Author Topic: Love & Richey (Killimard) information sought  (Read 5054 times)

Offline caruby69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Love & Richey (Killimard) information sought
« on: Monday 01 October 12 03:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

This is my very first post here but I am desperately trying to go further back in my family tree.

I am a great grandson of:
a farmer named Alexander Love (b.1872, Killimard) and his wife Margaret McBride (her family tree encompasses Maxwells and at least one McCann) They married around 1903, settled in Ballyshannon area.
Their children included Lillian, Robert (Bob), Bertha, Edith, Kathleen, William, Alexander (Alec), Emily and others.

I seek as much information in particular about Alexander's Parents, also Killimard based. They are John Love (born 1828) and Anne Richey (born 1836).
They married 26/09/1854 in Killimard, I believe. Both their fathers were named William; William Love and William Richey. I don't seem to be able to find anything further back than this, so I am hoping someone reading this may be able to fill in some blanks.

Any details about their lives or more names on the family tree are very welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Cary

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Love & Richey (Killimard) information sought
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 October 12 04:53 BST (UK) »

Have you checked out these census abstracts?

http://www.ulsterancestry.com/ShowFreePage.php?id=116

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 October 12 10:42 BST (UK) »
www.familysearch.org lists several children of John Love & Anne Ritchie/Richey:
- Ellen born 14 July 1869 Donegal registration district (page 28 in civil register)
- Margaret born 17 Aug.1874 Co.Donegal
- Andrew born 15 Oct.1876 Co.Donegal
- Mary born 27 Apr.1879 Munacally, Co.Donegal
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline caruby69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 October 12 11:23 BST (UK) »
Huge thanks to you both, Gaffy and Aghadowey;D
A reply to each of you is below. If you have any tips on getting to the earlier generations details then please do let me know.

Gaffy:
Thanks for linking to the census abstracts ... Identifying which of the William Love's is John's father and Alexander Love's grandfather is proving tricky! There were a few Williams as fathers of Johns, and as the geographic area is very small, I am taking villages other than Meenacally into account. I am wondering if these Loves were basically cousins etc.
Later today I am going to write them all out on separate sheets of paper and try to do a timeline to see if anything leaps out. It would be great to home in on William's father and mother if possible, as it would be going back that extra generation (or even two) as a result.

Aghadowey:
My goodness ... that is wonderful ... thanks so much for your help as it has filled in some question marks and gives a greater idea of Alexander's childhood ... It seems he was the second born (1872). Is it likely that the spellings Richey and Ritchie were variations belonging to that same family? I was filtering out the Ritchies thinking they must be different, but this suggests otherwise.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 October 12 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Caruby and welcome

If John Love and Anne Ritchie married in 1854 I would imagine that they had some children between then and Ellen b 1869.

The thing is that civil registration only began in 1864 so you would need to look at church records to see if any children were born to them in the interim.

I did see an Anne Love b 1881 Donegal to this couple on the free index on ifhf.

I did see a marriage between a John Love and an Anne Richie in 1854 but no children between then and Ellen b 1869 ???

Are you 100% that the 1854 marriage is the correct one and not just a concidence - noticed that they didn't name any of their children William, which is unusual ( but does happen too !)

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 October 12 17:08 BST (UK) »
This looks like Anne Ritchie Love and 2 of her children in 1901

love family 1901 irish census

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 October 12 17:18 BST (UK) »
John Love obviously lived in Meenacally and you have said that his father was William Love

The 1825 Tithe Applotments show a William Love in Meenacally

william love tithe applotments

John Love is showing on the Griffiths Valuation of 1857 in Meenacally and there is a William Love there too !

john and william love gv

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 October 12 17:21 BST (UK) »
Was Edrim Glebe ever mentioned as a location  for the Richie family ?

Tara

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 October 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
If John Love and Anne Ritchie married in 1854 I would imagine that they had some children between then and Ellen b 1869.
The thing is that civil registration only began in 1864 so you would need to look at church records to see if any children were born to them in the interim.
I did see an Anne Love b 1881 Donegal to this couple on the free index on ifhf.
I did see a marriage between a John Love and an Anne Richie in 1854 but no children between then and Ellen b 1869
Are you 100% that the 1854 marriage is the correct one and not just a concidence - noticed that they didn't name any of their children William, which is unusual ( but does happen too !)

Many Church of Ireland registers do not survive before 1870s/1880s which could account for gaps from 1854 until the 1881 baptism.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!