Author Topic: Coldingham one-place study  (Read 5210 times)

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
Coldingham one-place study
« on: Monday 24 September 12 15:57 BST (UK) »
I am running a Coldingham one-place study, with a particular interest in the pre-1820 period. For a full description of the study, and the resources available so far, see

http://www.vivdunstan.co.uk/coldingham-ops.html

This one-place study research comes out of my genealogy research. I have strong family connections with Coldingham before 1820, going back hundreds of years.

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Coldingham one-place study
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Viv,
I have just looked at the Coldingham One-Place study. What a great resource and what a lot of work you have put into it. Haven't found anyone relevant to me yet but I have now signed up to be notified when your blog is updated.
Thanks for making this available online. I bought your mortcloth index years ago and must have another look at it now that I have researched a little further back.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rae,

Thanks for the lovely comments :D The project is ongoing, so more information will be added to the online resources over time. For example I currently have a number of 18th century tax lists that I'm in the process of transcribing, and will be putting the results online.

Any additions will have an article about them in the blog, so, yes, signing up to the blog for new posts there is the best way to find out about changes.

Thanks again.

Viv

Offline squirejay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 May 13 13:50 BST (UK) »
I have at least two families in and around Coldingham, HOPPER or HAPPER and GIBSON
I have some details of Hoppers from 1690 (one) and the early part of the 18th century, with the Gibsons about 100 years later. Sorry cannot access your direct email through your website, don't do social media!
will look out others in the near future if of interest
regards
JB
GIBSON- Berwickshire(Coldingham, Edrom) & Northumberland(Berwick-upon-Tweed & Morpeth)
NAPIER in Edinburgh from 1700
ROBSON- Roxburgh(Kelso, Hawick & Jedburgh):~
DODS or DODDS Hawick, Kelso)
ELDERS (Hawick/Borders)
HOPPER- (Greenlaw and area)
KENNEDY- (Roxburghshire, Lillesleaf)
BLACK (Lanarkshire before 1861, Edinburgh after 1861 census )

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 May 13 14:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry cannot access your direct email through your website, don't do social media!

Ok I'll paste it in here. It's (*)

I get enough spam already everywhere else that I don't mind posting it on a forum ;D

Please feel free to email me. I'd be happy, for example, to look up your surnames in my mortcloth index.

Moderator Comment: Please use the Personal Message service (PMs) for the exchange of personal details such as emails etc. Thank you.

Offline Frank on Thetis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 May 13 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for posting the access link to your Coldingham one-place study.  My 3x grt grandparents were married in Coldingham in 1832 after an irregular marriage at Lamberton Toll in 1831.  My 4x grt grandfather was shown as a shepherd at Brockholes on that wedding certificate.  Your Index of Witnesses shows 3 possible relatives of mine.  Is this information on a CD and is it possible to purchase from you the complete record of what the people in your Index were witness to?  My wife also has found many references to her Coldingham relatives from your Index.

Thank you.

Frank English, Canada
Redpath, Berwickshire & Northumberland
Grieve, Northumberland
Colston, Scotland & Ireland

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 May 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
Your Index of Witnesses shows 3 possible relatives of mine.  Is this information on a CD and is it possible to purchase from you the complete record of what the people in your Index were witness to?

No the information is not on CD and I have no plans to publish it in that form. If you email me (if you can't find my email address on the Coldingham OPS website send me a private message here) I am happy to check my database and give you more details of the baptisms they witnessed. There is no charge for this check. I am happy to do it for free, if you ask for specific witnesses to be checked.

Alternatively the dates given can be used to trace the baptisms in the microfilm copy of the Coldingham parish registers which is available worldwide in LDS family history centres.

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 April 17 12:20 BST (UK) »
I’ve had a hand-coded HTML site for my one-place studies for years, but it has become rather unwieldy in terms of structure and organisation, and it’s not the easiest thing for people to read.

So I’ve now switched to a WordPress-based site, which will have a much more structured approach to the resources that I put online. I am also hoping it will encourage me to add more!

The new site also incorporates the accompanying blog. All the previous blog entries have been imported.

There are redirection pages in place from the old website and the old blog.

But please find the new website at

https://coldinghamoneplacestudy.org/

Many thanks.

Viv