Author Topic: Broomfield Family in Lauder, Greenlaw area  (Read 7593 times)

Offline MLBroomfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Broomfield Family in Lauder, Greenlaw area
« on: Sunday 16 September 12 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, Mona here from Kansas. I recently traveled to Lauder, Scotland to research my family tree. I would love any information on the Broomfield family. They were factors of Thirlestane Castle for over 60 years. Also, how does Broomfields in Greenlaw connect to Lauder. I would like to say thank you in advance.

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Broomfield Family in Lauder, Greenlaw area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Mona

While looking through the Lauder entries in Rutherfurd's Southern Counties Register (an 1866 Directory) yesterday for another Rootschatter, I couldn't help noticing the name of your ancestor Thomas BROOMFIELD, who was a very busy man!

In the list of residents he is named as a solicitor, with another mention in the Courts section that summonses are issued in his office. In the Public Offices section, he is named as the Burgh Voters' Assessor, the Heritors' Clerk, the Income Tax Assessor for the Western District of Berwickshire, the Justice of the Peace Clerk, the Lands Valuation Assessor for the Burgh of Lauder and the Western District of Berwickshire, the Inspector of the Poor for the Burgh and Parish and Collector of the Poor Rates, the Procurator Fiscal for the Burgh and the Collector and Sub-Distributor of Stamps and Taxes. He is also the Secretary and Treasurer of Lauderdale Agricultural Society, Secretary and Treasurer for the Gas Company, Secretary and Treasurer for the Water Company, Treasurer of the Curling Club,Secretary and Treasurer of the Berwickshire Rifle Volunteers, Agent for the City of Glasgow Bank, Agent for Scottish Provincial Insurance and Hon. Secretary of the Royal Association for the Promotion of Fine Arts. Phew!
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline MLBroomfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 14:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you that great information. I know that his stone in the Lauder church yard also states "writer". His son Thomas is the one who came to America as he did not want to go into the "family business". What great information to add to the story as these little bits of info start to unfold!

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just in case of confusion, 'writer' in Scottish terms doesn't mean an author. It's short for 'Writer to the Signet' (often abbreviated WS), and basically means the same as 'solicitor'.

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram

Offline MLBroomfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information. I had no idea so that also changes my views on a few things.
Sincerely, Mona

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just found several references to your BROOMFIELDs in a book 'Lauder and Lauderdale' by A. Thomson (1902). Thomas is mentioned (with a photograph), as is his son George L Broomfield, Thomas' father David Broomfield and also a William Broomfield.

Do you have these references? (Just asking, before I do a lot of needless typing!)

Regards,
Lesley
Webster- Northowram

Offline MLBroomfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 22:17 BST (UK) »
Lesley,
             I do own the book. I was able to get ahold of it in Scotland several weeks ago. I must admit that I have not had the opportunity to read it yet. I know there are references in the book but I had no idea there are pictures. I can hardly wait to get home from work to look at them. Thank you so much for all the replies.
Sincerely, Mona

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 September 12 11:47 BST (UK) »
One more sighting of Thomas Broomfield: the centenary index of the journals of the Berwickshire Naturalists' Club notes Thomas' admission to the Club in 1869, and also that of his son G.L. Broomfield in 1889.

Regards,
Lesley
Webster- Northowram

Offline MLBroomfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 September 12 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Lesley, I will add this information to the story list I am building on each family member.
Kind regards, Mona