Author Topic: William McIntosh of Millbank, Nairn  (Read 34805 times)

Offline francesr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William McIntosh of Millbank, Nairn
« on: Wednesday 19 September 12 07:59 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone might know more of William McIntosh (also Mackintosh) who seems to have inherited Millbank in Nairn in 1822 after his brother Beachamp died in India. (An older brother seems to have died also, and there was at least one sister.) William married Jane Gallaway in Edinburgh 7.4.1810. At some point after 1822, they emigrated to Australia possibly with children.
Thanks very much for your time.
Francesr

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William McIntosh of Millbank, Nairn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Francesr

Just on dates, the entry for marriage in Edinburgh likely to have the banns to the marriage. A further later date shows here on the 12 April in Glasgow  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTBH-16Y (this might be a further reading of the banns - the original image of the entry on the Old Parish Register would help with this).

Have you seen the Will & Testament entries here www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Two entries show. The first:

William McIntosh, 2 Nov. 1816. Lieutenant Colonel, of Millbank who died at Nairn. Testament Testamentar & Inventory - deed of Settlement recorded in Commissay Court Books 3 March 1815.

Not sure what is different between that document and this referenced here www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?queryType=1&resultcount=1&Edoc_Id=231738

Also, Colonel William MacKintosh's death entry here, aged 74, 22 July 1814 www.electricscotland.com/history/highlands/no8.htm

As you mentioned, reference here on 18 July 1822 in the Inverness Courier, to second born son of William Snr., Beauchamp www.electricscotland.com/history/highlands/no17.htm

I think a further couple of entries for Beauchamp at TNA here:
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=059-msseur_2&cid=409#409
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?queryType=1&resultcount=1&Edoc_Id=275300

Added: Possible birth for Beauchamp MacKintosh? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X16G-BJV  Maybe another sister here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X1DX-ZHW

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 10:19 BST (UK) »
Given the nature of the family's life, have you tried searching through google books? A few references there, such as - Sequestration of assest from William Jnr. in 1837 - www.rootschat.com/links/0r7h/ Quite a detailed legal report on assets given.

Mention here of a sister Elizabeth www.ambaile.org.uk/en/item/item_photograph.jsp?item_id=142656

From this link http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SCT-NAIRNSHIRE/2008-03/1205797327 - Jane at least was certainly in Australia with her death entry showing there in 1848:

11 Nov 1848 At Port Philip (Melbourne) Australia, Jane GALLOWAY wife of William McINTOSH late of Mill Bank, Nairn

As for William, husband, his death notice here (death date  27 MAR 1853), at the home of his sister, a Mrs MacDonald, at Knockando, Melbourne www.rootschat.com/links/0r7w/

Do you have any formal reference to the name of mother and wife of the family? This would help to hopefully find other children to the family hopefully.

Monica

Offline janiamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 September 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
William McIntosh of Millbank
This is not my family but I do know this is the Balnespic line. This William McIntosh had brother in law Dr. Peter Macarthur (married to Anne Galloway) who also emigrated to Australia. I think you must have traced William's line back? I know little about them or descendants. Jane

Offline francesr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 September 12 07:49 BST (UK) »
Dear Monica and Jane,
Thank you so much for all this wonderful info.
Monica - the links were excellent and provided plenty of new background. It seems William went bankrupt in 1837 which narrows down the time he and Jane and children(?) came to Australia; probably to join the MacDonalds and Macarthurs (or in some other order ...)
Jane - I am thrilled to have another Gallaway marriage and another lot of emigrants!
I am trying to track the Gallaway marriages to see if I can find out more about their artist father, Alexander. Especially after 1816 which is the latest date I have for a miniature painted by him (in Nairn!)
Thanks again.
Kind regards,
Francesr

Offline Guyon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 January 13 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Dear Monica, Jane and Francesr- I am descended from Colonel Mackintosh through his youngest daughter Margaret Mary Macdonald -infact I have extensive history of the whole family and miniature portraits of the Colonel and his wife Elizabeth Claudia Guyon- possibly painted by Alexander Gallaway. I do not know how the Colonel made his pile- he retired from the army when he married thereabouts. Eldest son William was born in London then they lived in Forres and later Newton, Aberdeen later retiring at Nairn. Uncle William after marriage lived at Poonamallee, Madras. He inherited Millbank and other property and established a distillery at Nairn - bankrupt 1837- emigrated to Australia 1838 and later lived with his sister Margaret-she emigrated 1842- her sons Dr Allan Ranald, William Kenneth and Angus had Glenaulin Station, Victoria and later Orari Station, New Zealand. The Macdonalds are the only descendants surviving of the Colonel altho he appears to have had an earlier illegitimate daughter whose daughter Mrs Gow had family in Edinburgh. Margaret Mary died at Geraldine NZ 1876 -her other sister Eliza married James Augustus Grant of Viewfield, Nairn who became the Mackintosh trustee. Each of the children received about 5000 pounds. Brother Lachlan died young while Beauchamp and Guyon were officers in the East India Service. Beauchamp a Major Madras Artillery died 1822 and Guyon a Captain in the Indian Naval Service died at Padang, Sumatra in 1831- they both had children by Indian wives but these marriages were not recognized under English law. Colonel Mackintosh was a younger son of William Mackintosh "of Balnespick"- I have in front of me the 1779 commission of Colonel Mackintosh signed by George 111- when the regiment was disbanded he kept the regimental colours of 97 regiment of foot -one of which is now in the museum of the Royal West Kent Regiment at Maidstone- I will be happy to answer any further question- best regards from Guyon

Offline francesr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 January 13 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Dear Guyon,
To say I am thrilled to have your reply would be putting it mildly! No wonder I couldn't find some of the obvious information - people had 'just' gone to India or NZ! So you have filled in quite a lot of the gaps for me already - thank you so much.
I have recently found some more on William and Jane nee Gallaway Mackintosh (and their descendants - I haven't followed this far enough ahead to ascertain if there are any still living) and am waiting on some new info on Peter Macarthur and his family which is in the Soc. of Genealogists in Sydney.
I would be most interested in any more info you might have, particularly concerning the Gallaway side of the family. I have found a great deal already. I also have a lot of Alexander Gallaway images which may help to decide if your miniatures are by him. I have been wondering if there were family descendants who had had AG miniatures passed down to them, and here you (hopefully) are!
I would suggest, if you are happy about this, that we continue on on the private page - personal email is also better for forwarding docs/files I have found. Up to you of course, but I'd be most grateful.
Thanks again for your generous response.
Kind regards,
Francesr

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 January 13 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year to both of you  :)

Welcome to Rootschat, Guyon!

Just a note on the use of the Private Message service (PMs). This is activitated for a new member to RC after three posts, anywhere on the main boards.

Guyon, just a couple more posts here and you will be able to send and receive PMs. A great way (only way!) to exchange personal email address and personal info. To send someone a PM, just click on the small 'letter' button on their username on the l/h side. You can access your PM account, just look to the brown button links across the top of the page, under 'My Messages'.

Monica  :)

Offline janiamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 January 13 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Dear Guyon, Monica, Frances, I am very interested in your messages and would be delighted to be kept in the thread. I am particularly intrested in Peter McArthur from Cawdor (related my my own Macarthurs) and brother-in-law of one of my ancestors. If there is any 18th century Macarthur genealogy that you are able to obtain from Australia, I would be delighted to know!
You wrote
Glasgow Courier, of May 1794 ...an advertisement announcing that he (Galloway) and a Mr Williams had moved their drawing academy to Horns Court, Argyll St. He moved in 1801 to Smith's land, Trongate, Glasgow, and from 1811-1812 was residing at 6 James Sq, Edinburgh. His wife, Ann, nee Rowland, had 2 daughters, Catherine (later Mrs Hadway 1803-1867) and Mary (later Mrs Wallan Brown.) Alexander's sister was Jean and a Colonel John Campbell was a cousin of Ann Rowland. (Info from 2 books by Daphne Foskett.)

Of interest is that one of the executors of the will of Mr. Williams was Aeneas McBean, WS Edinburgh, also from Inverness (19th century).
The following on the web: ...had no children and Williams became unwell in the summer of 1828, dying on the 14th June the following year after a very painful illness. He was buried in the Miller family plot in the Canongate churchyard, Edinburgh on the 22nd June.
Robina and the artist's other Trustees, Aeneas MacBean, WS. and the miniature painter, W. J. Thomson [1771-1845], arranged a studio sale in 1831 but the sale catalogue makes it clear that this did not include any of his Greek material and no significant oil paintings. Some of his Greek watercolours and smaller Greek subjects in Sepia -the latter made for publication in the Select Views in Greece - were sold on the death of Aeneas MacBean in 1858. Robina presented a collection of works, which included large exhibition watercolours of Greece, a bronze model of the Parthenon and one oil canvas, to the newly opened National Gallery of Scotland, in 1859. Most of this group hung almost continuously in one of the small octagonal rooms in the Gallery until the late 1950's. It has been established here that this was the earliest permanent, public exhibition of watercolours, in Britain ..
Again thanks, Jane