Author Topic: Wray/Kincaid- Taughboyne, Donegal  (Read 16593 times)

Offline fambuff2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wray/Kincaid- Taughboyne, Donegal
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 December 12 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If I remember right it was the name of the spouse (it wasn't Rebecca). As far as I'm aware from what family members do remember from their dad (Joseph's and Rebecca's son) there was no mention of any other spouses for either Joseph or Rebecca. Of course this may be incorrect, but I'm fairly certain they would have known, so for the time being I'll do a bit further research to clarify.

Re the information you provided as a possible death for Rebecca, I had a look on familysearch.org to see if there was any further information and it showed an estimated d.o.b. of 1853 for that entry. Rebecca was born around 1862/3 so that would make her 54/55 at 1917. This death relates to someone of 64 so I don't think it relates to my Gt. grandmother, but thank you for the information.

I've recently managed to trace a relative in Ireland that I didn't know I had and we hope between us we can go a wee bit further with this.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 December 12 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Spouses aren't listed on death certificates unless they are the informant- perhaps if you can post the name on Joseph's death certificate as well as exact place it might help track down more records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline fambuff2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 December 12 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Will do. Am collating some information I have received for my mum's side at present, so will get round to it soon.
Tks again

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 January 13 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Just in case this helps someday, there was a Joseph Wray who was a witness to the marriage of David Kinkaid and Margaret Kinkaid of Ballyshannon on 30 July 1855 at the Presbyterian Church in Ballyshannon, Kilbarron Parish, County Donegal.  Margaret's family has links to Donagheady Parish, County Tyrone and the family later ends up in Glasgow.

Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline fambuff2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 11:45 GMT (UK) »
To P.Kincaid.

Thank you so much for the information. I will certainly investigate it when I am back on to my father's side. I had come across a Margaret Kincaid so maybe I have been on the right track. I appreciate your input.

All the best

Offline fambuff2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 January 13 13:59 GMT (UK) »
To P Kincaid

Hi, Can you tell me if you have seen the marriage certificate of David & Margaret. If so can you tell me if Joseph is named on there as a witness or if I should look elsewhere to find that information before I purchase the certificate from Ireland Registry.

Many thanks & all the best.

Offline Carrigans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 17 October 13 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

In a book with the title 'Ballyshannon, Belcoo and Bertincourt (The History of the 11th Battalion The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers)' I came across a couple of paragraphs which describes how Lance Corporal Charles Wray led a raiding party on enemy lines on 15th September 1916. Sadly he was killed on that raid. Have you seen this? If not I can key in the details if you are interested.

Offline fambuff2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 November 13 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carrigans,

Many thanks for your post. I'm sorry for the delay in replying. I would be very interested to read the extract. I have Robert Thompson's book Inishowen Hereos which has some information on this, but I am always interested in more in case there are other facts I've not yet seen. I appreciate your input very much, thank you
All the best

Offline Carrigans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 02 November 13 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi .......  Here is the detail from the book (Pages 80 and 81):

Major Pratt, who had served in the South African war and had been mentioned in Despatches, was soon to be promoted to Lt. Col. He decided to make a raid on the enemy positions. He wanted intelligence to determine if gas was installed in the enemy positions, the name of the enemy unit and the position of the machine guns.

The raid whic was meticously planned was carried out by four raiding parties divided into small groups of men. Each group was led by an NCO. In overall command was 2nd Lt. T Adams. It was very well supported by the Artillery.

These men were all heavily armed with rifles, bayonets and knobkerries. They also carried 10 bombs each and they had scaling ladders, wire cutters, grapnels and amongst other things a dinner bell for signal purposes.

They left their own trenches in the south corner of the Bull Ring to enter the enemy trenches forty five yards east of their own position on the night of September 15th.

As they went over the parapet they heard cheers from a neighbouring trench 'Go on the Inniskillings'. It turned out that the cheers were from the Nationalists in the 'Irish Brigade'  who gave a hearty send off to their Orange brethren from their home county. Theie trenches were on the immediate left of the 11th that particular night.

They crossed their own parapet at quarter to nine with the moon rising behind some cloud. They formed up in a large shell crater twenty five yards from their own trench. Dashing forward they entered the enemy position through an unbelievably convenient gap in the wire.

A sentry challenged them as the leaders were mounting the parapet, fired a couple of shots and missed. Stray bullets from machine gun cross fire in No Mans Land caused two casulaties.

The first group led by L/Cpl Charles Wray from Taughboyne, Co Donegal, went south along the enemy front line. They met tough resistance and retaliated with bomb and bayonet. They killed eight and took one prisoner. A deep dug out was bombed. Sets of equipment were found on the parapet and these were thrown out but could not be recovered later.

L/Cpl Wray having used all his bombs collected German grenades and used them effectively. Sadly he was killed in this raid. He was awarded the MM for his courage on July 1st but the notification was not published until 4th October 1916. He did not live to receive the award.