Author Topic: Shaw family in Arran  (Read 6393 times)

Offline Shabro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shaw family in Arran
« on: Friday 28 September 12 01:48 BST (UK) »
Archibald Shaw died on 22 March 1842 and was buried in Lochranza graveyard, as was his wife Elizabeth, nee McKelvie,  who died in Oct 1857.
Any idea as to where I could locate their birth records?

I would also be interested in making contact with any of their descendants.
My Gt Grandfather was Neil Shaw, b. around 1854 Brodick, married Catherine Jackson in Glasgow 3/11/1874

Thanks,

Shabro

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw family in Arran
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 September 12 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Shabro ,

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Have you obtained Elizabeth's death certificate ?
It should give her age and parents(If known to the informant)
Since Archibald died before the statutory records began(1855) he might be harder to find

Have you looked at the 1841 and 1851 Census to see if you can find anymore information ?

http://www.freecen.org.uk/

ev 
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Shabro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 September 12 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks, good tips. I had forgotton about the death certificate as her death was just after the commencement of certificates in 1855. I think I have already found her on the census.

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 May 13 23:55 BST (UK) »
Archibald Shaw died on 22 March 1842 and was buried in Lochranza graveyard, as was his wife Elizabeth, nee McKelvie,  who died in Oct 1857.
Any idea as to where I could locate their birth records?

I would also be interested in making contact with any of their descendants.
My Gt Grandfather was Neil Shaw, b. around 1854 Brodick, married Catherine Jackson in Glasgow 3/11/1874

Thanks,

Shabro

Hi,

i've just noticed this post. I think my wife is related to you as she is related to Jane Shaw bc1839. Jane Shaw died in 1917 although her death cert names her parents as Robert Shaw & Elizabeth McKelvie I reckon that they are related to you as they were married at Kilbride, Buteshire in 1854.
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline Shabro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 June 13 08:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry to be so long in replying – I hadn’t looked at the forum for some time.
I can't find a link with your Shaws. I don’t have a Robert Shaw married to Elizabeth McKelvie in my family tree.
My ancestors were Archibald Shaw (not Robert Shaw,) married to Elizabeth McKelvie, and I have their marriage record dated October 1816, and Elizabeth’s death Cert which shows she died in 1857 and was the daughter of John McKelvie and Mary Campbell. Archibald & Elizabeth had a son, Robert, and I have the marriage record which shows he married Mary McKinnon in 1846.
Your relative, Jane Shaw, was the daughter of Robert Shaw and Elizabeth McKelvie, married in 1854.

Regards,

Shabro

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 June 13 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hello all!

Sorry I didn't spot this one earlier but I hope you know to contact the Arran Heritage Centre, Brodick, Isle of Arran for any questions about genealogy or history on the island?

http://www.arranmuseum.co.uk

The staff there are all volunteers and it isn't manned all the time but they are wonderful.

Kind regards, Arranroots :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Shabro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 June 13 23:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, the Arran museum is very useful. I made a trip to Arran to visit it  while on a trip  back to Scotland to see my relatives. However note that the archives section of the museum is open only on specific Wednesdays, depending upon time of year - so check the website before making travel plans. I certainly endorse the helpfulness of the archive staff, absolutely marvellous. There is a good collection of local information and the staff draw on their own memories of local history, places, and people. I obtained a lot of useful information.

Shabro

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 June 13 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Shabro

Glad you found the museum helpful. As you say, best to check before visiting, though they correspond by email at all times of the year. I hope you enjoyed your visit to the island. As you might guess, I have spent some time there myself!

Kind regards, Arranroots :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)