Author Topic: Re: Convent of the Blessed Sacrament, Tunbridge Wells  (Read 4585 times)

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Convent of the Blessed Sacrament, Tunbridge Wells
« on: Thursday 27 September 12 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am hoping that someone from the Tunbridge Wells might know of the Convent of the Blessed Sacrament and where they would of buried their sisters.  I am completing some family history and would love a photo of the headstone.   I would also like to try and get photos of the sisters if their are any that can be found.

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 September 12 19:29 BST (UK) »
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline Magicmoodle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 February 13 23:35 GMT (UK) »
I do not know where the Sisters were buried in Tunbridge Wells but I do know where the Sisters went after the Convent closed?   I was a student there and am interested to hear if any of your family also attended the Convent?   Thank you

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 March 13 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Some orders of nuns bury their dead in a 'campo santo' in the convent grounds, and dont have headstones for the sisters; their graves remain unmarked.
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 March 14 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Thank you very much for all your help.  Magicmoodle can you please send me a private message as I have tried to send you one but your mailbox is full.  I am very interested to know where the nuns moved to?

Thanks again for all your help

Kieran

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 January 16 12:00 GMT (UK) »
 It appears there is some confusion from reading the comments between the convent called Misbourne House in Tunbridge Wells that was run by "The Blessed Sacrament Sisters" based in Buckinghamshire and the convent/school at Beechwood on Pembury Road that is run by the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. I am not an expert on religion but I do not see a connection between these two convents. If you go on the website of www.thetowersconventschools.org you will find information about the The Blessed Sacrament Sisters and a photo of Misbourne House dated 1902.

I have researched and written an article about the history of the Beechwood building on Pembury Road covering the time when it was a convent and also a private residence etc.

I am currently researching "Misbourne House" and if anyone has any information about it I would be greatful in receiving it. One of you referred to a photo of the sisters on the friendsreuinted website but I am not a subscriber. If the photo pertains to Misbourne House can you send it by a private email to me. I would be glad to share the results of my research on Misbourne House and if anyone has a family member who was at the convent/school I would be interested in hearing from you to exchange information and photos.

Offline Tunbridge wells girl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Convent of the Blessed Sacrament, Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 May 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hello. I started my school days at the Convent of the Blessed Sacrament in 1952, which was a very large house complete with chapel and accommodation for the Sisters.  I had my first communion in the chapel with breakfast afterwards for the family, friends and Sisters in their private dining room.  Uniform in summer was Panama hat with badge, blazer and dress, in winter tunic and tie, blouse and layers of cardigans, vests and Liberty bodice as it was quite cold. The teaching Nuns were very gentle and kind.  Dancing, especially ballet was part of the curriculum.
Certainly from knowledge of other convents, each convent had their own private burial ground, simple in keeping with their lives.
Forgot to say: Beechwood's previous name was the Convent of the Sacred Heart.  It was, and still is sited on Pembury Road.  My cousin transferred there aged ten from the Blessed Sacrament, so I do know the difference!!