Author Topic: Lannan Family  (Read 30999 times)

Offline steveburns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lannan Family
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody - I've been reading posts on this forum with interest, and have a question:

My 2GGrandaunt was Mary Connery (b1823) from Clintstown in Kilkenny.  She married William Joseph Lannan (b1830) in Conahy Parish Church on 17th October 1848.  They migrated to Australia in August 1875, arriving in Adelaide on the Epanimondas.

Mary's sister, my 2GGrandmother Sarah Connery (b1821) married Patrick Maher (b1820) of Clintstown in Conahy Parish Church on 29th May 1840.

Both couples migrated to Australia and started large dynasties in NSW.

I need to trace the Connery, Lannan and Maher families' earlier history and lineage in Kilkenny.

Can anyone help me???
thanks
Steve

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 30 July 15 22:12 BST (UK) »
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635332#page/4/mode/1up
Entry for a Baptism
8 Oct 1832     Judy    Parents  Martin Farrell  Cath Lannan
                      Sponsors John McDonnell   Anna Fogarty

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0982

Link for Conahy Parish Registers

Offline krlannan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 17 January 16 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.  I am just now reading these posts. My ancestor was Michael Lannan that married Bridget Brenan. I am a descendant of James Lannan from Loogootee, Indiana who is descended from Michael Egan Lannan as my research shows. The last known link to Ireland is through Michael Lannan and Bridget Brenan although my research stopped there and cannot find when, how or why ancestors emigrated to the United States. I am related at some point to the aforementioned Bernie Lannan. I am very interested in putting together ancestor information for our boys. I know we come from Lannan's from New Ross, County Wexford and that there might be a gravestone somewhere there.  We hope to be planning a trip to Ireland in May 2017, but would love to hear from any of you who might be able to help in the meantime. We currently live in Iowa...my grandfather was 'Thomas" Albert Lannan from Davenport. He was one of the older of 13 children of James Lannan and Sarah Jane McCracken.

Thanks, all
Kevin Lannan

Offline maree murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 02:15 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendant of martin lannan.his son was patrick lannan born 1823 in kilkenny and his son was
james lannan born in1858 at janefield victoria australia.my grandmother was his daughter .her name was ellen lannan and she was born in 1900 in northcote victoria australia.

maree murphy

Offline 888shelley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie,  I am a ggdaughter of Patrick Lannan, my father waas Joseph  Lannan. I have done quite a bit of research on the familywhich I have recorded on Ancestry.com,  if you would like to see my  site send me your email address and I'll  send you an invite.  You are most welcome to copy details as I love  sharing information,  you may also be able to fill in some of my gaps! I am living in QLD, but lived in Vic
when I was young however  only a few of the family kept in touch after my dad died  (Lesley HunterLannan).                      Regards Shelley Lannan Clark

Offline steveburns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shelley and Maree

my message from Feb 15 below asked about a William Lannan born Kilkenny 1830 and migrated to Adelaide in 1852 with his wife Mary Connery.  They had been married in Conahy Parish Church on 17 Oct 1848.

Shelley - could you please invite me to your ancestry tree?  My email is (*)

I am desperately trying to find any siblings/family of "my" William Lannan.

[the Patrick Lannan mentioned in your respective below messages do not seem to be the same person - the dates seem too far apart?  I might be wrong.]

regards

Steve Burns 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline maree murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 17 March 16 01:09 GMT (UK) »
to shelly888

Hi Shelly my email is  (*)

Regards Maree Murphy

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline rslytle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 06:08 BST (UK) »
krlannan,

Saw your post.  I am the great granddaughter of James Lannan and Sarah Jane McCracken Lannan of Daviess County Indiana.  (FYI) My grandmother Rose Isabel Lannan O'Neal was a sister to Thomas Albert Lannan and Samuel Perry Lannan grandfather of aforementioned Bernie Lannan.  I do not have much information on Michael Lannan and Bridget Brenan, but I do have information on Sarah Jane's family and Mary Ann Brewer Lannan's family, if you are interested.

Michael Lannan and Mary Ann Brewer Norris were married in Daviess County, Indiana on 7 Aug 1859. Their children are:
William 1860-?
John 1862-1950
James 1864-1954
Thomas 1866-1959
Micheal 1868-1941
Mary Elizabeth 1871-?
Patrick 1873-before 1880
All were born in Daviess County, Indiana

Hope this helps
Rosanne Lytle

Offline OhUallachain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 23 July 17 00:46 BST (UK) »
This is an old thread, but I wonder if this is the same Lannen/Lannan family as my Grandmother's family. She spelled her maiden name Lannen. Family lore has Phillip Lannen born in New Ross, Wexford and immigrated to Detroit, MI. He was probably in some way related to a William H Lannen who I think has Canadian ties (Canada is our closest neighbor in SE Michigan). William H Lannen was a witness to Phillip's marriage. I've hit a lot of dead ends with Phillip and his parents.

My tree goes as follows.
1. Phillip Lannen, born around 1859 Ireland, possibly New Ross, Wexford. Arrived in US 1880 or 1882.
Married - Bridget Comiskey (born 1857 Ireland, died 1905) in Detroit, 1884.
Married - Ella McNulty? (born 1869 Canada?, died unknown) in Detroit, 1907
2. Joseph Lannen, born 1886 Detroit, died 1976. My great-grandfather was married with 6 kids, 1 still living. Joseph was an only child.
3. My grandmother Kathleen 1923-2004. Grandma lived in Michigan her entire life.
4. My mother - still living

All of them were Catholic.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Patrick snr Lannan 1760 married to Catherine Maher. No siblings for either of them

sons 1) Martin Lannan c1790 married to Anastasia Griffen
                son Patrick Lannan 1823 married to Bridget Farrell 1825 , Swiftsheath, Kilkenny, emigrated to Australia c1850
                      I have no siblings for either Patrick or Bridget, but have their 11 children!

2)Michael Lannan c1794 (b. New Ross, Wexford) married to Bridget Brenan,(b. New Ross), both lived Swiftsheath, emigrated to Canada and to USA.  At least 6 children..  I have their descendants!
They were RCatholic, and other info suggests Patrick may have left Ireland as an IRA suspect.
From your list 1831 Tithe Defaulters,  is it possible that any are siblings or cousins? i have come across a couple of the names before but couldn't find concrete info to link them (Pat/Edward/John)
Is John Lannan d. 1760 Pat snr's father and Mary the mother.?
My other trail is Bridget Farrell's family, father Martin Farrell b.1790 Swiftsheath? mother Anastasia Breen born either Swiftsheath or Carlow. Martin lived and died c 1801 in the same place, was a renowned bonesetter and horseman.
I believe the name Butler is also connected, but no idea how.  Have also been told Lannan is derived from Leonard.""""

That caught my attention enough for register and log in. I have Phillip's father as Patrick Lannen with unknown birth (1830's or earlier) from two sources. I also have two different potential names for his mother from those same sources. Mary Morin on his death certificate, and Bridget Breen as his mother on his marriage license record.

I had an ancestry DNA match, as did my mom, so someone in Illinois with the names James (born 1843 Ireland) and Rosa Lannan (Born 1883 Missouri). I don't know where that connection is.

Family lore has a British soldier buried in their backyard somewhere, so IRA or Fenian support would not surprise me in the least.