Author Topic: Burnside of Lethen, Auldearn 1904-1910  (Read 8629 times)

Offline bmanson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Burnside of Lethen, Auldearn 1904-1910
« on: Friday 27 May 05 17:31 BST (UK) »
With the death of James Mackintosh (ggg grandfather) in 1902 at the age of 97, the descendants here in Western Canada had assumed that there was no family left living at Brunside of Lethen, Auldearn.  The family had lived there from at least the 1841 through the 1901 census.
However, we just made a recent discovery of old postcards (unsigned, cut dated 1906 to 1908) from family (?) at that address.
Does anyone know of any way to check as to who was living at that address during that period?
Brian
MANSON.SURRY.LOE.WAUGH.McKAY.CHUBB.GLASSOP.MACKINTOSH.PEWTER.VINCENT.HARRISSON.WRIGHT

Offline dunrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burnside of Lethen, Auldearn 1904-1910
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 10 11:14 BST (UK) »
My grandmother Amelia Innes was living at Burnside of Lethen Farm House in 1901, she was 9 years old. Listed in the census are:
Alexander Innes (head)- Farm Manager
Elizabeth Innes (wife) - Housekeeper
Robert Innes (son)- Scholar
William Innes (son)- Scholar
Amelia Innes (daughter)- Scholar
Jane Innes (daughter)- Scholar

At Burnside House Bothy was living Charles Innes - son of Alexander and Elizabeth Innes, he was 19 and listed as a Ploughman. He emigrated to Canada between 1901 and 1903 (the year his mother died aged 44) and farmed near Portage la Prairie living into his 80s.

I do have some family photos from this period - one of which was definetly taken at Burnside of Lethen. Next time I go to visit a friend near Elgin I will drive round to see what is still there and work out if a couple of photos I have are of Burnside of Lethen Farm House (if it still exists).

My great grandfather Alexander Innes died in 1913 - I am still researching to see if he was still at the same address at the time of his death. By this time both his daughters had left home to go into domestic service and his son Robert had joined the police force in Glasgow.

Your relative James McIntosh ( occupation sawmiller) is listed as living at Burnside Cottage with his daughters Ann and Jessie (both single).

It is possible that the correspondance could have been with Ann and Jessie McIntosh - why dont you try and find their death certificates to see if they stayed on at Burnside for the rest of their lives.

Offline dunrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 20:17 BST (UK) »
I have now found out that by 1913 none of the Innes family were living at Burnside of Lethen. At the time of his death in 1913 Alexander Innes was living in Nairn - maybe he had had to leave his job because of ill health - he appears to have died of cancer. His son William had moved away from the area by this time and was living in the Glasgow area.

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 May 10 00:46 BST (UK) »
You might already have this.

Gravestone in Cawdor

In memory of Elizabeth Simpson beloved wife of Alexander Innes died at Burnside, Lethen 1st May 1903 aged 44 years. And the said Alexander Innes died at Nairn 24th Dec 1913 aged 55 years. Also Margaret their daughter died at Achindoune 3rd Nov 1888 aged 3 years. Also their third son James, Coy Quarter Master Sergt. 1st Seaforth Highlanders who was killed at the Battle of Neuve Chapelle 10th March 1915 aged 31 years, dearly beloved husband of Jessie Masson Tulloch.

Offline dunrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 May 10 12:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you ghostwhisperer - yes I have a photo of that gravestone.