Author Topic: Samuel Hick  (Read 5833 times)

Offline HillfootJohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Hick
« on: Monday 17 September 12 13:57 BST (UK) »
According to family legend, the methodist lay preacher Samuel Hick is great uncle to my great grandfather James Parker 1828-1889.  James's mother is Mary nee Hick but I have not been able to make the link to Samuel.  Sammy's life, 1757-1829, is documented in a book 'The Village Blacksmith' by James Everett.  Other branches of the family have the same stry in their families but no-one has found the link.  Does anyone on Rootschat have any knowledge of the story?  James Parker spent his life in Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK, and Samuel Hick was a blacksmith in Micklefield, a small village east of Leeds on the old A1 trunk road near Aberford.

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Hick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi & welcome to Rootschat

It would help if you told us what you know about James Parker, so that we know we are looking at the right person   :)

Have you found him in the censuses - if so, can you give us the details or the census reference?

Similarly, anything you know about Mary

Unfortunately, Hicks & Parker (coupled with Mary & James) are not particularly uncommon - but we like a challenge!   :)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HillfootJohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestion.  Here is more about James Parker and Samuel Hick.  Great grandfather was James Parker, born in 1828 in Leeds, founded a wholesale fruit and vegetable business in 1864, died in 1889 in Leeds. He married Hannah Wallis from Colchester in Leeds in1848. They had four daughters and two sons; James (jnr) continued the business in Leeds and his brother Fred was my grandfather. Fred Parker was born in Regent Street, Leeds in 1854, came to Bradford around 1880 and married Sarah Sunderland in Bradford in 1883. He started a similar wholesale fruit and vegetable business in St. James’ Market, Bradford. When he retired he moved to Harrogate and died in 1929.
James‘s parents were Edmund Parker from Whitkirk 1789-1855, and Mary Hick from Aberford 1793-1874. They married in 1814 in Aberford at the parish church (pictured). The family story that the noted Methodist lay preacher, Samuel Hick was a great uncle of James Parker must have started from Mary. ‘Sammy’ was a blacksmith in Micklefield, then on the A1 main road, just south of Aberford.

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 13:47 BST (UK) »
The Village Blacksmith book is available online here

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0r6k/
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clarky 666

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 May 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
The Village Blacksmith book is available online here
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0r6k/ 
SAM Hick was my  great great grandfather, my grandpa was Edwin hick all from Yorkshire  my great grandpa was a member of the Thoresby society in Leeds and wrote a book on Kippax we believe the family go back to Cornwall and bristol but our early family tree got thrown away. my great grandpa was Edwin as well.

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 May 16 20:47 BST (UK) »
Samuel Hick was apparently my other half's 4x g grandfather - The census returns document the family pretty well, but for some reason the parish records are particularly elusive for this family!
Haden, Edwards, Bradley, Lamb, Cooper, Pool, Hepton, Ellam, Wilbe, Taylor

Offline clarky 666

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 09:39 BST (UK) »
i have the full Hick family tree, back to 1765, my great grandpa Edwin from leeds traced back to Cornwall 1500, but that got thrown away, get in touch if you want more imfo, regards John. :)

Offline hick4262

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hello John

My name is Edwin hick I still live in kippax we are related, my dad was Norman, born 1928 my grandad was David hick and I belive his brother was Edwin my great uncle would have been your great grandad! Do you still have a copy of the family tree? I would love a copy to continue it myself

Thanks in advance Edwin

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
For some reason I missed the post from Clarky666 about the family tree. Allegedly my other half is a direct descendant, but I'm still struggling to get any primary evidence - is anyone aware of Samuel Hick having any daughters, please?
We do have a copy of the Village blacksmith book.
Haden, Edwards, Bradley, Lamb, Cooper, Pool, Hepton, Ellam, Wilbe, Taylor