Author Topic: CLIFFORDS of Londonderry  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Tassie T

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CLIFFORDS of Londonderry
« on: Sunday 23 September 12 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to Rootschat and am seeking help to find more information about the Clifford family who migrated to Tasmania in 1853. Daniel, his wife Jane and their children Ellen Jane and James sailed to Hobart on the "Northumberland".  Their two older sons William and Samuel had earlier sailed to Hobart on the "Windemere" in 1848.  William became a sea captain in New Zealand and Samuel a well known photographer in Hobart.  I believe that Daniel and Jane also had a son Alexander and a daughter Margaret who travelled to Port Adelaide on the "Constance" in 1850.  I have found a birth record for a son Alex Clifford to a Daniel Clifford at Kilrea and the age fits.  All of the Cliffords above list their native place as Londonderry.  I am specifically seeking information that confirms Margaret Clifford as the daughter of Daniel and Jane Clifford.  I have exhausted every possible avenue in Australia to confirm this although there is considerable evidence that points to Margaret being their daughter.  I would greatly appreciate any help.  I must add that Margaret was born in 1835.  Daniel Clifford was a member of the Irish Constabulary also.  Thanks

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: CLIFFORDS of Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 September 12 15:35 BST (UK) »
Samuel (25 Nov 1827) and Alexander (4 Jan 1831) are the only two children of Daniel and Jane Clifford baptised in Kilrea Church of Ireland - no sign of William, Ellen Jane or Margaret, I'm afraid.  There is a bit of a gap in the records with only three baptisms listed from 1814 to 1826  (compared with 36 in 1827 alone) so older children could have been missed.  Also Samuel's baptism lists Daniel's occupation as "Revenue Police", while in Alex's entry his occupation is "Constabulary Police" (i.e. RIC).

Around 1835-37 entries are sketchy in the church records - probably due to the ill heath of the Rector Rev Waddy who died in 1838 in office at the age of 74.

As a policeman Daniel could well have moved around a lot ( I see a Constable Kennedy occupied the Police Station by 1839) so worth checking elsewhere too.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 September 12 20:34 BST (UK) »
The Revenue Police were merged into the RIC at some time in the 1800s. Not sure of the dates but that could account for the two different occupations. The PSNI museum in Belfast should be able to help with details of his RIC career.

http://www.psni.police.uk/index/about-us/police_museum/museum_genealogy.htm
Elwyn

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 September 12 04:54 BST (UK) »

Was the mother's maiden name Downy? A Margaret Clifford, daughter of Daniel Clifford and Jane Downy was baptised in Derry in 1833. Other children baptised to the couple include Eleanor Jane in 1838, James in 1840, and David Henry in 1842.

Offline Tassie T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 September 12 06:53 BST (UK) »
Hi and thank you for the replies to my post.  I can see a pattern based on the ages of Daniel and Janes children.  Samuel and Alexander were the first two born, although a death notice I have indicates that there may have been a child before Samuel.  Margaret was born in 1835, Ellen Jane in 1836 and James in 1839.  akanex2, your suggestion that Daniel could have moved around with his work is very likely and the latter three were probably born and baptised elsewhere.  Elwyn, thanks for the link to the Police Museum.  I will order Daniels records and find out where he was and go from there.  Thank you for your reply gaffy. Daniels wife was definitely Jane McGee and Margaret was born in 1835 so that counts that family out.  Thanks for your time.

Offline appymum

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 December 15 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Very interested to read info on Cliffords.  Particular William the sea captain, as he is my gg grandfather. His son Thomas Reid Clifford was my grand mother's farther. Ethel Clifford (prosser)  found him in nz but couldn't get him further back.  Be grateful for any further info.  Regards, Janet

Offline nanabunny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 22:59 BST (UK) »
Reply to Janet re William Clifford -Clifford's of Lodonderry. I also am descended from William in NZ and have lots of info re him.
His youngest daughter Lily was my grandmother. I have not yet located a church birth entry for William, c 1827 in Ireland. Regards Barbara