Author Topic: William McIntosh of Millbank, Nairn  (Read 34807 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William McIntosh of Millbank, Nairn
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 13 January 13 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Enthusiasts yesterday celebrated the restoration of the forgotten Highland grave of a doctor who played a key role at the battle of Trafalgar.. Niel Smith was an assistant ship's surgeon who fought to save the life of Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson on HMS Victory after the British commander had been shot by a French sniper. He appears in two celebrated paintings of Nelson's final moments..(..)
…a chance discovery by local historians and the efforts of the 1805 Club… Dr Smith's overgrown grave was discovered after Cawdor Heritage Group carried out a survey of gravestones in Cawdor cemetery in the mid 1990s… Unveiling the plaque, Ewen Brodie of Lethen, the lord-lieutenant of Nairn, said 'We never knew that such an important character in our country's history who has been immortalised on canvas was actually a son of Nairnshire and the Highlands..'
Smith's family originally came from Nairn - the seaside holiday resort that was a favourite of Hollywood legend Charlie Chaplin. His father was Duncan Smith of Howford and his mother was Anne Macpherson (*). He was born at his grandmother's house on April 12, 1780. .. In 1812 he returned to the Highlands, where he married his cousin, Anne Macpherson of Ardersier, daughter of the factor of Cawdor Estate.
They retired to Forres, but Dr. Smith died in 1819 at 39 and was buried at Cawdor cemetery.
 (*) This should read Margaret Macpherson. Her sister Anne Macpherson was married to John Macgillivray of Tierfognian and Keppernach)
Interesting about John McArthur in Laggan.
I am particularly interested in Peter McArthur genealogy because he was legal representative for a family of Falconers in Nairnshire in an inheritance case 18th century (his mother was a Falconer). I am trying to work out the different trees that are described. Jane

Hello,

I have been following this thread with great interest because i feel it might help me to make some progress on what has been a sticking point for many years. Your Smith information is really making me hope now! I have a Smith family in Nairn which obviously had definite links with the Grants of Viewfield. William Smith, married to Margaret Forsyth, in Nairn, 1813, was a mason/builder. All of the offspring of this couple had at least one of the Grant family as witnesses at their baptism and their third son, born 1824, was named James Augustus Grant Smith, with J.A. Grant as one of the witnesses.
I have struggled for years to find any further information on William - he died before the 1841 census and therefore there is also no death registration for him. I can find no mention of a burial or any other clue as to his background.

But the connection with the Grants make me believe that his was a family of means and I feel sure there must be some record of his existence somewhere. His wife was born in Duffus, Morayshire but there I also draw a blank, except that he mother was called Jane ( thanks to 1841 census).
 There was also a James Smith, architect, named as witness on some family documents - I have wondered if this could be a brother but again, nothing to confirm this.

If anyone can help with this Smith family I should be eternally grateful.

Many thanks,

Jen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline janiamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 13 January 13 17:28 GMT (UK) »
We went off into a bit of a tangent there with the genealogy.
Actually I don't know much about the family of James Augustus Grant except what is available Fasti. His wife's connections are the MacDonald and Macarthur lines in Australia.  These Macarthurs of Polniach would seem to come from Phroaig, Islay (according to inscription on a sword given by Charles Macgillivray to the military museum at Fort George about 1950). The earliest documented Macarthur in Cawdor that I found was Dr. Peter's grandfather Duncan Macarthur at Urchany who in an old deed witnessed the Earl of Cawdor's signature as "Servitor". There are many documents in the archives of Cawdor  Campbell but they are private archives unfortunately.

Then we got on to refer to a different family of Macarthurs in Cawdor who apparently came from Strachur. These Macarthurs therefore were intermarried with Smiths from Howford (near Nairn) and connected with the Macphersons from Ardersier.  I'm not sure yet how these Macphersons were connected earlier to Grants or McIntoshes of Balnespic, but John thinks it is probable.

Do send me as much family information (namely witnesses at baptisms of children of Wm Smith and Jane Forsyth) to * and I'll see if I have anything in my database that could help identify this family. Jane
(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 13 January 13 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Do send me as much family information (namely witnesses at baptisms of children of Wm Smith and Jane Forsyth) to * and I'll see if I have anything in my database that could help identify this family. Jane

Email sent, many thanks

Jen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline francesr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 14 January 13 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jane and John,
I have sent you both individual personal messages - do let me know if you received them.
Kind regards,
Francesr

Offline chrisby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 16 November 13 09:04 GMT (UK) »
I am quite new to researching ancestors and have just joined Rootschat today. My husbands family are directly descended from Dr Peter Macarthur and Anne Gallaway. Their son Andrew is our connection. if anyone has any ancestral information they can share I would be very grateful.  I believe that Peter was an army surgeon before marrying Anne and emigrating to Australia.
I'm loving where this journey of discovery is taking me. I was never really very interested in history at school- but as i've got older and especially since starting researching family ancestry I am amaze at what i'm learning and changing about what I thought I knew!
Hoping someone has some information for me and I will share what I know too

Offline Guyon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 November 13 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello
   Andrew Macarthur went to the gold diggings with my great grandfather William Kenneth Macdonald  60 miles from <Melbourne in 1852 - unfortunately "they tired of  the spade before they got many feet down". The Macdonalds and Macarthurs were great friends. Ann Macarthur's sister Jane (died 1848) married William Mackintosh -maternal uncle of W K Macdonald. I have heaps of family info from old letters of the Macarthur family if you are interested- John Macdonald

Offline chrisby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 17 November 13 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thank you fro your prompt response to my request. Andrew Macarthur was my husbands 3x great grandfather. I am very excited to learn what you can share with me. You are the first contact on our Macarthur side. It is delightful to hear that your ancestor and Andrew were such good friends. Is there anything you want to know from me. Looking forward to hearing from you soon
Chris

Offline francesr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 17 November 13 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Dear chrisby,
I will let Guyon answer your queries as he is the fount of all knowledge re your Macarthurs.
My own interest is in Anne Gallaway as I am currently researching her father Alexander and his family. He was a fine miniature artist of whom little is known. I am wondering if you might know anything of him/his family? My family owns 4 miniatures by him, though we are apparently not related at all.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,
Francesr

Offline chrisby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 17 November 13 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Dera Francesr,
Great to hear from you. I know very little about Anne's family.
I have her born 2 May 1800 in Glasgow to Alexander Gallaway (born c 1750) and Ann Rowand ( ?).
She married Dr. Peter Macarthur on 21 Feb 1821 in Nairn and they had 4 children that I know of- namely Patrick 1821-1895, Anne 1823-?, Alexander 1824-? and my husbands ancestor Andrew 1826-1888.
Peter was born in1774 and studied medicine at Edinburgh University for 1 year in 1794 but did not qualify as an MD there. He probably completed his training in the Royal Army Medical Corps. I understand he was  an army surgeon in the Peninsular wars. So he was quite advanced in years when he married Anne 47 to her 21.
They arrived in Australia 18 Sep 1834 and had a successful life here. Peter laid the foundation stone for the first united Presbyterian Church in Melbourne ,Victoria. I was there last week but although I found the site the church building is no longer there. I'm hoping to find out a bit more about that.
Think that's all for now
I'd be very interested to learn as much as possible about Anne 's family. How lovely to know that her father was a painter- he must have been a skilled artist to produce miniatures. Can they be viewed?
well all for now -i lok forward to hearing from GUNOR?
Warm regards,
Chris