Author Topic: Origins of Arthur Walker PARKIN, b.circa 1889 d. 1955  (Read 11646 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of Arthur Walker PARKIN, b.circa 1889 d. 1955
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 00:35 BST (UK) »

Keith,

You are spot on, there was a marriage. in 1869.

Ann Brooker & Charles Parkin.
Stockport, Cheshire.
Apr-May-Jun 1869
8A/35

Gerry

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 07:42 BST (UK) »
Sue,
Thanks very much for that, and I have now PM-ed you...
Gerry, all the little clues and pieces of the jigsaw are fitting together very nicely.  I'll hopefully continue to trace this PARKIN family backwards through their Lancashire and Yorkshire flax and linen roots now...
Many thanks for all your help here...
keith

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 09:38 BST (UK) »
Keith

Possibility.

1841 Census.

Barnsley, Market St?
Bottom registration on page 11.
John Parkin, 55, linen weaver, born in the County.
Debra Parkin, 60, not born in the County.

Top registration on page 12 (maybe the next house).

Henry Parkin, 50, yarn agent, born in the County.
Elizh Parkin, 20, born in the County.
Mary Parkin, 15, born in the County.
Benn Parkin, 10, born in the County.
Chas Parkin, 10, born in the County.
Ellen Robinson, 10, FS, born in the County.

Gerry

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 09:46 BST (UK) »
This is a quote from The Argus Tues 27th September 1955-

"PUBLIC TRUSTEE for VICTORIA INTENDS to FILE an ELECTION to ADMINISTER each of the following estates, according to the provisions of the wills, the respective dates thereof being shown hereunder:"

The list of estates includes-

"MCCOLL.- MARY SOPHIA, also known, as Mary McColl, late
of 7 Brooke Street, Hawthorn, widow, will dated 7th June.1955."

She must have died between June 7th and September 1955.

ARTHUR WALKER died 20th OCtober 1955, so it seems to be only few months between.

As has been suggested a download of ARTHUR WALKER PARKIN's death certificate may answer many questions.

An uncertified image can be downloaded to your computer immediately upon payment of about  Aus. $18.00 or $20.00.  You will need the registration number which is given above on the index entry.

http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2574F700805DE7/page/Family+history?OpenDocument&1=60-Family+history~&2=~&3=~

This link shows what you may see on all Victorian certificates.  How complete and accurate the information is, depends on the knowledge of the informant.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 11:17 BST (UK) »
First of all, Gerry,
I think that's probably another very good spot, as I've seen the 27th June 1832 baptism in Barnsley for Charles PARKIN, parents Henry (yarn agent) and Mary, which I think you've already flagged up on this thread.  It looks rather as though another young mother and wife in this PARKIN family has died prematurely, with Mary's absence from this 1841 Census.
And John PARKIN could very well be a brother of Henry PARKIN close by in Barnsley...
And, Sue, thanks so much for all that further detail about Arthur Walker PARKIN, and those informative PM's you've sent me!
regards, keith

Offline PureParkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 09 May 13 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hello All
I'm a descendant of Charles Parkin too and did a lot of work on this a long time ago so it's lovely to hear from Australia. To fill you in with what I know...
Henry Parkin came from Ardsley which is between Sheffield and Barnsley. He was a yarn merchant and a tax payer as early as 1820. He marries Mary Tootle (Tootall, Viyella ?? who knows) and the gravestone listin them and some of their children still exists at St Mary's Barnsley. They had several children who were enlisted in the business as agents. Mary dies in 1844 but Elizabeth and others help out with the father who eventually dies in 1858 at Penistone railway station of apoplexy! As Parkin & Sons the eldest son Henry Thomas Parkin ends up London (retires to Essex), Richard seems to hang around Leeds and Charles covers business in Leeds then Manchester.
Eleanor Butterworth Ownsworth is from a rich farming family from the Silkstone (260 owned acres) who are the land agents for the Wentworths (Butterworths being even greater gentry!). The Ownsworth and Walker families are the solicitors in Barnsley. Eleanor's older brother, James, lodges near the Parkin house in Market St, Barnsley whilst training as a solicitor and presuambly this is how Charles meets Eleanor - although it's a small community and the Parkin's had been taxpayers for some time. It's possibly a rushed marriage but Charles is certainly stepping up. G-Aunt Dorothy in the USA says he was very tall, very handsome but not a good husband! He looks a card in his picture! Eleanor sadly dies of Typhoid Fever at 28 - buried at Silkstone.
As you say Charles needs to move on. He is still a linen agent and would have travelled around. He married Anne Brooker who is a widow who owns Hodgkinson Hotel in Matlock Bath (still there today with fittings from that time). Charles does at least take his kids with him. The reason neither parent is there is because they are only a few doors down at the Hotel - it's a small place. However, that's not to say things weren't awry. Charles dies in January 1880, found 'dead on the highway with no mark of violence' - it's very cold at that time of the year and it's a long way from home so goodness knows what that's about (women, drink?). Haven't been able to locate an inquest just a notification in the paper.
I only have info about my ancestor, Walter and Annie Augusta. Would love to know what happened to Charles Henry ...and now Albert Ownsworth. I believe there were also children from the marriage to Anne who I understood went to Australia. Could they have been the inspiration for Albert? Annie and Walter were sent back to relatives in Barnsley when their father died. Annie went to boarding school and married into gentry in Leicestershire (Mallinson) she also had a spot of sheep-farming in Australia! Walter lived with James Ownsworth in Barnsley and went on to train as an architect - although he never completed this. 3 of his children ended up in the US and we are the only branch to stay in the UK.
I hope that helps. Still loads more to find which is SO much easier now on the internet! (THankfully!) - Oh and here are the pics of Charles and Eleanor Parkin

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Pure Parkin,
I realise that 3-4 years have elapsed since your most informative and very interesting post about the origins of the PARKIN family, but I thought I'd let you know that the lady who was daughter of Arthur Walker PARKIN, Mary, died earlier this year in Cambridgeshire, aged 97, and this afternoon I am going to a memorial service to her in her local village church.  Such a long time ago, those events of 1919 through to about 1921, when she briefly visited Australia with her mother and father, at such a young age...
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Keith, it was very interesting to hear about Mary, the daughter. Thanks for posting.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Judith,
Yes, it was a lovely service, and one of the eulogies was by one of only two surviving first cousins, whom I had a nice chat with afterwards...
Keith