Author Topic: joseph preston  (Read 2844 times)

Offline caroleoh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
joseph preston
« on: Sunday 16 September 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hello, As anyone any info on a Joseph Preston, born I believe in Nottingham in 1794. I have no firm evidence of this ,but he was born in 1794, having looked up the records there were only 2 Joseph Prestons, my Joseph died in 1840, the only other Joseph ,born Berkshire was in the 1841census, so this has been a process of illimination for me. I assumed Joseph was born in Westminster , where he married in 1821,but found no record of his birth there. I would be most grateful for any info anyone might have. Thankyou caroleoh

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: joseph preston
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 12 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Could this be him

Joseph baptised 9.3. 1794 to Joseph & Mary Preston at St Peters, Notts
abode Drury Hill

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 12 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't think that can be him as I have just checked the burials and found this.

Joseph Preston buried 1.7. 1794 son of Joseph at St Marys, Notts.

There is a second Joseph baptised to Joseph & Mary 30.3. 1796 at St Peters. occupation given as Framework Knitter, but he also died & was buried 13.6. 1796, son of Joseph

Carol

Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 September 12 08:04 BST (UK) »
Where was your Joseph buried and do you have his age to confirm birth year?

Carol
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline caroleoh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 September 12 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't think that can be him as I have just checked the burials and found this.

Joseph Preston buried 1.7. 1794 son of Joseph at St Marys, Notts.

There is a second Joseph baptised to Joseph & Mary 30.3. 1796 at St Peters. occupation given as Framework Knitter, but he also died & was buried 13.6. 1796, son of Joseph

Carol

Offline caroleoh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 September 12 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunflower ,
           Many thanks for your reply. My GGGrandfather Joseph definately died in 1840, I have his death cert . He died in Dean Place off Vincent Square, Westminster London. His burial was at St John the Evangelist Church Smith Square, Westminster. According to his death cert he died in Dec 1840 age 46 years, so this tallies with the year of birth I have. Thank you for confirming the Nottingham Joseph was'nt him, I found a Joseph Preston b, 1794 in Berkshire, but that one prooved fruitless too. The only other one i have found is for Dewsbury Yorkshire, the name Preston seems very common in Yorkshire ,but even so it seems London was along way to go in those days. His wife Susannah was a devonshire girl ,but dont have any details on how they met. All my searches for him have found nothing, I would love to find something that would confirm his birth place Many Thanks Carole Oh.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 September 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

Are there any clues from his marriage entry, witnesses etc. or the informant on the death certificate.

Carol
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline caroleoh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 September 12 21:49 BST (UK) »
 Hello. Many thank's for your reply . On Josephs death cert ,informant was a  Mr Gill, it says owner for Westminster Little Cloisters, which I'm afraid means nothing to me. I think I told you Joseph's place of death, was Dean Place when in fact it was George Place Westminster, Dec 21ST 1840, AGE 46. His marriage cert offers no clues either I'm afraid, his witness's were a Thomas Neale and a Mary Warren, who I know to be the sister of my GGGrandmother Susannah wife of Joseph. Married 10th Sept 1821, St John The Evangelist Church Smith Square Westminster. Thank's once again Caroleoh  :)