Author Topic: Hedley / Headly Surname in Newtownards  (Read 8148 times)

Offline francie1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hedley / Headly Surname in Newtownards
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 March 15 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I assume that your ggg grandfather John Hedley(1828) was in fact Kyle's half brother ?
If you have any photos of Kyle or his descendents I would be extremely interested.
I did notice a Stanley Hedley going to NZ while I was researching but he was a descendent of a different Allan. I do appreciate your interest though !

Regards
Francie

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 March 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
Those are all great replies, an unmentioned historical document might exist.
The tithe applotment records for Newtownards were done about 1833, only the townlands of Ballyskeaugh and : Little Ballyskeaugh are online at http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/newtownards-parish.php#.VRkpJ0uDoYU    There are no Brown or Hedley.

Does anyone know if the other townland listings exist in the Tithe Applotment Records collection at PRONI , I have extended the townlands to include some place names etc, just in case
Ballyalicock
Ballyalton
Ballybarnes
Ballyblack
Ballycullen
Ballyhaft
Ballyharry
Ballyhenny
Ballymagreehan
Ballymoney
Ballyreagh
Ballyrogan
Ballyskeagh High
Ballyskeagh Low
Ballywatticock
Bootown
Commons
Corporation North
Corporation South
Craigogantlet
Cronstown
Crossnamuckley
Cunningburn
Drumawhy
Drumhirk
Greengraves
Gregstown
Killarn
Loughriscouse
Milecross
Movilla
Newtown Ards town
Newtown Ards town
Tullynagardy
Whitespots
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline scraboman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 April 16 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi guys I am related to John Hedley 1828  brother of Kyle and my ggg grandfather.
He became an owner of a linen mill in Thomas st Newtownards and he had a son who I have been unable to find but his son Allan (john's grandson) took over the business. Alan had a son named (you guessed it ) Alan who had 2 sons, my father George  and Stanley. In 1958 Alan migrated to New Zealand. If you would like to know more please let me know.

Hi I am Peter Hedley with family from Newtownards and have been trying to make sense of all the Hedleys in Newtownards (and connect them) for about 30 years. With little success unfortunately. Along the way various families have built up.
I have your Hedleys coming down from a John Hedley born in 1833 and married in 1859 to Annabella Finlay. Known children to me are James  1867-70, Jane b.1871 and Allen 1875-1917. This John was a Weaver from Thomas Street at marriage in 1859 and still a Cotton Weaver age 74 in 1901 and still in Thomas Street. Thomas Street had many Weavers houses.

I have the John Hedley born 1827/8 joining the Army at 19 with his brother Allen and going to Canada after the Crimea with the Army and staying there.

This could all be wrong. How good is your info?

Offline davey.h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 21:09 BST (UK) »
pete the john hedley who married anabella finley was William (at least according to the marriage certificate)  I think it is likely to be William and susan perry also think it is the one who married Ellen cowan                             davey

John Hedley

mentioned in the record of John Hedley and Anna Finlay

Name     John Hedley     
 Birth Date     1833     
 Age     26     
 Spouse's Name    Anna Finlay     
 Spouse's Birth Date     1834     
 Spouse's Age     25     
 Event Date     06 Sep 1859     
 Event Place     Newtownards, Down, Ireland     
 Father's Name    William Hedley     
 Spouse's Father's Name    Robert Finlay     
 Marital Status     Widowed     
 Spouse's Marital Status     Single   
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Ajohn%7E%20%2Bsurname%3Ahedley%7E%20%2Bbirth_place%3Aireland%7E&collection_id=1584964

Offline scraboman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 22:07 BST (UK) »
Aye Davey that's my belief too both Johns were Weavers and sons of William (farmer) and yes it is probably the William who was married to Susan Perry but who knows. John Hedley and Ellen Cowan were married St Marks Ards 24 April 1854. Witnesses William Anderson and James Galbraith. John was resident of North Street then.

Offline scraboman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 22:31 BST (UK) »
I am eager to find the maiden name of 'Isabella Hedly' who was listed in the 1841 census of Newtownards as being a widow of Mill Street (the entry has survived thanks to the Old Age Pension claims).  Isabella and her late husband 'Allen Hedly' had several children born in Newtownards between 1820-1836 and I am hoping that someone may perhaps have come across a baptismal entry in one of the local churches for this couple which might give her maiden name.  After her husband's death in the mid-1830s she seems to have had two illegitimate children called James Brown and Kyle Brown.  Again, if a baptismal record for these two boys survives it might hopefully mention what Isabella's maiden name was.

Jane Hedley was baptised 30 June 1823 in St Mary's Parish Church Comber, parents Allen Hedley and Isabella Browne, no address or date of birth recorded. Allen's likely brother Henry lived at Ballyloughan outside Comber on the lower slopes of Scrabo. Kyle and James Brown were born after Allen Hedley died about 1836 but must have been raised as Hedley like her other children. They probably never knew.