Author Topic: Ayling family  (Read 9433 times)

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ayling family
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 June 16 04:16 BST (UK) »
It says "Wm" for William, father of Isaac, in the original records. Some have transcribed it as John or Edmund in error. If you look at the entries below Isaac the clerk is repeatedly using "Wm" for William. Also a very faint entry for an Elizabeth in 1798.

Chainsaw: how did you come up with father to William from Alton, Hampshire?

Chris Ayling

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 June 16 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Chainsaw hasn't been online since 2012, but hopefully will see or receive notification of your reply.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 01:25 BST (UK) »
Maybe he still gets an e-mail "head's up" as I did to this post. Nothwithstanding I guess this post is more of a reference for others (like me) who come across these posts in years to come :)

Looks like William (father to Isaac) was from Greatham according to 1851 census for Broadwater, Worthing in Sussex. I believe someone else posted this link indepdendent of me previously on Rootsweb. I can't recall the post but think it was here.

A check of the one set of parish records currently accessible via familysearch.org shows no baptism for him in/around that time in Greatham. So born but not baptized there, or born elsewhere and that was the birthplace he recalled. Or transcription error in the census, but it does look like "Greatham." Nothing nearby with similar name.

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 September 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
See my tree "John Ayling (B. abt 1540) of Petersfield Hampshire & descendants Family Tree" on ancestry.com (or message me for the .GED) for this entire family line. William likely born in Felpham (not Greatham: this was probably a census taker transcription or recording error in the 1851 census) to Thomas Ayling (1734-1794) and Elizabeth Greenwood. Thomas probably originally for nearby South Bersted. His father was likely John Ayling, born 1712 in South Bersted. John's father was Richard Ayling. He was born somewhere around 1680 and I suspect he came from Felpham.

Aldingbourne: https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.ayling/359/mb.ashx
South Bersted: https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.ayling/398/mb.ashx
Felpham: https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.ayling/385/mb.ashx

Chris Ayling,
Canada

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 22 September 18 04:20 BST (UK) »
I have an autosomal DNA match with a descendant of William Ayling via his granddaughter Caroline Ayling (B. 1844). This puzzled me because I did not see a link between my Ayling ancestors (in the Graffham/Woolavington area) and the Aylings of Broadwater/Worthing.

In the 1851 census William says he was born about 1767 and from Greatham. I thought this might have been transcribed in error for Graffham. And there is a William born there in 1767...but he is deceased in 1767. However, there is a William Ayling born in 1766 in nearby Woolavington. There was a lot of movement between Graffham and Woolavington for Ayling families. For example, my 6X great grandfather James Ayling (1774-1860) was born in Woolavington. His father Thomas Ayling (1738-1820) was from Graffham. James' son John Ayling (1804-1890) raises his family in Graffham.

So what I am saying is that perhaps William Ayling of "Greatham" was the son of Thomas Ayling (1738-1820) of Graffham, brother to my 6X great grandfather James Ayling (1774-1860). If so, this other person and I would share about .7% of autosomal DNA from Thomas. Is this enough for Ancestry to pick up? I'm not sure.

The only way to know for sure would be for an Ayling male descendant of William to take a YDNA test and compare to my test results. If you are that person, contact me at  * . Or contact me via the Ayling Surname Project at www.familytreedna.com/groups/ayling-surname/about/background

Cheers,

Chris Ayling

* Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice to prevent others spamming or abuse it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thanks

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 July 19 16:24 BST (UK) »
William Ayling (1767-1855) was born in Graffham, not Greatham, West Sussex, son of Thomas Ayling (1738-1820). Confirmed via YDNA testing. One of William's male descendants and I both tested and we match consistent with my confirmed ancestor James Ayling (1775-1860) and William being brothers. My research confirming my 5X great grandfather James was also confirmed via YDNA matches with two other of his descendants.

Mystery solved :)

Chris Ayling

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 July 19 14:38 BST (UK) »
Thats a great outcome Chris :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)