Author Topic: Thirwell House |Locharbriggs  (Read 3054 times)

Offline taghairm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thirwell House |Locharbriggs
« on: Wednesday 26 September 12 20:54 BST (UK) »
Trying to find out some history of Thirwell House Locharbriggs. in 1917 my mother and her brother and sister were taken from my
 grandmother who abandoned them. They were initially placed in either the poorhouse or the workhouse but i think it was the former after which they were looked after at Thirwell House by a woman referred to as "Aunt Jen".I have no other information re her. I know there were other children in the house. I wondered if she was taking in children as per a system in operation at that time but can find out nothing more other than Thirwell was not registered in any way i can find. They were taken initially by the SSPCC and placed in the poorhouse. i cannot think they would move them again without things being above board. I have contacted SSPCC but they can throw no light on Thirwell. The last records they have is when they were in the poorhouse. i still have to check in Dumfries to see if D&G Council have any records of inmates and what happened to them.Anyone heard of Aunt Jen?

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: Thirwell House |Locharbriggs
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 16:02 BST (UK) »

There is a Thirlwell House at Quarry Road, Locharbriggs. Whether it is the same as you mentioned, I don't know. I live near Quarry Road and, will see if I can get any information for you.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 October 12 19:12 BST (UK) »

Thirlwell House still exists but, has been made into two houses.

I have still a couple of people to see, who may or may not be able to help with the history or have some information. Also, will go to the library to see if they have Electoral Rolls  for 1917.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 October 12 19:00 BST (UK) »

I  spoke to a chap today regarding Thirlwell House.

His Grandmother lived in Thirlwell House and died there in 1929. His Grandmother was Kathleen Wilson and is on the 1929 Valuation Roll, with this Janet(Jen) Currie

He remembers someone called Jen Currie (he thought perhaps short for Janet) who lived there but, can't remember much else about her. Looked at the Valuation Rolls and there is Janet Currie living in a house 1917/18 and still there in 1929. Valuation Rolls don't seem to have house names and back then, Locharbriggs was just a village.

Also back then I understand people took in people that needed somewhere to live, which could be the case with your mother and family.

Sorry I haven't been more help.

cupcake

Offline taghairm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cupcake, yes i agree, there were people who took children in and she may have been one of them. i will try and find her death certificate and follow it up.
thanks again
Roy

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 October 12 10:41 BST (UK) »

Hello Roy,

Perhaps your mother's birth certificate would give where she was born or an idea of the area and, may help to piece together things.

cupcake

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cupcake,

Roy and I are related, he does already have his mother birth certificate

Patrish  :)
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 13:38 GMT (UK) »

Hi Patrish,

That's good. Do hope he finds the answers and information he is looking for.

cupcake

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 14:42 GMT (UK) »
We are still struggling on, hoping eventually to make some headway.

I have noted down from the index's some possible deaths of Janet Currie's in Dumfriess.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley