Author Topic: stephen st Neots Dobson b1831  (Read 6517 times)

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: stephen st Neots Dobson b1831
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 November 12 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Friday 9th November 1827
“Monday last, at St Neots, Mr Dobson, dissenting minister, to Mary, second daughter of Mrs Mackenzie, of the ladies boarding school at that place”

Offline Jojopaz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 November 12 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, I've been looking for this information for so long!!  Where did you find that last piece of info?  trying to link the Dobsons/ Mackenzies but just can't find the proof that these are the right Mackenzies. (ie that Mary was the daughter of John and elizabeth Mackenzie (Symonds))

Thanks again, I really appreciate this!

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 November 12 18:36 GMT (UK) »
On 18th December 1833 , at St Neots church, Elizabeth, the third daughter of Rev J Mackenzie, married Congregational minister the Rev James Goodeve Miall. (He was the elder brother of Edward Miall who was at one time Member of Parliament for  Bradford)
Elizabeth died in 1888.
Elizabeth Miall (nee Mackenzie) had a brother Professor Mackenzie.

In October 1834 a Mrs Mackenzie of St Neots advertised that she was transferring her business to her daughter Mrs Miall, as she was leaving the  area.

In October 1835 Mrs Miall of St Neots, as successor to Mrs Mackenzie, advertised her boarding school in St Neots.

Rev J Mackenzie of Bedford, late of St Neots, had a son Rev John Morell Mackenzie, who died in 1843,aged 36,  in the shipwreck of the “Pegasus” Hall and Leith steamer, leaving a widow Joanna (the daughter of General A Trotter) but no children.

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 07:48 GMT (UK) »
As he is a Congregational minister, you will find Stephen on the Surman Index:

http://surman.english.qmul.ac.uk/start.php

which will give information about the places he served in.  The Congregational Church favoured moving their ministers around every few years.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline normandjac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 September 15 23:05 BST (UK) »
I have reasonably accurate but brief biography of S St Neots Dobson, his posts, marriages, children, and a photograph. Are you still interested?

Offline Jojopaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 October 15 10:03 BST (UK) »
I'm absolutely interested, many thanks.

Offline normandjac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 December 15 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm back. Stephen St Neots Dobson, born 1831 to Stephen Hagger Dobson, a congregational minister, and Mary Addington Mackenzie (1803-80). They were married in St Neots in 1827. I found two younger brothers James b.1832 & Charles James b.1835.....are there other siblings?
In the 1841 census I found Stephen, age 10, at the Congregational school, Hanover St., Lewisham, Kent.......with 47 other boys.
In the 1851 census I found him,described as a visitor, age 20, at Crewsling House, Langthorpe, Lancashire. He is a divinity student. He graduates with a BA.
According to the Surman index he was at the Airedale Independent College, Undercliffe, Bradford, Yorks. during 1853-55.
From 1855-58 he is 'posted' to Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk.
From 1858-67 he is in Pendleton, Lancashire, but returns to Gt Yarmouth to marry Isabel Harriet Pearson Fellows on 14th July 1859.
Isabel dies the following year (OND 1860) in Salford, Lancashire.....I don't know why, but it's tempting to think it may have been associated with childbirth??
 Shall I go on?

Offline normandjac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 December 15 16:48 GMT (UK) »
To continue; In the census 1861 Stephen is a widower living at Cheshire View, Pendleton, Lancs.
He is the minister in Pendleton from 1858 -67. On 5th Feb 1862 he marries Ruth Blagburn in Salford district. Between then and when he departs for York Street, Dublin there are 4 children born. William Mackenzie JFM 1863; Arthur Henry JFM 1864; Ernest Addington JAS 1865; Edith Isabel AMJ 1867.
He is 'posted' to Dublin where tragically Ruth dies (see Irish BMD)in 1868. Perhaps he requests a move 'home' because in 1869 he is back on the mainland as minister at Queen Street, Dover. He is living with the 4 children in Folkestone Road, Hougham. (1871 census) Later in 1871 (OND) he marries Harriet Ann Walker. The children have a 'mother' again.
In 1874 he is on the move again to Bungay in Suffolk. A son Theodore Spencer is born JFM 1878 while they are living in Upper Olland Street right next door to the chapel. This is where my interest in him begins as his housekeeper is a relative of my wife.