Author Topic: regent park terrace kinning park  (Read 5283 times)

Offline NeishaD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
regent park terrace kinning park
« on: Monday 17 September 12 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hello there

This is my first post but I have done lots of reading in rootschat to see if anyone else has discussed my topic. There are some similar items but not the specific thing I'm trying to find out.

I'm trying to find where regent park terrace is in glasgow. My GG grandfather and grandmother both died there in 1904. The address comes from their death certs and is listed as being in the 'kinning park' distric of glasgow.

I've done searches on this web forum and just a general search on google but come up with nothing. Ive looked a web sites in which street names may have changed but still no joy. I've spent ages going thorugh the maps on maps.nls.uk but I cant find it on there.....

I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me where it is. I assume its all been demolished now but even so, I'd still like to know where it was.

My GG grandparents were James Dunbar and Isabella Dunbar (nee Bain). In the 1901 census they lived in bellgrove street and in 1891 they were in reidvale street, which is just around the corner. In 1871 they were in gallowgate, again around the corner. So, why they moved over to kinning park after 1901, I don't know. Since their place of residence for about 20 yrs was dennistoun I assumed they'd be buried at eastern necropolis (?) but now I've found they died over in regent park terrace, I would be interested to know if anyone has suggestions about where they might have been buried?

Lots of questions, sorry! But would be grateful for any help.

Thanks.

Neisha

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: regent park terrace kinning park
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 12 04:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Neisha, nothing really to add, but it would appear that Regent Park Terrace is/was in Strathbungo, which forms part of the Kinning Park area?

Hope you get the results you require, oh and nearly forgot, welcome to Rootschat!
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NeishaD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 12 06:13 BST (UK) »
HI

Thanks for that. I've seen Regent Park Square in modern maps in that area. I'll have a look at that area on the old maps to see if I can find Regent Park Terrace.

Best wishes,

Neisha

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 September 12 16:28 BST (UK) »
Regent Park Terrace is not named on the 1893 map of the area but the Post Office Directory for the same period (and afterwards) cross reference to Pollokshaws Road for some of the numbers of Regents Park Terrace it is possibly then the houses which fronted the Squares and faced onto Pollokshaws Road.

Just checked, the 1903/04 Directory places Regents Park Terrace in Pollokshaws Road - this generally indicates that although it was part of the main road it carried its own seperate identity. (There are several places in Glasgow where this happens - even today). The entry also places it in the same area as Regents PArk Square so I think that it does refer to the house fronting onto Pollokshaws Road.

Do you have an actual address in Regents Park Terrace - the directories may help to identify the premises .

As to burial place a lot depends on who made the arrangements. If it was done by family they may well be buried in a place associated with the family but if it was done by the authorities it would have been local to their place of death possibly in this case the Southern Necropolis.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 September 12 21:41 BST (UK) »
The next parts of the development to be built were 11-17 Moray Place, both sides of Regent Park Square and the north side of Queen Square, which were all built in 1864-1865, and the northern-most two tenement blocks of Regent Park Terrace on Pollokshaws Road, first occupied in 1865 and 1867.

http://www.talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2080

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 September 12 22:28 BST (UK) »
Re' burials, they could be in the Southern Necropolis but as they had lived in Dennistoun/The Calton, they might have a lair in the Necropolis or the Eastern Necropolis as you suggest.

Skoosh.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 September 12 22:43 BST (UK) »
Regents park terrace still existed on 1901 census and it may be worth checking to see if it existed on 1911 census.
I think the website for street name changes is for changes after 1930. If you look at streetview for Regents Park Square you can see that the tenements on the north side of Pollokshaws road sit back from the road and have a garden area at the front and a lane at the back. I wonder it these blocks were the 'terraces' which became part of Pollokshaws Road

Offline NeishaD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for all your help. Its been fascinating reading.

The post office directories are a fantastic resource. I've looked up 1903-1904 and 1904-1905 to find my GG grandparents address but although regent park terrace is listed separately and part of Pollokshaws Road, the number they are supposed to have lived in was not present in either directory (number 6 is where they lived and died; in march 1904 for my GG grandmother and dec 1904 for my GG grandfather). In fact number 6 is not present even down to 1900-1901 (not managed to get any further yet!). I presume it is the name of the tenant in these directories and not the building/tenement owners name that is listed?

In 1894 they were living in 49 reidvale street and I did manage to find a J Dunbar resident at that address in the 1894 directory - it was a really lovely feeling to see his name there!

With regard to burial places, how do I go about finding out if it was undertaken by other family members or the the local authorities?

BW

Neisha

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 09:16 BST (UK) »
The first step would be to check the death registrations and see who registered the deaths.

Although there were many smaller undertakers businesses in Glasgow there were two major companies involved The Co-oP and Wyllie & Lochhead - The Mitchell have the records of one and Glasgow University Archives have the records of the other (sorry I can't remember offhand which is where).

Unfortunately Glasgow's burial records are currently undergoing digitisation and are not available either to staff or public but in the past they have indicated to other enquirers that a hefty fee was involved in any search of the records. It may be a case of wait and see what is available when the digitisation project finishes.

Check the papers of the time around the dates of death as there may have been an entry there.