Author Topic: *COMPLETED* James Fraser 1788-1865  (Read 6032 times)

Offline valeriekerr11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* James Fraser 1788-1865
« on: Friday 28 September 12 07:12 BST (UK) »
I found the details of the marriage of James Fraser to Christina Gray on familysearch.org , what I would like to know is the name of his parents, or at least his father.
Hoping someone can help!

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY9R-DQC

Valerie
Kerr, Millar, Hay, Wisnom, McArthur, McBride, Archer, Noble
Martin, McGookin, Bradford, Telford, Moreland, Craig, Arbuthnot, McGahey

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: James Fraser 1788-1865
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 September 12 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie ,

Have you tried his death certificate for his parents names ?
Hopefully the informant would have known who they were

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 September 12 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie,

Two public trees on A/try for this chap, both have his birth in Rosshire to a Lt Col James Fraser and Mary Lloyd ... have you already investigated and discounted this information?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 September 12 10:39 BST (UK) »
What you have there is the index pointing to a marriage record in the Edinburgh St Cuthbert's parish register. You can, and should plan to, view the original, which is available online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk at modest cost.

However it won't tell you the name of James' father; if it did, this would also be in the index entry.

The only sure way is if James died in Scotland after 1855, because in that case his father's name should be on his death certificate. When you are looking for a death of a husband with a common name, it is often useful to go for his wife's death first, because that is indexed under both her maiden name and her married name. The index at Scotland's People lists two deaths of Christi* Gray or Fraser between 1855 and 1899, but neither is in Midlothian.

I see that James and Christina had at least four children, all baptised in St Cuthbert's
Jane Macgregor, born 23 May 1823
James Lloyd, born 15 August 1825
Louisa Mary, born 18 November 1827
Robina Gray, born 30 April 1836

It's possible that the baptism records might contain some clues, such as the names of witnesses.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 September 12 10:51 BST (UK) »

Offline valeriekerr11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 September 12 22:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your quick responses, some questions answered, some questions raised.

Gali, I'm fairly certain that Lt Col James Fraser and Mary Lloyd is correct, on Ancestry the father of this James is Hugh married to Mary McCullock whereas the other researcher has the father as James Frazer (with a 'z') married to Mary Murray, I can't find details of either marriage.
Ev, I have the death records of James and Christina in Tasmania. No further details I'm afraid.
Forfarian I think the James "Lloyd" reinforces the grandmother as Mary Lloyd.
Kerr, Millar, Hay, Wisnom, McArthur, McBride, Archer, Noble
Martin, McGookin, Bradford, Telford, Moreland, Craig, Arbuthnot, McGahey

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 September 12 07:30 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find a will for either James Fraser (d. 1813) or Mary Lloyd (d. 1845).  I'm sure you have seen that there is one for James Fraser (d.1865) on the Tas government site.

But ... have you seen this very interesting - but unsourced - information from the Cyclopedia of Victoria?  It starts as a biog of Charles Forbes Fraser and then goes into detail on the careers (but not family info or their heritage) of his father James, his grandfather James and his great grandfather, also James.
http://archive.org/stream/cyclopediavicto00smitgoog/cyclopediavicto00smitgoog_djvu.txt

I am no expert in military genealogy so perhaps it might be worth posting on the Armed Forces board to find out how to verify any of the detail contained in that document?

The only primary source that I have found that backs up the information in the Cyclopedia is the bit that has James Fraser (the great grandfather of Charles Forbes Fraser) 'adjutant of the Edinburgh Militia' and sure enough there is a Will on SP for a James Fraser from 1828 'Adjutant of the Edinburgh Militia, Residing at Lugton near Dalkeith'.  It's 9 pages long - what does it say?!

I see from your profile that you are in Canberra, perfectly situated to get to the NLA and review these 'Papers of Patricia Clarke' you need box 16A ...  a few gems in there to investigate?!
http://nla.gov.au/nla.ms-ms8363

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 September 12 07:39 BST (UK) »
Could be worth keeping an open mind as to whether Mary Lloyd was James Fraser's (d. 1865) mother and not 'just' James Fraser's (d. 1813) second wife is that the obit for her in Trove has her as 'the wife', not 'the mother' of James Fraser ...  The Melbourne Argus, Tuesday 23 June 1846, ' At Leamington Spa, on the 21st December last, Mary Lloyd, widow of the late Colonel James Fraser, of HM 78th Highlanders, who was killed in the Island of Java, in 1813'

Mary Fraser is on the 1841 census, 'independent', Wellington St, Leamington Priors.

Also, need to find out if James Fraser (d.1813) was in India in 1802 as there is a wedding in Calcutta on 21st Dec between a James Fraser and Mary Lloyd. 

Listed here, in Jan 1803 Marriages:
James Fraser, of H. M. 78th regiment, to Miss Lloyd, sister of E. Lloyd, Esq

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0reu/

Link shrink - stretching page

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 September 12 09:18 BST (UK) »
Forfarian I think the James "Lloyd" reinforces the grandmother as Mary Lloyd.

Yes, I would agree that it suggests a family connection, but in the light of the 1802 marriage it may just be that James gave his son his stepmother, surname as a middle name.

I would spell McCulloch with a final 'h', not a 'k', and I wouldn't bother too much whether Fraser has an 's' or a 'z' in the middle. I know that looks illogical, but in the first case the change of letter changes the pronunciation of the name, and in the second it doesn't.

According to  G F Black's The Surnames of Scotland all early versions of MacCulloch end in the 'ch' sound - a voiceless glottal fricative. A few versions have no final consonant at all, but none of them has a final 'k' sound - a voiceless glottal plosive. The use of 'k' reflects the inability of the average non-Scots speaker of English to pronounce the Scots 'ch'; some cannot even distinguish the two sounds when they hear them.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.