Author Topic: The Carpenters Arms, Newton Abbot  (Read 1821 times)

Offline FrancesJoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Carpenters Arms, Newton Abbot
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Rishile,
That's brilliant news.  I have never thought that I would be able to be in contact with any descendants of the Popes.  And without looking at my records, I'm not sure where Jane is on my tree, but I think she is a direct ancestor of mine too.  My Grandmother, was Frances Louisa Pope.  B: 11 Nov 1883; D: 7 Jun 1933.  She was the daughter of John Way Pope & Louisa M Pope, but I haven't gone back any further on her side. Many thanks for replying! Best wishes, Joy xx

Offline FrancesJoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Again,  Just to do three posts...
The John Way pope I've mentioned above was 1855 - 1935, and his parents were (another) John Way Pope 1821 - 1883 and Elizabeth Pigeon (I think), and that's as far as I've gone back so far with the Popes.  Many thanks again for replying.  Joy xx 

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 09:17 BST (UK) »
There is a connection somewhere but without looking at my notes I can't say where just yet.  I will get back to you later today.  John Way Pope and Elizabeth Pigeon are in my direct line too.  I have some information regarding John Way Pope which you may find interesting.  I also have pictures of their gravestones and those of their children.

I have searched for the Landsdowne Pub.  It looks promising, I have to say.

I'll be back in touch later today.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline FrancesJoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Rishile - will wait to hear from you later.  I will look for photos that I'm pretty sure show The Lansdowne with signage showing that it is The Carpenters Arms.  I went down to Torquay to find it in 1989, and I'm sure it was the Carpenters then.