Author Topic: Brady...Ripper 1822  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brady...Ripper 1822
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 September 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
1841 suggests Louisa was older and born before the move to London

Charles John - b 1829, death registered Q4 1868, aged 38
Whitechapel, Vol    1c, p299

he married Mary Ann White in Shoreditch,  1859. 1871 the widowed Mary Ann is in Shoreditch with Charles Hall aged 10, Alice 6, Thomas A 4 and Louisa 3. By 1881 Mary Ann has remarried Robert Vowles and is living in St Luke with the three youngest children

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 September 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Possible given that on the 1841 census Louisa was born out of county, though in 1861 her birthplace is given as Shoreditch

24th September 1824 born 26th October 1823 St Mary Key Ipswich
Louisa Brady parents Thomas and Alice

From Family Search an index so no further details.

Thomas and Alice married at St George Hanover Square in 1822 so the first child may have been taken back to Suffolk for the baptism or Alice returned there for her first confinement.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 September 12 20:51 BST (UK) »
DOing dome searching of the newspaper Archive, Old Bailey online and London Gazette I can see a few possible mentions of Thomas as a witness in his role as policeman/street keeper in the mid 1830s but nothing to suggest the sudden downfall

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 September 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is an Alice Brady death registration that looks very likely for Thomas' wife so a second marriage could be possible.

1845 March quarter
Whitechapel registration district
Volume 2
Page 444

Possible death registration for Thomas

September quarter 1861
Stepney registration district
Volume 1c
Page 319

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
HI there do you know the origins of Thomas Brady? Was he connected to John Brady and Sarah Murdock who married in 1756 and had a son Thomas Brady in Orford in 1764?

I have my own thread on the Orford Bradys here as I am researching them also.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=759925.new#new

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 June 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
Jon,

According to our manuscript  family records, any connection that might exist will be very distant and possibly tenuous. Thomas who married Alice Ripper in Hanover Sq., London, had been living in Ipswich, as also seems likely had Alice (whose background is very obscure). He was the great great grandson of Charles Brady of Orford, who died 1757 and is believed to have been born around 1670.  The ONLY John that we have recorded as related to our male line through Charles was not born until 1797, and he spent most of his life in the West Indies and as far as we know died childless.  He was one of Thomas(=Alice)’s brothers.   
Any relationship to your John & Sarah that might possibly exist is likely to have been through Charles’s cousin Robert whose family were a noticeable presence in the Orford Area during the XVIII century, farming at Iken Hall and then Chillesford; however, no John is mentioned. Robert had a son and grandson both called William, and the latter had a son Robert, who is stated as being the last of that male line, dying childless in the early 1800s (date un-cipherable). My family through Charles and Robert’s family were close, standing godfather to children etc., and there should therefore have been good knowledge of any other males, including a John.
 However, do not assume that Robert’s line is the only possibility from which your John emerged.   The chronicler of our family archive wrote in 1840: “There is a reduced family at Ipswich, from Norfolk, but in no degree connected with us. It is solely in the Huntley - Orford family that I am interested, and of that family the only males alive within my knowledge are myself, three brothers and six sons of two of them” (he is assuming that by then Robert’s family had died out). This said, there is the clear documentary evidence of other Bradys in poor circumstances and our family chronicler must have been aware of them in a small town like Orford. 
Then there is the question of the John Brady who was born in Orford in 1652 and still around in 1699. Was he a progenitor of Charles and/or Robert; did he head a third line  Registry records in Orford and surrounds seem to have been very badly kept...a point already recognised by our chronicler and referred to back in 1840! Note, please, that very little of the above is currently backed up by independent records.
Mike
HOLLINSHED, BRADY of Orford, Suffolk, Essex, Woolley, Stockport & London; THURSTON, SYER, CRABBE, ALLDIS, RIPPER, BATTALAY, BATELL. CHANDLER of Suffolk; PARR, &LAKE & LONG, Essex; WIKE, of Bury, London & Canterbury; OPENSHAW, ORMEROD of Bury, Lancs; BROTHERSON of St. Croix; MANGNALL & CUNLIFFE of Stockport; BEECH of Broughton; BARNETT, INGRAM of Lincs & Cambs; BRODIE/BRADY  North East Scotland; PAGE, GRAY, McKENZIE, McDOWELL, HOLT & MARTIN N.Ireland