Author Topic: Broomfield Family in Lauder, Greenlaw area  (Read 7576 times)

Offline B ROOMFIELD

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Broomfield Family in Lauder, Greenlaw area
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 04:23 BST (UK) »
To Ms MLBroomfield

This must come as quite a surprise to you. I am Thomas George Broomfield and am 93 Years old and come down the direct line from Jame's sibling Thomas b.10-07-1720.  I have been "dabbling" with the family tree of the Broomfields' for many many years now.  To orient my position on the tree, David, factor of Thirlestane Castle is my 2nd great-grandfather. It was David who brought the Broomfield's' from Chirnside to Lauder, he was the eldest child of Thomas  Broomfield (1720) and Helen Robertson(1744-1820).  This Thomas was the 9th off-spring of James Broomfield (1695-1720) and Agnes White. He was the school teacher of Bedshiel school, Slap. Part of Greenlaw.
To follow on from this here are some odds and ends I gathered in odd places:
There was a farmer Thomas Broumfield, indellar of Greenlawdeine 1667.(now spelt Greenlawdean) He was Illegitimate but had been legitimised long before his death.  Robert Broomfield of Slap resident 1668, multure or mouter.
No doubt you have seen the Full Text of "An old Berwickshire Town: History of the  Town and Parish of Greenlaw".  Parish requests and Benefactors  para 127 This is all on the internet.  Also Have you seen "Notes By Mr Broomfield on Lauder-Lauder Castle.   Lauder,   Nov 1886"

I am now resident in New Zealand having emigrated in 1956

A bit of useless information.  The descendants of Thomas 1822 and (1)  Margaret Logan (2) Isabella Logan Mack, Through the Logans' of Restalrig could have a few genes from Fergus Lord of Galloway and further back- William the Conqueror.

Regards    Tom

Offline MLBroomfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 August 16 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Mr. Broomfield,
                                I am so excited to have received your email. I guess we are truly cousins as David Broomfield is my 3rd great-grandfather. It is such a pleasure to meet you. I am 58 and have lived in Kansas all my life. I have had the opportunity twice to travel to Lauder, Scotland and even found one relative still living there. I have been interested in the Broomfield family tree all my life and it was my one passion in life to travel to Scotland.
                                I knew several of the Broomfield's had immigrated to New Zealand and have made contact with one in the past. I will have to look back in my papers. I have found some pictures and trying to add to my tree in Ancestry.com. It is so easy to make one mistake in the tree and then come to a dead end or miss one brother or sister which could mean a hundred off-spring. It is so fascinating and I spend hours looking, reading and hunting for the next clue.
                                David Broomfield b 1780 is my 3 great-grandfather, then Thomas Broomfield b 1822 my 2 great and Thomas Logan Broomfield b 1861 my great-grandfather who is the one who immigrated to Kansas. His sister Susan Broomfield also moved to Kansas and married H.W. Chittenden. Thomas Logan Broomfield, my great-grandfather, did not want to go into the family business as a solicitor so he faked his drowning, changed his name to Thomas Moss and enlisted in the military where he fought in the Borr War in Africa. I have his military handbook in fact. He later immigrated arriving in Canada then traveled south to Kansas to farm.
                                I have read the :Notes by Mr. Broomfield on Lauder Castle". I received this from Lord Maitland who lives at the castle. I met him on my first trip to Lauder while touring the castle. He invited me back the next day for a visit. He then gave me a copy of the writing. Lord Maitland said 4 generations of Broomfield's were born in the castle. I had the pleasure of visiting him again on my second trip to Lauder and the castle.
                                I am aware of the Logan line but have done little research so far but I do understand it is a line of nobility. The Logan tartan is still on registry in Scotland. So much information and it is hard to keep track of it all. Do you use Ancestry.com? If so, you can find my Broomfield tree and look at it. I spend lots of time trying to verify what I have.
                               I so look forward to talking with you and sharing information if you would like. New Zealand is another place I hope to visit one day as I know there are many Broomfield's there. By the way, Thomas is still the family name and continues to be carried on. My brother is Thomas Logan Broomfield and his son is Thomas Logan Broomfield. What joy to meet another fine Thomas Broomfield.

Kind regards,
Mona Broomfield   

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 13:12 BST (UK) »
there is a book called Lauder & Lauderdale would be worth a look - there is broomfield photgraphs

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 September 16 16:02 BST (UK) »
Also quite a bit of info re: the broomfield family on the Lauder & Lauderdale book

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 18:10 BST (UK) »
Just to eliminate confusion, Slap is not a place but the nickname given to Robert Broomfield, miller in Greenlaw, by Sir Patrick Hume, who asked Broomfield for money when he was fleeing for his life at the end of 1684. Broomfield was mending a slap at the mill cauld.
In the 1691-95 hearth tax returns, Robert Broomfield is listed as ' Robert Bruntfield, called Slap'

Regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline MatthewG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 January 18 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I am late to the discussion on this forum, so may not get a reply. But several posts mention Robert Broomfield (or Brounfield) of Slap in Greenlaw, who was a miller in the later C17th. Does anyone know of his parentage? (I am descended from Grace, daughter of James Broomfield of Slap, born in 1720). The Broomfields of Greenlaw and surrounding villages are well documented as farmers and 'lesser lairds' in the sixteenth and early seventeenth century. Establishing Robert's father would help to work out a pedigree. 'Robert Brounfield in Greenlaw, also called of the Slap' appears as witness on a parish baptismal register at Gordon in 1668, so he was probably born no later than 1650.
Regards, Matthew

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 January 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for my previous post, as it seems Slap wasa place-name as well as nickname, as the reference to this document in the SRO shows:

RH15/15/38   Instrument of sasine following on precept, 1 March 1705, by Robert Brounfield of Slap in Greenlaw, to Grace Brounfield, his spouse, of tenement in Greenlaw, commonly called Slap

Your Grace appears to have been named after her grandmother.
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram

Offline MatthewG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks -the antiquarian books seem confused as to whether it was a place or a nickname, but the evidence suggests it was probably the location of the mill. Having just been to the records office catalogue, I can see that Broomfield of Slape crops up quite a lot. The absence of Greenlaw birth records suggests it might not be possible to track down Robert's father, though.
Thanks again,
Matthew

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 25 January 18 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Coincidentally, in connection with some other research, I came across a reference to your ancestor probably having an unannounced overnight visitor on 14th September 1701. From the diary of George Home, 17th September 1701:
'My Lord Chancellour [Sir Patrick Hume, Earl of Marchmont] came home Munday's night or at least the length of Greenlaw and lay in Slaps, the water being so great they could not get through the Coach, and it being late befor he came there.'
Coach travel had replaced the horse for gentleman travellers in the late seventeenth century, but it had its disadvantages!

Regards,
Lesley
Webster- Northowram