Author Topic: Lannan Family  (Read 31015 times)

Offline 888shelley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lannan Family
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 23 July 17 05:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, you are on the right track.  I am not sure how Phillip fits in,possibly a cousin, I know my gfather was a wild Irish lad with very strong opinions!  I am sure that the Lannan family were IRA. Will investigate further and re contact you. I have also been told of the Leonard connection by a chap who said he had researched Lannan back to 1180s.Regards  Shelley

Offline OhUallachain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 26 August 17 18:32 BST (UK) »
While I'm not 100% sure it's the same family, I found a likelihood that I am tied to Lannens AND Lannans (just a spelling change) of Wexford County. Things got strange on my research however. I'm not a believer in coincidences for the most part, but I found something real strange, and almost creepy on the 6 degrees side of things.

My mom has a 4th cousin DNA match to a Flynn, who is a descendant of some Lannans (spelled "an") and Clares. The family lore I mentioned earlier is that Phillip Lannen (b1859), my mom's Great Grandfather, was born in New Ross, Wexford. Phillip's father is named Patrick.

A Richard de Clare may possibly have been an Earl of Pembrook. His son Robert Clare was born in Enniscorthy, County Wexford and married Johanna Gorman. Robert's daughter Bridget married a John Lannan, born 1826 Clare?, Ireland. John's parents were  William Patrick Lannan (hmmm does he have a son named Patrick?) and Mary Powers. (estimated birth around 1800) Both were given a birthplace on this tree of Cushinstrown, Townland Mylserspark, Wexford, Ireland.

Bridget Mary Clare was born 1836 in Clare?, Ireland, and died in 1917 in Goderich, Ontario. John Lannan died 1881 in Huron County Ontario. His daughter Mary Elizabeth Lannan was born 1859 in "Caledonia Canada" and died 1935 in Cook County, Illinois. She married a James Flynn. Flynn's not a name on my tree and is the surname of this DNA match.

Clare and Wexford seem a good distance away, so I'm not 100% sure of that tree location.

I remember seeing another Clare surname family tree tied in to my mom's side of the family and took a look as it. This now may get strange. That's probably the same Clare family, put the relation as somewhere else. This Clare family tree goes back to 1862, with the town of Goderich Ontario - same as Bridget Clare (later Lannan). Robert Clare born 1902 married a Mary Watson. Mary's sister Sarah Ann Watson is my 2nd Great Grandmother - on a different Bohemian Czech side of my family. She married John Karlek. Her daughter Irene Karlek married Joseph Lannen. The name Watson was anglicized in Canada from a Bohemian Czech surname.  Interesting, Mary's maiden name might have been Karlek, so there could have been a two siblings married to two siblings case. John Karlek was from Bohemia directly and as far as I know, didn't live in Canada.

Would Mr. Flynn's DNA match my moms (and mine) through the Watsons? I don't see how that would be possible (assuming it is the same Clare family). Flynn's likely common ancestor with Robert Clare would be Bridget Clare or her father also named Robert - before the Watsons married into that family. The only Clares that I know I'm related to would be the youngest Robert (born 1937) on that tree onward through his mother's Watson lineage. My Karlek/Watson DNA is Mom, her mom (Lannen), her grandmother Karlek, Sarah Watson (Canadian native), and Sarah's father John or probably Jan Watson from Bohemia.

Related on two or three family lines.  :o Things just got strange. I don't believe in coincidences. I think some Catholic Irish and Czech families lived in the same area, moved to the same neighborhoods, and went to the same churches.

For those who don't know Canadian geography, Huron County Ontario is across Lake Huron from Michigan, and not far from the Blue Water Bridge. Sarah Watson was from London, Ontario before moving to Detroit, the largest city in the area and halfway between Detroit and Toronto. Canada is another country, but it's a close geographic neighbor and a fluid border.

I found a Michigan death certificate for a Patrick Lannen born 1862, died 1928. It's not Phillip's father. Parents are John Lannen and Bridget Clare - same names with one letter off in spelling as Mary Lannan's parents. That's the same spelling of my Lannen branch. The death certificate has him born in Ireland instead of Canada. Either there's another couple named John Lannen and Bridget Clare, the birthplace (either Canada or Ireland) was wrong, or Patrick at some point had his name spelled differently. I'm thinking the latter.

------------------------------
I have yet to find an 1859ish birth record of Phillip in Ireland. I know there's at least one Phillip Lannan in Wexford. One from Old Ross married to Ann Power was born a generation before 1868 (Martin Lannan) and my guess would be a cousin or uncle. My ancestor was married twice, both in Michigan, to Bridget Comisky (my grandmother's grandmother) and later after widowed Ella McNulty from Canada.

Offline 888shelley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 05:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, hope my info was of use to you.  There are many different ways of spelling Lannan /Lennon,  I am an "an", I  agree that researchin Irish relatives is hard work,  mainly because all records held in Dublin were Idestroyed by fire,  so most will come from other sources such as parish records,  Griffith Valuation.  I am in a similar situation to you,  I know that most of the Lannan family from Wexford /Kilkenny /Carlow are related but having a problem working out siblings , cousins,  aunts and uncles etc. Another site that may be useful to you is ireland.com, one of their researchers has taken photos of old gravestones and I have picked up a bit from there.
Clare is quite a way from Kilkenny etc, but remember it is not a very large island, also that many people were taken from the north to work on farms in the south  (I cant think of the name that was given to these forced moves atm).
Another thing to remember is that the traditional naming of children was that they were named after grandparents,  then parents, which is why there are so many similar names in a family!
I have most of my Lannan family on Ancestry.com,  my ggpa came to Australia from Ireland,  his brother went to Canada which is where most of the USA /Canada Lannan family comes from.  From what I know of my ggpa he was a strong supporter of the  IRA, and I suspect that the family migrated to other countries to avoid the  law! Many of them were listed in police records but haven't followed that up yet.  If you would like to see my site on Ancestry.com,  send me your email address and I'll send you an invite.  I'mvery happy to share information,  there is one chap I have had contact with who claims he has traced Lannan back to the 1100's, but won't share,  grrr!  Keep in touch!
Regards,  Shelley Lannan Clark
Just had another thought, have you been in touch with Bernie Lannan,  he is in the USA and has quite a bit of info about Lannan family there.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 06:12 BST (UK) »
You may like to read what records were in fact lost to the fire in Dublin,
http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/irish-records-burned.html
and what wasn't lost.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 06:27 BST (UK) »
The IRA was created in 1919 so any rebel prior to this date will have belonged to some other rebel group.
IRA pension records are gradually coming online here
http://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/online-collections/military-service-pensions-collection

Offline OhUallachain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Well, I found the connection between those trees. My Lannens were once Lannans. The William Patrick Lannan and Mary Powers on the Flynn tree are probably my 4th great grandparents.

I think the John Lannan on that tree was the brother of the Patrick Lannan (or Lannen - not sure when spelling changed) on my tree. I found a Patrick Lannan born in Old Ross, Wexford 3-23-1813, much earlier than I would expect. Phillip Lannen (maybe originally Lannan), who was from New Ross according to family lore, claimed to be born in 1859, so I was looking for 1820-1830's era births instead. Patrick's parents on his 1813 baptism record were William Lannan and Mary "Pawar." I still haven't seen a birth record for Phillip, only a death, marriage (both in Michigan), and a citizenship paper that showed he was an Irish immigrant who probably came over around 1880 or 1882.

My guess with Patrick Lannan being around 45 years older than Philip is that he was married at least twice and that Philip was the youngest.  I still haven't found a confirmation on who Philip's mother was. I've seen the names Bridget Breen (which would make tracing difficult since I'm related to some Breens from County Kerry on my mom's paternal line as well) and Mary Morin both mentioned.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 13 January 18 18:14 GMT (UK) »
This may be of interest to 888shelley.

From book "Ossory Laois and Leinster"   Vol 1   
chapter   "The 1821 census returns in the Carrigan Manuscripts" by Fearghus O Fearghail.

Donaghmore Parish
Ballyragget

Farrell Rev. John, 80 P.P. Muckalee, superannuated
 Catherine Hanlon (Hally) sister (niece),50;
 John Hanlon (Hally), nephew, 26
Ellen Purcell  niece 6
Mary Keenan, servant, 15

Offline 888shelley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 15 February 18 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all above for the  input,  anyone managed to find the link between the Wexford , Old Rossand Kilkenny family members?  Still battling through this,

Offline lyp24

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 03 August 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Just been reading this thread as i am doing a friends family tree and came across a Dennis Lannon who married Bridget ??? He was born in 1831 and somewhere between 1853 and 1859 moved to Newcastle under Lyme Staffs. I have no idea who his parents were or Bridgets maiden name ..any advice please x
Hewson -  Durham
West - Durham
Jerry - Durham/Norfolk
Knight - Durham
Ormston - Northumberland /Durham
Laykin - Durham
Storey - Durham
Ritson - Northumberland