Author Topic: Woodbine history  (Read 4704 times)

Offline Woody01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Woodbine history
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am from a Woodbine family.  My sister has spoken to my uncle 'Derek G Woodbine' and he seems to think we are from French descendants.  My grandfather Alfred Woodbine was from Sheffield UK and my father (his son) 'Norman Alfred Woodbine' lived in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire UK.  Is this of any help?  Look on http://home.ancestry.co.uk/ under Woodbine.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
Welcome Woody01

Just to mention that yvan who started this topic has not been online since 2012 but will get a notification that you posted

Your link will also help others looking at the name Woodbine
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline yvan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hello !
Yes I don't come here as I have many other researchs to do here in France.
About the french family part I found 2 main branches: one in Anjou (seems to be the oldest in France and another one in Beauce (region south of Paris).
For the 1st one, I found some people as far as second mid of XVI century and for the second to the beginning of XVII century if I remember well.
About the Irish/scotish/English connection I had no way to find anything written as no docs exists before this time for "common" people. But I am still nearly sure a settlement in Anjou.

About your ancestry Alfred, if you can have more information, I can help you for your french researches as I have begun to make a "complete" tree of all french part (trying to assembly them in a single complete one as possible).

Sincerly yours

yvan Houdebine

Offline Woody01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Yvan,

Take a look at this site and see if you can trace anything back to the France Woodbines?

George Woodbine: http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/17329417/person/28459048667/story
George Woodbine was born about 1723, in Crownthorpe, Norfolk. He married Elizabeth Banyard on October 30, 1754. They had four children in 16 years.

Robert Woodbine:  http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/17329417/person/28459045877/story
When Robert Woodbine was born in 1787 in Wicklewood, Norfolk, his father, Charles, was 36 and his mother, Mary, was 27. He married Eleanor Turrell on January 25, 1808, in Wicklewood, Norfolk. They had six children in 22 years. He died on October 20, 1866, having lived a long life of 79 years.

Alfred Woodbine: http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/17329417/person/1500679114/story
When Alfred Woodbine was born on October 15, 1869, in Doddington, Cambridgeshire, his father, James, was 45 and his mother, Emma, was 31. He married Mary Elizabeth Harrison in October 1897 in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire. They had five children in 10 years. He had four brothers and seven sisters.

If you're not a member you should get a free trial.

My uncle said the Woodbines had a different name in France and paid for the name Woodbine before moving to the UK, but I don't know what that name would have been or where in France?

I hope this helps and look forward to hearing from you.
Best,
Jannette

Offline yvan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Janette,

About Woodbine in France, you won't find any with this spelling and it is necessary to give more explanations.
My grand mother always told us we came from Ireland in mid XVII c. and our original name was Woodbine ( now Houdebine).
A priest in Anjou of the same name (not the same branch) did some researches and thought the same.
Finally I met another Houdebine doing some genealogy researches (also from another branch of the name) who told me ... the same story !
This is why I tried to find as possible a link between the two countries, thinking settlement in France was findable for this period.
This sounded well as distinct people were telling the same and that the name variation could be easily explained.
Names were written before XIX c. as they were pronunced.
So Woodbine in french would be heard as Hoodbine (there is niearly no name using W in old french except when coming from northern countries (Belgium, Netherland, Germany ...)
So Woodbine / Hoodbine was (probably) writting as pronunced... in french as Houdbine, Hudbine, Houdebine, Oudbine as so on.

What I found is a little bit different:
- Settlement is older than told as I found people in 1560 indicating it may be existing since 100y war (or earlier ???)
- a main settlement in Northern Anjou where many english settlements are know during/after the 100y war
- in the same area/same period I found many english/irish names also existing
- 2 branches of the name in France as i told you including one smaller and later: the second is about 50-100 years later and seem to follow the british conquest in south of Paris (from Tours to Montargis) (supposed to be in relation biut no proof)

At that time, I found NO other branch not in relation with these two, even when they moved in Indochina, Algeria ...

About your ancestors, if you have at least the name of the parent borned in France and a period, I may be able to give you some data and/or some links for your own reseaches.

If you need more information you may write me at yhoudebine at gmail dot com

yvan