Author Topic: Chivers factory Montrose (1920s-1940s)  (Read 5467 times)

Offline Rachie83

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chivers factory Montrose (1920s-1940s)
« on: Sunday 23 September 12 16:10 BST (UK) »
I Am trying to find photos / stories of workers in the Chivers Factory especially around 1925-1935

I have got a photo taken of some of the staff, and would love to find someone with the full version or other versions of it.
its my great grandmother Annie Crowe she is bottom 2nd from the left.

I don't know who any of the others are in the photo so that would be lovely to find out if they were her friends. and if there is any other photos.

I also had my grandma and great aunty work there in the 1940s during WW2 so any info or history pics etc on then would be great.

Ive not found much yet on the montrose factory just on the business as a whole.

thanks
xxx

Crowe/Craw - Montrose Scotland
Lattimer/Latimer - Cumberland & Northumberland
Haworth - Macclesfield, Cheshire
Drake/ Smith/ Apperley - Gloucestershire/Bristol

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chivers factory Montrose (1920s-1940s)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 September 12 16:45 BST (UK) »
Just found some references in the National Register of Archives. The company archives are at Cambridgeshire Archives. I've copied the search results below:

Scope   1901-73: corporate and share records, minutes, plans, recipes, analyses, staff records, publicity and other printed papers
Repository   Cambridgeshire Archives
Record Reference   R86/11,41,44; R87/41
NRA catalogue reference   NRA 36572 Chivers

Scope   19th cent-20th cent: papers
Record Reference   R104/038
Other reference   see Annual Return 2004

Scope   c1890-1970: records, incl index of employees, publications and photographs
Record Reference   R110/009
Other reference   see Annual Return 2010
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Jan Saunders

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chivers factory Montrose (1920s-1940s)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 November 14 05:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my Grandad was the General Manager of Chivers Factory at Montrose from 1925 until he retired in 1962.  His name was James Anderson, and I have several newspapers clippings about his retirement, but not a lot of information about other workers.

If you are on Facebook, it might be worth you joining the Montrose Memories group, as they have had discussions about Chivers and someone there might be able to give you some more information.

This is my first time on RootsChat, so I'll see if I can add the newspaper clippings as they do give some general information about Chivers in Montrose!  Well I can't get the attachments to work, I'll try again later!!

There's also a very interesting Flickr group with lots of photos!

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1763067@N20/pool/67722122@N03/

Cheers, Jan.