Author Topic: William McIntosh of Millbank, Nairn  (Read 34806 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William McIntosh of Millbank, Nairn
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 January 13 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

Understandably, I am not clear on the various parties' interests that you mention but just wanted to add some details that may or may not be relevant to your research - sounds like you are well underway on this!

Aeneas MacBean, WS - other than being one of the trustees to the will of Mr William, has he any specific relevance to your research?

For example, his death cert will be available to view on the pay to view site  www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk I think his death year is likely to be 1857 in Edinburgh, rather than 1858. What does show as 1858 are his various Will & Testament entries, which again, depending on how he fits in with all of this, may or may not be relevant. From example, from SP, you can view and download the following documents for a small cost:

14/01/1858 - Inventory. 13 pages.
14/01/1858 - Not stated what type of document. 35 pages.

There is also this reference (you can order the photo for free online on the site) www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravedetails.php?available=yes&fullname=Janet%20MacBean&grave=60660

I was curious (...but then I am always curious!)as to why it wasn't until Aeneas MacBean's death that there then seem to be release of a substial important part of the Williams' collection.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guyon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 January 13 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Dear Monica, Jane and Francesr- delighted to hear from you all- I would be happy to receive E Mails. William and Jane Mackintosh did not have children however Peter and Ann Macarthur did. I only know that many of them live in Melbourne- I wonder if the Macarthurs and Macdonalds were related otherwise because many of them had the same family names -they were great friends and mentioned in many old letters I have. I also wonder if they were related to the Camden Macarthurs who my great grandfather W K Macdonald had letters of introduction to when he arrived at Sydney in 1839- regards John Macdonald

Offline Guyon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 January 13 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Monica, Jane, Frances- delighted to hear from you all- William and Jane Mackintosh did not leave children but Peter and Ann Macarthur did- Peter Macarthur died in 1861. He was formerly Surgeon of the 6th Royal Veteran Battalion. The Macarthurs stayed with the Macdonalds at Berrima NSW on their first overland trip to Melbourne and likewise when the three Macdonalds with their mother arrived overland at Melbourne they stayed with the Macarthurs in their hut at Yarra Bend, Merri Creek- they were all great friends and perhaps related in other ways judging by the family names- regards John Macdonald

Offline Guyon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 January 13 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Dear Monica, Jane and Francesr- getting used to your system so excuse errors-sent two brief messages which I trust you have- if William and Jane had any children they must have died young. Fortunately I have many family letters of the time- Macarthurs mentioned a lot. I also have letters written by Uncle William but can add nothing more about the Gallaways. I have wondered if the miniatures were by Alexander Gallaway because they are beautifully executed and would have been painted about 1810. They are not signed but that may be because they were a gift from the artist? When Uncle William died a large collection of Mackintosh and Guyon portraits, miniatures and significant chattels came to the Macdonalds but the only miniatures I think by Gallaway were the ones of the Colonel and his wife in old age. They are beautiful.
        There is another connection to Peter and Ann Macarthur. Their daughter (Ann I think) married the Hon John Fowler Turnbull MLC of Loy Yang, Gippsland and one of their sons also a John Fowler Turnbull married Elizabeth eldest daughter of Dr Allan Macdonald. There was one child Allan Macdonald Turnbull who died without issue in Melbourne in 1955- however his father had brothers whose descendants I think can be traced in Victoria- best regards from Guyon

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 January 13 18:37 GMT (UK) »
John, you are up and running now with your PM service  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janiamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 January 13 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Dear Monica, re Aeneas McBean, WS, he has been researched by Kim Hansen, and I wondered how he related family-wise to members of this artistic coterie in Edinburgh (if at all). My interest is in Nairnshire/Inverness society in 18th century and early 19th.   Dig deep or wide enough, and the roots intermingle, which is fascinating.   I am particularly interested in Peter McArthur's genealogy as well as that of his Falconer mother. Jane

Offline janiamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 January 13 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear John, Camden Macarthurs
My late father Colin Macgillivray (1910-1987) maintained that the Cawdor Macarthurs (of whom he was descended) were related to the Camden Macarthurs in Australia. This seemed unlikely and I thought the story was intermingled with the Peter McArthur family who went to Australia. But recently studies of Macarthurs show that at least one 18th century Macarthur in Cawdor, William who married Elizabeth/Betty Smith with issue Jean born 1776 and John (1779-1842) was the granduncle of John Macarthur of Merino sheep fame, and apparently was born in Loch Fyne. Another Macarthur member of this family (ie step-niece) of Dr. Peter Macarthur, Elspet (1820 - 1893) married Alpin Grant Cameron in Queensland, Australia. Is there any mention of her in the letters Guyon? Best wishes, Jane

Offline janiamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 January 13 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Dear John, John Macdonald
I would be very interested to know where your Macdonalds originally came from. Was it from a parish in Nairnshire? Many thanks, Jane

Offline Guyon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 January 13 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jane- our Macdonalds were the Gallavie family, Badenoch. I have Macarthur friends descended from Hannibal. I would be interested in anything you have regarding anyone before Alexander of Plymouth Dock. There was a John Macarthur living in the Macdonalds crofting village at Laggan after Culloden- he was a literate man and I have wondered if he was one of your family- obviously my family had connections with the Camden family before they emigrated to Australia. Sasine records might be revealing? regards Guyon