Author Topic: Eyemouth Fishing Disaster  (Read 14266 times)

Offline bruce1746

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Eyemouth Fishing Disaster
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 December 12 18:21 GMT (UK) »
family name Fisher - I believe Thomas was on board the Guiding Star reg in Eyemouth.  He would have left a family behind.

Hi Elizabethh,
  my Gt-Gt-Gt Grandfather William Maltman was also lost aboard the 'Guiding Star'

GUIDING STAR, Eyemouth
all on board lost:
Henry Dougal 38 left widow and children George, Alexander, Margaret, Mary-Ann and Henry
John Dougal 28 brother of above, left widow Jessie Purves (her father was James Purves lost on the Myrtle), daughter Jessie Hood Dougal b. 9 Nov 1881
William Maltman 35 left widow, daughter Johnsena b. 25 Jul 1882 other children Janet, David and Magiie
George Dougal 25 left widow and children Jane and Mary
Thomas Fisher 30 left widow, daughter Thomasina b. 16 Dec 1881, children William, Alice, Janet, Elizabeth and Ann
James Dougal 24 or 30 newly married or single (newspaper says one thing, Aitchison's book says the other
George Whillis 39 left widow and children Josephn & John

Offline Karen Botting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi I just came across this whilst researching for my daughter's homework. My gr, gr Grandad was Thomas Fisher. My gr grandmother Thomasina and my grandmother Alice Gillie.

Offline elizabethh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
Good Evening Karen, Ca you go back further up Thomas's tree; if you would like further dtails please let me know - we appear to be of the same family.   Elizabeth.

Offline Karen Botting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 00:30 BST (UK) »
Bruce 1746 are you related to an Agnes Maltman? Herring Queen in 1955?

Offline Karen Botting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 00:34 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth how exciting and yes please. Sadly my main source of family info died last week. James Gillie my Grandmother Alice's younger brother. He too was a fishermen from Eyemouth.

Regards Karen

Offline bruce1746

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 05:28 BST (UK) »

Hi Karen, I couldn't tell you if I'm related to Agnes to be honest. My G-G-Grandfather William Maltman (his father drowned on the 'Guiding Star') moved from Eyemouth to Fraserburgh somtime at the end 1800's, there is possibly a connection with Agnes somewhere down the line.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 13:25 BST (UK) »
I read about the disaster in the following:

An Old-time Fishing Town - Eyemouth its history romance and tragedy with an account of the East Coast Fishing Disaster, Rev. Daniel McIver; Greenock 1906.

It was reprinted in 1981.

Its been a while since I read it so I can't say for certain but I think the author might have witnessed the aftermath. He certainly described it in some detail.

S_L

Offline n751cas

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 September 14 14:49 BST (UK) »

Hi Karen, I couldn't tell you if I'm related to Agnes to be honest. My G-G-Grandfather William Maltman (his father drowned on the 'Guiding Star') moved from Eyemouth to Fraserburgh somtime at the end 1800's, there is possibly a connection with Agnes somewhere down the line.

Hi Bruce

Seems like we have a family history. William Maltmans my Great Grandfather also. My dads named after him.

Alan.