Author Topic: India 1861 Census completed  (Read 2507 times)

Offline juiceanca

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
India 1861 Census completed
« on: Monday 24 September 12 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hello
Not sure where to post this hope its ok here.
Im looking for a Peter Campbell B.1828 Lanarkshire,Scotland who was in the Sherwood Foresters 95th Regiment .
He was serving in Poona,India around 1861 as he had a son born 27th Dec 1861 Poona,India.
Im Sure the Military would of taken a Census ???
I have him on every other Census in scotland and England but would not know where to look for this Census.

Thanks julian
Campbell - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Mcdonald - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Porter      - Staffordshire,England
Sargeant - Staffordshire,England

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: India 1861 Census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Julian,

This is a copy of a reply I gave to someone else who was looking for the Indian Census -

"I don't think the India census will give you a great deal of info as, unlike the UK census, it's more of a headcount than anything else. It basically counts the number of people in an area, sub-divides into Male and Female, then sub-divides again into Literate and Illiterate. There are also figures for different religions - Hindu, Moslem, etc
You can see an example of the 1901 census here :-

http://archive.org/stream/censusindia04rislgoog#page/n21/mode/2up

Alternatively, contact the Ministry of Home Affairs in India here :-
http://www.censusindia.gov.in/Census_Data_2001/India_at_glance/rural.aspx  "

Whether the army did their own, I wouldn't know, but I would imagine they would have just had muster rolls rather than a census.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 01:09 BST (UK) »
hi, i dont  believe there was a military census for 1861,,or any other year,,,the army 1861 worldwide index just states

First Name(s):Peter
Last Name:Campbell
Number:207
Unit:95th Foot (Derbyshire)
Regiment Stationed at:Poona East Indies
National Archives reference:WO12 / 9560

what is it you are trying to find out about Peter?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 01:40 BST (UK) »
According to his service record ,,he was b 1833 in Glasgow,,,a cotton spinner by trade,,he enlisted into the 51st foot in 1858 in Manchester,,but was quickly transferred to the the 95th.He served for 15 years from 1858 -1873,,with 12 years service in India.On discharge in Manchester in 1873 he was 5ft 5",dark complexion,slightly grey hair (it was black when he joined up) and had hazel eyes.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline juiceanca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 06:45 BST (UK) »
Thankyou
Both Tony and Gortonboy.
I was just trying to find extra info about peter Campbell in 1861 but as you say it would not list much anyway.
Thanks for the extra military infomation.

julian
Campbell - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Mcdonald - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Porter      - Staffordshire,England
Sargeant - Staffordshire,England

Offline mikecharles49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: India 1861 Census completed
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 July 17 17:43 BST (UK) »
Just noticed these posts. By coincidence, my grt grandfather's number was the next in sequence, ie 208.   William Charles b 1840 also enlisted at Manchester, Ashton under Lyne, on 15/2/1868, also into the 51st & then the 95th.  I assume they must have met!   He was also small at 5ft 5 ins and had grown one inch by discharge in 1877.   He was actually 17 at enlistment instead of the 18 shown in his army record.  I don't know when he sailed, but must have been towards the end of the Indian Mutiny & his first medical entry is April 1859 at Neemuch.  He is in the Hull Daily Mail in 1912 wearing his newly awarded IM Medal without clasp, and a photo in 1914 at a veterans' dinner wearing it; yet his army record War Office note shows that he was awarded the Medal 3/12/1917.  Strange !