Author Topic: Enniskillen Court Register – Michael & Owen McConnell  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hatcher family of Hampshire England who live in Oz
    • View Profile
Enniskillen Court Register – Michael & Owen McConnell
« on: Monday 01 October 12 01:30 BST (UK) »
Greetings, my ancestor Owen McConnell & his brother Michael McConnell (son's of Terence McConnell & Bridget McGivney) were tried and convicted for murder in 1830 at Fermanagh and sentenced to 14 years transported to Sydney Cove in 1830.

In 1830 Owen was married with a family of 7 children and he was 50 years of age and Michael was 38 years of age.

I would like to know if there is any way to find out more about the trial details that relates to their conviction if possible please? Are Irish court records from 1830's available to see on line as a "public record"

Kind regards
Stephen
England: Ashem, Booth, Carter, Dealy, Hall, Hatcher(Hampshire), Leighton(Bedfordshire), Littlely, Peer, Wells(Bedfordshire), Player, Pulley, Rope, Rowe(Cornwall), Rushby, Tindall, Troon.
Scotland: Anderson, Campbell & MacKay(Fife), Adamson, Davidson, Campbell, Kennedy, Wallace(Ayreshire), Fotheringham, Gairns, Gardiner, Hogg, Sorley(Clackmannan), Lees, Luckie(Perthshire), McDonald & McLean(Isle of Skye) Duff(Glasgow)
Ireland: Kelly, Landers & Parrington(Tipperary), McConnell(Enniskillen),Tinkler

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Enniskillen, Fermanagh, Ireland Court Register – Michael & Owen McConnell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 October 12 06:50 BST (UK) »
Try PRONI, Belfast. I can see that they do have records of Assizes held in Fermanagh from Summer 1861 to 1969, under ref FER/1/2/F/1, but whether they have any earlier court records I am not sure. The records are not on-line.

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/ecatalogue.htm

Another option would be to check newspaper reports from the period. Contact Enniskillen public library to see what exists.

http://www.ni-libraries.net/libraries/enniskillen-library/
Elwyn

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Enniskillen Court Register – Michael & Owen McConnell
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 October 12 12:57 BST (UK) »
Peter Mayberry site might be able to help you.

http://members.pcug.org.au/~ppmay/convicts.htm

sailed on convict ship Hercules 11 year 1830

Michael 3 sons and 3 daughters

Owen 4 sons and 3 daughters

its say another brother James McConnel in Bond Stores

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hatcher family of Hampshire England who live in Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 October 12 23:32 BST (UK) »
G'day Elwyn & Rathmore, thanks very much for your fast reply.

The information & new contacts you both provided helps me greatly.
I have emailed the folks at Enniskillen public library and PRONI to see what they have in their archives.
Have also looked up the Mayberry site and have found Owen's page.

I had no idea until a few days ago about the McConnell's of Enniskillen, Fermanagh, Ireland being my ancestors.

Appreciate your help.

Kind regards,
Stephen

England: Ashem, Booth, Carter, Dealy, Hall, Hatcher(Hampshire), Leighton(Bedfordshire), Littlely, Peer, Wells(Bedfordshire), Player, Pulley, Rope, Rowe(Cornwall), Rushby, Tindall, Troon.
Scotland: Anderson, Campbell & MacKay(Fife), Adamson, Davidson, Campbell, Kennedy, Wallace(Ayreshire), Fotheringham, Gairns, Gardiner, Hogg, Sorley(Clackmannan), Lees, Luckie(Perthshire), McDonald & McLean(Isle of Skye) Duff(Glasgow)
Ireland: Kelly, Landers & Parrington(Tipperary), McConnell(Enniskillen),Tinkler

Offline Morgantbc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I discovered Michael McConnell was my great great grandfather recently. Details of the transport to Sydney and convictions are online,  by searching Macken riot and Michael McConnell enniskillen. Michael's son married a daughter of Patrick Rooney , who was also convicted of murder. Their descendants went to Manildra,  NSW and Parkes.

Offline hv2drive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 March 15 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I read the posts about Michael McConnell etc... with great interest. I recently discovered this information on Ancestry under another member's family tree. My family name is McGee and what information I have on file indicates they were from Fermanagh county in Ireland. Some old research from a now deceased cousin of mine shows my ancestor, William McGee, had a daughter named Ann that later married a Terrence McConnell after the family emigrated thru Canada (circa 1842-1845). Ann & Terrance settled in Illinois for a while but eventually made their way to Iowa. This old research also shows that my ancestor William had a sister named Bridget, who also emigrated, that married a "Michael McConnell". They stayed in the Woodstock, McHenry Cty. Illinois area. By any chance does this information coincide with anything you may have on file about your family? I am trying to nail down where my ancestors were prior to leaving Ireland but have not had too much luck other than references in obituaries. Thanks for anything you can provide!

Offline kookaburra3

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 October 23 11:50 BST (UK) »
I descend from Owen McConnell and Patrick Rooney, it was Owen's son, John McConnell who married Ann Rooney as below.

NSW Government Registry of Births, Deaths, & Marriages, Historical Indexes

Marriages Index. 'V185076-123/1850 / MCCONNELL / JOHN / ROONEY / ANN / LQ (Roman Catholic / Illawarra, Wollongong)'. Indicates John McConnell & Ann Rooney mar. reg. 1850, Roman Catholic Church, Illawarra District.