placenames are fairly recent and probably refer to the plant (also known as honeysuckle).  If you search on the link you can click on the 25" map (late 19th century) and the 6" map (mid-19th century I think) to see if the name goes back that far.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline yvan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 September 12 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Dermo !

Unfortunately I did not find other way ti continue my research as no archivs in Ireland seem easily available regarding 15th-17th centuries.

It is really disappointing to be locked that way as I really wanted to find a proof of our Irish ascendancy.
So I believe I will be stopped in France just before if I do not find any solution.

thanks a lot anyway for your help !!

and if any has some clues or ideas, please email me at *

Yvan

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to protect against spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 September 12 13:35 BST (UK) »
There are Woodbine births in Ireland on www.familysearch.org from the 1800s which would reflect availability of records rather than implying they did not exist before that date.

Note the name was also spelt with a y

There are a few other variations Woodborn, Woodburn, etc. some of which are still around

Woodbine in Ireland is another name for the plant honeysuckle
Many place names would relate to the plant
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline yvan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 September 12 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,
thanks myluck.
Yes and I also found some ones in 1700+ here:

Woodbine baptisms, marriages & burials (IrishGenealogy)

I did not know Woodburn or Woodborn were variants, thinking they were different names only.

about the avenue in Kilkenny, I was confirmed by the town it is only due to wildlife. So I have to find some other clues...
I don't know if it will be possible for 15th century.

Moderator Note - Link Shrunk

Offline yvan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 September 12 08:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link moderator !
 ;D

for those interested by the Irish / English settlements in Anjou, I found some interesting names in french archives (available on the web):
Butler O'Madden, O'Connor, Island, James, Ham, Illand, Alland, Blind, Armstrong, Harry, Hartmann, Horny, Davy, Blackstoch, Jarry, Killer, Killial, Helfisher

these are only those I found by chance and having not been much transformed by french pronunciation (remember that they usually wrote the names as they heard them...like mine Woobdine -> Houdebine)

If someone is interested, contact me to have some archives web links.

Regards,

Yvan H.