Author Topic: Hedley / Headly Surname in Newtownards  (Read 8143 times)

Offline PRich

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hedley / Headly Surname in Newtownards
« on: Tuesday 25 September 12 15:42 BST (UK) »
I am eager to find the maiden name of 'Isabella Hedly' who was listed in the 1841 census of Newtownards as being a widow of Mill Street (the entry has survived thanks to the Old Age Pension claims).  Isabella and her late husband 'Allen Hedly' had several children born in Newtownards between 1820-1836 and I am hoping that someone may perhaps have come across a baptismal entry in one of the local churches for this couple which might give her maiden name.  After her husband's death in the mid-1830s she seems to have had two illegitimate children called James Brown and Kyle Brown.  Again, if a baptismal record for these two boys survives it might hopefully mention what Isabella's maiden name was.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hedley / Headly Surname in Newtownards
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I take it that you have seen this family mentioned on the Ros Davies site

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/H/HeaHen.htm

Isabella it says was a widow on the 1841 census and you say that Allan died in the mid 1830's but you might need to check that as she is listed with a one month old child with the name Mary Headley ???

What ages are the Brown children - are you sure they are not from a previous marriage of her's ?

I can't see any marriage's back this far and if she was COI her maiden name is most likely not on her children's baptisms.

Tara

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 06:37 BST (UK) »

A Kyle Headley born 1843 married Ann Jane Robinson in Newtownards in 1865, the stated father for him was Allan Headley - just to be aware that there are potentially two people called Allan/Allen Headley/Hedley on the go.

Offline PRich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks both,

Tara, the original 1841 census record shows that Mary was actually one month old when she died in 1836 (she wasn't alive at the time of the census).  The seven Hedley children ranged in age from 5 to 17 in 1841 and Isabella stated that she had married Allen Hedley in 1821 (almost certainly in/around Newtownards).

Gaffy, it seems that Kyle 'Hedley' was, in fact, not a Hedley at all!  The 1841 census shows him as 'Kyle Brown', aged 6 months, living with his mother Isabella Hedley and the others, so I believe he was probably Isabella's illegitimate son.  In later life he seems to have understandably adopted the Hedley surname and, for ease, claimed that his own father was Allen Hedley.  Kyle also had a 2-year-old full? brother called James Brown living in the Hedley household in 1841.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that at least one useful baptismal record for the Hedleys/Browns might survive in the Newtownards records but, as you say Tara, the records may not necessarily mention the mother's maiden name...

Offline francie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
I've only just signed up for this site and found you message about allan hedley.
His wife, Isabella Brown, was born in 1803 and when Allan died in 1836 she had
2 illigitimate sons James and Kyle Brown who later took the Hedley surname.

Kyle had a son Allan Hedley who married my great aunt Maggie Menagh in Newtownards
in 1908.
Kyle had married Ann Jane Robinson(widow, b.1828) in Newtownards.
Ann was too old to be the mother of Kyle's 3 children 1880, 1882 and 1884.
However an Ireland census shows Kyle's wife as Margaret who was able to have been the
mother of his 3 children. So it looks as though Kyle was having a family with Margaret while
his legal wife, Ann Jane was still living, I think she died in 1898.
Allan went Canada in 1913 and was joined sometime later by his wife Maggie and Children.
In the 1921 Canada census they are in Toronto with Allan living as Alex and Maggie as Mary.
Their three children Allan, James and Isabella have retained their christian names and ages
with two more, Margaret born in Ireland(1919) and an Edith born in Ontario(1920 or 1921).
Margaret and Edith disappear later and Allan/Alex and Maggie/Mary are in Toronto until
Allen/Alex dies in 1953 where Mary becomes Maggie again, WIDOW OF ALEX.
In 1954 and 1955 they have all disappeared from the Toronto records.

Some family ?    I'm still looking for them because I might have some 2nd cousins but I'm not
hopeful, unless you might be one ? 

Offline Muskokadave

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 January 15 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Francie

I am David Langford son of Margaret Langford (nee Hedley)
grandson of Allan Hedley of Toronto.

Thank you for your post.  It was really cool to see my Mom's name.

I have lots of names, contacts, information about the Hedleys in Toronto.

Please contact me and let me know your connection.

Offline francie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 January 15 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello David, you have no idea how long I have been chasing Hedleys. If you are connected to me it will just have made my day. My grandfather John Menagh(1880-1960) has a sister Maggie Menagh(1884) who married Allan Hedley in Newtownards in 1908.They had 3 children Allen(1908) James(1909) Isabella(1912) and possibly Margaret(1919) and Edith(1920). I'm not convinced about Margaret and Edith. So Maggie Menagh Hedley would have been my great aunt. I have lots of information on the Menagh family and also on the Newtownards Hedleys. Allan Hedleys father was Kyle Hedley(1838-1916), Allan also had two sisters Sarah(1880-1962) and Isabella(1882), Allan was born in (1884).
If after this reply you sill think we are talking about the same people please contact me at
(*)
I have photos of Maggie Menagh Hedley and her children.

Regards
Francie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 January 15 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello David, you have no idea how long I have been chasing Hedleys. If you are connected to me it will just have made my day. My grandfather John Menagh(1880-1960) has a sister Maggie Menagh(1884) who married Allan Hedley in Newtownards in 1908.They had 3 children Allen(1908) James(1909) Isabella(1912) and possibly Margaret(1919) and Edith(1920). I'm not convinced about Margaret and Edith. So Maggie Menagh Hedley would have been my great aunt. I have lots of information on the Menagh family and also on the Newtownards Hedleys. Allan Hedleys father was Kyle Hedley(1838-1916), Allan also had two sisters Sarah(1880-1962) and Isabella(1882), Allan was born in (1884).
If after this reply you sill think we are talking about the same people please contact me at
email removed
I have photos of Maggie Menagh Hedley and her children.

Regards
Francie     
Do not post personal emails. Use Personal message

Offline C.Hedley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 March 15 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys I am related to John Hedley 1828  brother of Kyle and my ggg grandfather.
He became an owner of a linen mill in Thomas st Newtownards and he had a son who I have been unable to find but his son Allan (john's grandson) took over the business. Alan had a son named (you guessed it ) Alan who had 2 sons, my father George  and Stanley. In 1958 Alan migrated to New Zealand. If you would like to know more please let me know.