Author Topic: Godson Families of Cork  (Read 4368 times)

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Godson Families of Cork
« on: Tuesday 25 September 12 02:09 BST (UK) »
  I am searching for any other family members of Nathaniel Godson who was born in 1795  and worked as a Coppersmith on or near the water docks . He married a woman named Mary Ann , and moved to Whitechapel England  where he died in 1840             Thank you Melanie

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Godson Families of Cork
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 22:40 BST (UK) »
What denomination was Nathanial?  Very difficult to trace records for the period of late 1700's as it is well before civil reg in Ireland

There is quiet a lot of info on this family going forward especially about his son John born in Cork.
Nathanials wife was Mary Anne Hill.
Let me know if you require any info on son John Godson. Regards

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 September 12 02:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you , I am not sure of Nathaniels denomination  ?  I am looking into that right now .  Thank you for the last name of Mary Ann , no one knew of that before, and yes there is a mountain of knowledge going forward  with our  family  , I have it all documented  , it was this grey area of the past that had me stuck .                           Take care Melanie

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Godson of Cork
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 December 12 01:52 GMT (UK) »
   If any one can help find anything regarding Nathaniel Godson born abt 1795 Cork Ireland   He was a Coppersmith by trade , I have been searching for his birth , parents , marriage to a Mary Ann , .  All I have is that he and the wife moved to England around 1823 , where his daughter was married , and then the family lived in Whitechaple , where he died  1840 .  I realize records are difficult to find in Ireland , but even a little hint will be appreciated .

Thank you  Melanie

Moderator Note : Duplicate Topic merged

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Godson of Cork
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 December 12 11:46 GMT (UK) »
You need a more specific location to search for records e.g. the town, townland or parish, especially as early as this. Very few areas have records before the early 1800s and Cork is the largest county in Ireland with well over 100 parishes. You also need to know what denomination (e.g. Catholic, Church of Ireland, Presbyterian etc) your Godson family were so you can search for the correct type of records.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 06:13 GMT (UK) »
   I believe Nathaniel was following the Church of England ,   Being a Coppersmith  I think he was living near the seaport of the City of Cork  somewhere . I have everything about my Godson ancestors going forward ,but it is the history  from Ireland I am  fascinated about

Happy New Year ,    Melanie

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 April 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
What denomination was Nathanial?  Very difficult to trace records for the period of late 1700's as it is well before civil reg in Ireland

There is quiet a lot of info on this family going forward especially about his son John born in Cork.
Nathanials wife was Mary Anne Hill.
Let me know if you require any info on son John Godson. Regards
[/q   

Hello  Balldw

I wondered if you can help point  me in the right direction to finding a document with Mary Ann Hills name on it linking her to Nathaneil Godson ??  I am having no luck here in Canada

Thank you  Melanie

Offline melsimba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 February 18 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Many Years of endless searches ...and I still have  no leads on Where  Mary Ann Hill (Godson)    began in Cork , Ireland ......This is a brick wall I need some assistance with ......
                                                                                       Many thanx

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 February 18 15:32 GMT (UK) »
his death is mention on family search

http://www.familysearch.org