Author Topic: Lynch / Babbington  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Terese

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lynch / Babbington
« on: Monday 24 September 12 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi to everyone
I am trying to find information on my Lynch and Babbington families.
My g-g-g-grandfather was David Lynch born 16 April 1794 Dublin.
He was in the 2nd/83rd Regiment of the Foot between 1809 and 1814.
He married Eleanor Frances Babbington about 1821. Place and date unknown.
They had 7 children between 1821- 1835 all born in Leeds, Yorkshire.
They moved to Manchester around 1837 and David died there in Feb 1871.
If they used traditional naming patterns Davids parents maybe David and Elizabeth.
He was Catholic.

Eleanor Frances Babbington ( There are usually 2 "b"'s recorded thus far ) was born 1798 Dublin. She died in1874 Manchester.
If they used traditional naming patterns her parents maybe Ellenor and Patrick.
The above details come from their very descriptive headstones. They both gave their country of birth as Ireland in all census
I would love to know ANYTHING at all about David and Eleanors Irish families.

Many thanks
Terese
Australia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Lynch / Babbington
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 September 12 11:31 BST (UK) »
If your Lynch and Babbington families came from Dublin City then you could try the parish records on www.irishgenealogy.ie (the website doesn't contain many records for county Dublin)

I had a quick look for a possible baptism or marriage for Eleanor but didn't see any likely matches - see : Babbington baptisms - Dublin City

Most seem to be Church of Ireland.

From places of birth of the children I'd say the marriage may have been in Leeds....

see :  Introduction to Irish Records
         My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Lfred

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 17 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Terese,

I came across your post by chance. It seems that we have some common ancestors and we are looking for the same elements about David Lynch, married to Eleanore Frances Babbington :-)! I live in New Caledonia and I am a descendant of Thomas Babbington Lynch, emigrated from Australia to New Caledonia towards the end of the 19th century. As you probably know, Thomas was born in Leeds where he married to Rachel Jonhson. Then they emigrate to Australia and then to New Caledonia (They were a part of what we call that the PADDON settlers). You are certainly a descendent of his elder brother David George Lynch, born in 1821! Part of my family is involved in genealogical research on our Lynch ancestors. But we do not have many elements and especially not many photographs. We know that your ancestor David George married Maria Riley, then Mary Dunfey (Larrisy?), Then Catherine Cass. Which branch are you from? We would like to get in touch with you and exchange, but maybe through private messages. I am new to this site and I do not know yet how to operate. In any case we are delighted to have found someone from what we call the Australian branch of the Lynches. As you are more advanced in the use of the site, thank you for guiding us so that we can get in touch outside public messages, otherwise by email! We hope you are interested in the Lynch branch of New Caledonia, but maybe you know more than us about it  ;). In the hope of reading you soon! Thank you in advance.

Louis Frederic

Offline Terese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Louis
I am so very pleased to have your response.
I am descended from David George Lynch and his first wife Maria Riley.
My great grandfather was their only child David James Lynch.
Its incredibly exciting to find another cousin.
My personal email address is
(*)

I am living in the Hunter Valley in NSW Australia

Looking forward to talking at depth
Terese McGrath

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php