Author Topic: Leeds, St Peter (Leeds Parish Church), Hugh Strickland  (Read 6334 times)

Offline niterider5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leeds, St Peter (Leeds Parish Church), Hugh Strickland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 September 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
Sandymc

So what you are saying I wouldn't be going too far out on a limb if I were to go with Matthew? (as Hugh)  I can see how that fits given your explanation.
I read all of those records last night.  I didn't find any Strickland's at all in them.  I'll bet being from Leeds you actually know and understand some of what is being said in them.
I guess what made me halt on the Matthew idea was none of the Father's names are repeated in the tree.  Is that common?  We have a bunch of William's, John and George, and a few guys named Peter.  Matthew is more common from the Strickland's of Westmorland and Sizergh Castle.  I don't remember Lawrence, Steel or Abraham on any of those trees though.  I do see Yorkshire coming up as a place they were from but that is one big county.  How far away is Westmorland from Leeds?

I had actually thought about volunteering to transcribe records if I ever complete this tree.  After looking at some of that handwriting WOW!!!

Offline niterider5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 September 12 21:26 BST (UK) »
Sandymc

Me again.  I just pulled that record for Abraham/ Matthew.  Would you mind having a look at it and tell me if that looks like Matthew to you.  If you need a bigger image of the full page of handwriting for letter comparison let me know and I'll send you one.  That sure doesn't look like Matthew to me.  It's the first name on the list.

[/img]

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 September 12 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I have seen the copy you have posted not much of it looks like anything really laugh.
If you look with a magnifying glass below Abraham and Mathew there is a Richard and
the scribe does a big twirl on the H of Richard too so I do think it is Mathew but not
as we know it.

Maybe Abraham wasnt passed down in the family because if the death I found of the Abraham who died 1601 is yours.  Mathew(Hugh) wouldnt know anything about the name if no one told him.
I was alive in the 1950's 60's and we were not told anything really about the family, as a child was
a child.  Even when I was old enough to vote at 21 I was still a child to my parents.
It might be worth trying to find out who Elizabeth married after 1601 and maybe the name
of the new husband might be one that has passed down in your family?
I found a Elizabeth Strickland married a Robert Nayler at St Peters on 6th February 1606.
They had a child Rayne Naylor christened 22nd June 1607. Saying this I looked at the
original and the writing is terrible to me it looks like Gaynor not Rayne.
I think the scribe at St Peters used to write latin as the writing certainly looks similar
writing.  I am not saying you should accept my version of Hugh from Mathew but there
is no Hugh baptised in the 1600 year or around that.  I did see someones tree on line
and they have Hugh born 1609 but I cant find a Hugh born that year either.  It could be
a guess from the marriage he had.

I just found another child of Abraham at St Peters,

William Strickland bapts 14th December 1596.
The marriage of Abraham Stickland and Elizabeth Richardson was on 17th February 1795
Have you looked at IGI batch numbers Yorkshire and then look at Leeds.  You will find
all the Sticklands and Rayners on there but no christening of a Hugh.

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline niterider5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
Given this is your neck of the woods, can you  decipher where Abraham is from?  I also noticed that Strickland has the older spelling with an e on th end.
That tree with the 1609 might have been mine.   I was trying out different dates to see if anything came up.   I start at the top and go down the list of everything in England.  Just because the majority of the descendants lived in Leeds doesn't mean they lived there forever.  They could have moved there for who knows what reason.
I ran the same search on the 1601 death, I agree.  Now I've come up empty on Abraham's parents.  I've even checked the branch in Westmorland.  I didn't find any parents for him either.
This is my first year of doing this research and I am still learning how to get at information on the different sites.   Take the library link Brian gave me.  I found that site but because I didn't know the right terms to put in the search box I didn't find anything.    No wonder it take years and years to complete a tree.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I can read alot of the other peoples places but not Abrahams.
There is Armley where I was born, Holbeck, Briggate but cannot
read the beginning of the word or two words.  I thought it ended
in a O but it could be e and maybe the last word is Lane.
The only centre Lane I know in Leeds is Boar Lane but because
of the blodges in the writing it is really bad.  Boar Lane is still there
and on my visit to Leeds the other month walked down it from the
train station.  If it does end in a O then I have no idea what place
it could be unless the scribe has written it in Latin?
Have you put this post on the West Riding of Yorkshire site on here
maybe its recognisable to others? ???

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline niterider5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 15:58 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find any old maps of Yorkshire for this period of time to know what is where. 

I was just trolling records and I found another Hugh Strickland.  He was born in Sept of 1783 to a John Strickland.  Problem is my John Strickland came to the USA in 1775 where he married in Maryland.   I'm wondering if I've chased the wrong line now.
I have a 12:00 appointment but when I get home I'm going to go back and start from the 1775 point and work my way back and see if I end up in the same place.  I may had headed down the wrong road one night when I was really tired and should have gone to bed instead of doing this.  ::)  I'll get back to you and let you know.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

If its another centuary then of course we are all going down the wrong road.
There are John Stricklands on the births in Leeds so maybe the 1775 one did
come to the USA but we have been looking at Leeds in 1600 which makes your
Johns family quite able to be in the USA in 1775.
Let us know if you find anything else out.  They must have come from somewhere
if they settled in the USA.  If it is Yorkshire, Leeds, then it is probably the right
family that we have found

regards Sandymc

Offline niterider5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

I ran a check on all of my chain of documents.  That Hugh was connected to Strickland's of Pennsylvania.  Mine (I think) is the one who was an indentured servant to a man in Maryland.

There is a stumbling point in the chain and that is with a Seth Strickland born in 1791.  His place of birth is in question.  The 1850 US Federal census shows him as being born in N.C.  (No record of him in NC) However I know he lived his whole life in Missouri as far as I can see.   He also served in the Civil War here.  While checking those records I found 2 John Strickland's serving in different regiments but both in the West Tenn. Militia.  (Those serving in that Militia were mostly from Missouri.)
I took the name John and traced it to see if I could find one that had any connections to Missouri.  The John that came here in 1775 was the only one.  I have absolutely no proof he had a son Seth.   Seth b. 1791 has a brother named John who has named his son Seth.   Seth (b.1791) was younger than his brother John.
Other than that bit of guess work the line leads straight to here, so hopefully I'm not chasing my tail.